1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about a mini. Wifi question

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Skpwow, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Skpwow

Skpwow New Member

Nov 15, 2016
    I have my OTA TiVo set up in the living room. I would like a mini for the bedroom. I do not have Ethernet in the bedroom. My question is, " could I set up my roamio OTA in my bedroom using my wifi, then plug the mini in the living room directly to the modem? Will this work or do I have to have both the OTA and the mini physically plugged in"? Thanks

2. CybrFyre

CybrFyre Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Yes. Tivo won't support it, but assuming your wifi is good, it will work fine.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

3. CybrFyre

CybrFyre Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Oh, just noticed the reverse q.. maybe, depending much more on wifi q.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TiVo shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    TiVo Multi-Room Streaming (MRS) officially requires a wired Ethernet or MoCA connection -- though some get away with using Powerline or wireless media adapters. Trying MRS via the built-in wireless adapter in a Roamio isn't recommended -- or supported -- but you can try.

In your case, the first thing to check is whether you have a coax connection where you'd like to place the Mini and, if so, verify this coax connection links back to your cable modem location. If so, you could install a MoCA adapter at your cable modem/router location and use MoCA to provide the Mini with its network connection.

See also: MoCA background info

5. thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    ^^^^^^ this!

All wireless stuff, including "wired" powerline adapters, is not officially supported, and it is hit or miss. None of those solutions worked for me. I had to get coax to my bedroom for using MoCa. But you can try.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Do you mean plug the Mini into your router? What model is your router?

edit: I forgot to mention that the internal WiFi of a Roamio will not support a Mini.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  7. snowghost

snowghost New Member

Oct 9, 2009
    I bought a Netgear extender with Ethernet port for my bedroom Mini. The Roamio OTR was initially on it's own internal wireless, but wouldn't stream at all, saying the network was too slow. So I hooked it up by Ethernet to a wireless extender in my media room. Live TV is glitch free. Streaming recorded shows is good, but once a night or so I get the slow network error. The bummer with that error is you lose the Resume function and must start the program from the beginning.

If it keeps happening, I'll try Ethernet over AC.

Edit: I also set DHCP Reservations for both boxes.

8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Good move. I use an ASUS EA-N66R for my one Roamio and never have a problem with streaming real time TV to a Mini. I never use streaming on the Mini though, so no comments. The Roamio works with all the streaming services fine. Better than my Blu-ray or Roku except for audio. BTW, the Mini uses a Linksys WUMC710. It has a smart TV connected that can do the streaming.

9. thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    You are going through what I went through last month. See my thread below:

Wifi range extender for Mini

If you are not patient reading all posts, you can skip to last one for final solution.

10. CycleMost

CycleMost New Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Short answer: YES! I have done exactly this - my Roamio is connected via WiFi and my Mini is connected via wired Ethernet directly into my router. The performance is good, although as previously mentioned in this thread TiVo doesn't officially support it. Your WiFi has to be very fast, though. In my case the Roamio is very close to the wireless router (Netgear 5G ac) and I have exceptional (200Mb/s) Internet speed.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016