1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"The Wire" - Premiered 10 years ago

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Malcontent, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Jun 2, 2012 #1 of 36
    Malcontent

Malcontent Aka: Smiling Bob

Sep 4, 2004
    Ohio
    http://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...re-feels-dated-and-thats-a-good-thing/257910/

Great, great television.

2. Jun 2, 2012 #2 of 36
    getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    NYPD Blue was cutting edge for its time.
    Hill Street Blues was cutting edge before that.
    How is The Wire so different from other cop shows? I haven't seen it -- yet.

3. Jun 2, 2012 #3 of 36
    TheMerk

TheMerk Always Bid First

Feb 26, 2001
    Salt Lake...
    You'll know it when you see it.

Honestly, it's not a cop show, it's so much more than that.

4. Jun 2, 2012 #4 of 36
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I actually just finished watching the series last week. Amazing show.

getreal, it's not about the show being cutting edge. It's just about how intricate and realistic and moving it is. The show deals with the idea that various established institutions are failing (police department, unions, government, schools, newspapers), and this is leading to the decay of the American city.

If/when you do watch, I highly recommend reading Alan Sepinwall's episode deconstructions on sepinwall.blogspot.com and on http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching. Those really helped me understand everything that was going on and appreciate how detailed everything is.

5. Jun 2, 2012 #5 of 36
    jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    I disagree about reading Sepinwall's analysis. At least, don't read it after the first few episodes. Wait until after you're watched the first season. IMO... YMMV.

My word of advice which I give everyone who is about to start watching The Wire... give it at least three episodes go get going. Maybe even 4 or 5. There are MANY layers of details that are established in the first few episodes and it takes a while for them to fall together into the intricate tapestry which is The Wire. But once it all comes together and you start to see how the pieces play off each other, it is magical.

6. Jun 2, 2012 #6 of 36
    cherry ghost

cherry ghost Active Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    I agree with jradosh, give it at least 4-5 episodes.

I'd recommend reading Tim Goodman after each episode/season.

7. Jun 2, 2012 #7 of 36
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Just out of curiosity, why would you stay away from Sepinwall's reviews until after the first season? I found them immensely helpful.

Totally agree with this. Unlike most TV series, The Wire doesn't start out with an episode that's 90% exposition like most network TV series. It just drops you into this world that's been ongoing and expects you to catch up. It takes a few episodes to get up to speed on characters, mannerisms, lingo, etc. But once you do, it's very worth it.

8. Jun 2, 2012 #8 of 36
    ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    What I found most enjoyable about The Wire was watching it the second time. So, so, so many intricacies to understand and appreciate upon repeat viewings.

9. Jun 3, 2012 #9 of 36
    jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    The first viewing should be 100% dedicated to just watching and absorbing the show. Throw in too much analysis the first time and it slows down the flow. It's like if you're having a conversation with someone and you stop to analyze each sentence.... it just kills the flow of the conversation.

Like ClutchBrake implies... no matter how much prep or research you do before/after each episode, the simple fact is that the series is much more enjoyable on second (or third or fourth) viewing. There's simply that much detail and nuance! I think you should save the episode analysis for the second viewing.

10. billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    Watching while reading Sepinwall is kind of like reading Moby Dick while also reading the Cliff Notes at the same time. There is definitely a value that it helps you identify the characters and themes, but it also could interrupt your flow.

I watched while reading the recaps. I don't think it ruined my enjoyment, and it certainly helped me pick up on things I never would have during a first run viewing.

11. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    The Wire isn't the most entertaining program, but it's important, dramatic, and interesting.

12. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I think I only gave it one episode (or maybe two) and it didn't grab me. I should try it again.

13. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    I had to try it twice before I finally got into the rhythm. It's a very dry production.

14. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    This is one of the greatest television series ever.

The writing, the acting, the characters, the themes explored - everything about it is simply excellent.

I agree with those who say to give it a few episodes...the character development is so intricate and fully fleshed out that it takes time for everyone to get established. This is NOT a cop show. The star of this show is the city of Baltimore, and the series puts a magnifying glass upon it. The five seasons are written like individual novels - each tells its own tale - while the series arc involves several main characters. But the central theme is the city itself.

Beyond brilliant.

15. fmowry

fmowry Active Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    CC helps too especially during some of the urban scenes with Baltimore specific lingo.

16. jilter

jilter Happy to be here.

Oct 4, 2002
    This thread has been great, thanks!
    I have tried to watch The Wire and could not follow the dialogue.
    i know it is all me, I have a short attention span.

17. goblue97

goblue97 Welcome Home, Jimmy!

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    I seem to recall Sepinwall having two separate blogs about this show. One was for first time viewers that didn't spoil upcoming episodes and the other contained information that related to future events so that you could see how well thought out it was. Keep that in mind if you plan on seeking them out.

18. tivoboyjr

tivoboyjr Unregistered User

Apr 28, 2003
    I consider myself someone who doesn't like cop shows. But The Wire (and also The Shield) are two of my favorite shows. They're incredibly well done and draw you into the world on the show. They are not standard cop shows by any means. With The Shield, watching the pilot episode should tell you whether it's a show for you, whereas for The Wire, I think you need to watch a few episodes to get a feel for it.

19. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    I watched it for the first time 2 years ago, JUST finished watching it w/ my Wife a month ago.

REALLY loved it the 2nd time (seeing characters early on after knowing their whole story) and it's just a great show.

I was going to say that it was a slow moving show while at the same time a LOT happening.

I think saying that it's a dry production is perfectly put!

20. Malcontent

Malcontent Aka: Smiling Bob

Sep 4, 2004
    Ohio