1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of Roamio - which one

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by serial_port_me05, Nov 20, 2013.

1. serial_port_me05

serial_port_me05 Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Long time tivo owner.

I got suckered into the Premiere - that thing never worked great, but I am still using it.

I am thinking of moving to Roamio, but don't want to pay for plus or pro. I suppose I am not any worse off than premiere and I can always get Tivostream later?

Does Roamio work THAT MUCH better than Premiere? Thoughts?

THANKS. Talk me into it!

2. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    Yes, it does. Light years if you're using the HD menus. Imo get the Plus....better/proven physical platform with better features. Unless you need OTA, then you be stuck with the Basic. If you want a larger HD, buy a WD 30eurs AV drive and drop it in. It's the only difference between the Plus and the Pro....cheaper and you get to keep the blank 1TB drive as a spare or for whatever.

3. videojanitor

videojanitor New Member

Dec 21, 2001
    I'll talk you into it. I was in the same boat. Had the Premiere, but stayed on the SD menus because it was painfully slow otherwise. Saw the Roamio in person and had to have it -- the difference is truly night and day. The Roamio keeps up with every button I press -- navigating menus is like walking in shoes coated with butter. I really can't believe how much better it is.

I bought the base model as I need OTA, so this was my only choice. It's pretty cool to be able to have a 30-minute buffer running on FOUR channels at once!

In short, buy it, you won't regret it. My Premiere is sitting on eBay right now ....

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Just be advised: You won't be able to do OTA and Cable simultaneously on any Roamio model.

5. chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Totally this. The Premiere was a t*rd and everyone knows it. I am amazed the Roamio came from the same engineering team.

6. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cary, NC
    The roamio basic is perfectly fine, and a good deal at $200 cheaper than the plus. If you're using it for cable, the only thing to consider is how many Tivo mini's you might want to support in the future for watching live TV.

7. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cary, NC
  8. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    I noticed best buy shows the regular price as $249.99 thats wrong isnt it $199.99 regular price for the basic roamio?:confused:

9. jhirsche

jhirsche New Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Noticed this in the Overview area of the online item ad:
    Special package savings of $50 (discounted from individual-item total: reg. price $199.99 DVR + $50 gift card = $249.99 - $50 gift card instant savings = $199.99 final price)

10. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Other things basic lacks:
    No component video out.
    No moca/ethernet bridge networking
    No giga ethernet speed Ethernet port. This makes your transfer of shows about half speed of pro :
    90 MBps vs 180 MBps i think. Note this is still fast enough for effecive streaming on base roamio from pc to TiVo. Amazon has basic for $150. If you can pricematch bestbiy to amazon plus get $50 gift card thats only $100 for basic roamio

11. bayern_fan

bayern_fan New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    As someone who started out with a base Roamio, then upgraded to a Roamio Plus, I can say that I absolutely recommend the Plus model unless OTA is needed.

Not having to deal with an external stream, having twice the storage capacity, MoCA for my TiVo Mini, and gigabit ethernet for quicker transfers are all excellent features.

Also, as Leiff mentioned, having component video means that it plays nicely with HD output to a Slingbox 350/500.

12. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Well as it happened i dont miss any of the plus features that much, so for me the base roamio was the easy best choice for me. And now at under $150 too. I bought mine at abt for $180 with coupon, i had bought a mini at the same time for $260 total, then price adjusted to amazon- abt gave me $50 back making my base roamio $130 free shipping no tax not inluding cashback Shopdiscover

13. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    one more bummer thing about the basic Romeo which probably wont bother many people but there's no hard button on the main unit to switch resolution. this does bother me because I prefer 1080 P fixed but one of my TVs can't see 1080p and i mirror to 3 different tv's from my base roamio so first I have to turn on another TV to switch resolution before I can use that TV. I believe plus/pro have a resolution button.

One more thing base raoamio lacks is remotefinder. Im not sure how this really works
    More things i like about basic:
    Smaller form factor. Fits in my av rack better.
    External power supply means easy swap out.

14. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    I still think an extra $200 spread over the generational, nominally four year, life of the product for a more capable system is trivial and worth it. Form factor size is an interesting note. For me, the standard 14 or so inch rack size works much better for component stacking.

15. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    if you're like me- the series 3 & 4 Tivo fan noise bothered you and your wanting the more quiet Romeo. I bought the basic assuming it would be more quiet but i havent compared it to to plus/ pro. It may be the noiser one because my basic roamio fan noise bothers me.

16. djjuice

djjuice New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    get the plus and upgrade the HD. don't pay extra for the pro
    built in wireless was more than enough to convince me. along with the streaming.

i was able to get a 3TB drive for $60 since nobody bid on the drive...

17. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    basic roamio also has wifi.

18. serial_port_me05

serial_port_me05 Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Thanks for all of the input. I am looking at getting a plus. I guess if I ever want to stream, or mini or whatever I may as well just get it over with now.

Also, although I have Ethernet at the tivo, I think the Moca will be cleaner.

Thanks.

19. serial_port_me05

serial_port_me05 Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Just ordered a plus. Also got a mini for $50 as an offer for buying Roamio.

THANKS.

20. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge New Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Is the hardware in the basic Roamio inferior to the Roamio plus? We got the plus first, then I got two basics because we only needed one box with external streaming. The Roamio basic units seem to be more sluggish on menus than the Plus. Is the CPU/memory/bus speed, etc the same in the basic? If it's not, I might be taking these back and getting two more plus.