1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinkng of deactivating my Mini's

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by overFEDEXed, Mar 19, 2013.

1. overFEDEXed

overFEDEXed Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Centerville,...
    I was thinking of taking the service off of my Mini's. I thought that it would be enough to have HuluPlus and I did want to try them out. It is not going to get it, in my household.

I called Tivo, to ask what my options were. I told the CSR that I really needed Netflix and that I just wanted to hold onto the boxes, and reactivate if/when it shows up with an update.

1: He said that I could pay $50 extra, for each box and that there would be no commitment.... No way, I could just buy them at BestBuy.

2: I could return them and pay for return shipping. He said that when I call back, they will work something out with me on the cost... Probably the route that I will take.

3: He could give me 60 days to try them out. That would give me 60 days instead of 30, to see if Netflix will appear.

The CSR said that was an update coming, in a couple of weeks.
    It WILL NOT include Netflix, but will have MLB and NASA TV??? He said that they are still working on Netflix.

Now I know that this is just a CSR, so this may mean nothing. I asked him about the two-tuner/Mini no deal. I did not mention the "Buy the four tuner, activate Mini, return four-tuner" deal, He did. He said that his friend just did this and he can see that it was going to be a problem. (The returns to retail stores.) I asked him if Tivo could do a check, when the four-tuner doesn't call in, and he didn't really reply.

I did know, before I ordered, that Netflix was not included. I'm trying to figure out my next step. The Mini's are cool but I don't really need them without Netflix.

What do you guys think? option#2

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You knew they didn't have Netflix and, even though that is deal break feature for you, you bought them anyway? :confused:

I say pay the return shipping and write it off as a lesson learned.

3. overFEDEXed

overFEDEXed Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Centerville,...
    Yes, you are right and I will do that. I was surprised that they offered a 60 day "TRIAL" though.

Yesterday, we reconfigured the house. TV's, who moving into what room, that kind of thing. Now, I don't really need them like I thought, before this last minute plan, by my wife.

They would have come in handy, with or without Netflix, on the old layout.

4. abqdan

abqdan New Member

Aug 29, 2012
    If you just want streaming media, and not an extender for the DVR, go with Roku or WD TV Live - both excellent. Roku includes hundreds of channels, but I only use it for Netflix, Hulu, and Vudu. WD TV Live has DLNA, so you can stream content from your own server.

5. Gaidin43

Gaidin43 Member

Mar 6, 2013
    The only real DVR extender that TiVo has is the stream. However you need to jailbreak the device to allow it to airplay or HDMI out to a TV. This way you could get all the shows and live tivo from your main unit and just use the Netflix app from iPad, iPod, or iPhone.

6. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Pretty funny that they already know about the buy-and-return a 4-tuner loophole to get a Mini working with 2-tuner boxes. Also pretty stupid on Tivo's part but that's nothing new.

OP the simple answer is to get a Roku if you want OTT services like Netflix, Tivo will never be the one box to get you all the extra stuff on the net anyway. You get Minis to extend Tivos, anything else is a bonus.

7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, I predict one of two things happening:
    • TiVo will concede and make it possible to pair the Mini with a 2 tuner Premiere.
    • TiVo will take a stand and make it so the 4 tuner Premiere has to remain on the network for the Mini to work.

Which one do you think TiVo will choose? I think the former, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's the latter.

8. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    What? Does this loophole last? I'm in a place where it would be nice to have a Mini now, but I don't want a 4 tuner current model (I'm holding out for the new model that may or may not appear in the fall).

9. overFEDEXed

overFEDEXed Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Centerville,...
    Nobody knows. I disconnected my four tuner, for about a day.
    The mini still functioned. I even "called in" with my boxes and everything still worked.

Aaron also tried this. Maybe he will chime in.

On my situation, with the Mini's. I really wanted that "ALL IN ONE BOX" solution. Lol.
    I have a Roku and that unit is now included in my reconfiguration.
    Maybe I will just buy the Mini's outright, put them away and if/when Netflix appears, I will activate them.

Thanks for all the input, everyone.

10. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I would love to have someone post a review of the process and experience. I have seen some anecdotal information on the forum, but it seems like I remember reading something about warning messages? It gets at least some of it's information from the host DVR - doesn't it?

I just do not know.

Also, what happens when the mini reboots? Does it loose the connection? Software update - loose the connection?

It is an interesting idea, but yeah, I am skeptical.

11. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    If people start a wave of buying Elites, then returning them, then repeating the process when a new FW update comes out, it will not take TiVo long to close the loophole off... the most likely way being they simply won't allow the Mini to work at all with 2-tuner models.

As to the OP, I'm not sure why you even bought these when you already have a multitude of DVRs. They are clearly aimed at users like me, who just want to extend the TiVo experience to other rooms of the house that have less usage.

12. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Frankly, who cares? This is a symptom of the current Tivo ecosystem and limiting the Mini to only 4 tuner boxes. Tivo states it is not supported, and anyone exploiting a loophole should be aware that it is a loophole. That being said, all the returns of Elites will create problems for Tivo in retail.

The bigger picture is that there is a demand for 2 tuner support with the Mini. Hopefully, Tivo keeps the loophole open until the next Tivo product is released.

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I rebooted my Minis when the Elite was not on the network. And when they came back up I was still able to access my OTA only Premiere. But this was only short term. No one knows if there is a time limit on the Mini being on the network without the Host P4 TiVo.

14. overFEDEXed

overFEDEXed Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Centerville,...
    Cable cards, outlet fees, cable cards, outlet fees.
    Cox cable was charging me $6 per unit for the CC and outlet fee.

I just recently changed my TV package. There are no longer any outlet fees.
    Now, it's just $2 per box. I still don't trust them and think that they will add it back, later.

I would like to get my house down to two four tuners and two Mini's.
    I've been selling off lifetimed HD's for $250 to $300 each.
    TiVo keeps doing them for me at $99 and I keep buying them, adding LT and selling them. They even told me that I should do this, so that I can put it towards four tuners and lifetime!

15. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Everyone in the market for TiVo gear should care, at least a little, because a high level of returns will trickle down eventually into higher retail pricing.

I agree, that there is a market for the ability to watch TiVo recordings from a 2 tuner Premiere. I am far more skeptical that there is a market for people who want to dedicate one of their two tuners from a 2 tuner Premiere to service a Mini.

TiVo might do an about face when dynamic tuner allocation becomes available (well, if it does). Time will tell.

16. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    It's not the consumer's responsibility to care about Tivo management decisions like this nor care about the retail impact. This situation reminds of a perverse incentive.

Tivo wants to sell more 4 tuner boxes (for valid reasons, including MoCa built in and no dynamic tuner allocation yet) along with the new Mini.

Tivo restricts the Mini extender to 2 tuner Premiere boxes only.

Customers buy 4 tuner boxes, set up the Mini, then return the 4 tuner boxes, costing Tivo money.

Yes, Tivo makes money on the Mini and stickiness of customers, but they ideally want to also sell more 4 tuner boxes and make even more money.

17. button1066

button1066 New Member

Sep 4, 2012
    I'm wondering how much extra I have to pay for all my electronic gear to cope with people who treat places like Best Buy as their special free rental place for stuff they don't even want but feel compelled to take home for a few days.

In my opinion TiVo should charge people like the OP a restocking fee so that they might be encouraged to thinks things through more thoroughly before buying more stuff they don't want in the future. Looking at the history of the OP's purchase he bought two Minis for no other reason than he couldn't be bothered to wait for the first one to show up in the mail.

18. Gaidin43

Gaidin43 Member

Mar 6, 2013
    There are reasons for return policies. You buy something and if you don't like it return it! No questions asked and I freaken hate restocking fees. It is part of doing business and factored into most company's budget and should never be passed onto consumers.

19. button1066

button1066 New Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Why would you buy something you don't like? In the case of this thread, why would anyone buy two of something they don't like? Why not ten - it's free to return them right?

You don't like restocking fees, I don't like subsidizing other people's consumer regret over impulse buys.

20. teklock

teklock New Member

Sep 11, 2012

I can't agree with you more. Reading this thread makes my head spin!