1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The wife gave the OK to buy a Premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by urwathrtz, Aug 20, 2012.

1. urwathrtz

urwathrtz Death Metal Dad

Jan 18, 2008
    Upstate, NY
    This is huge, she is sooooo cheap ;)

I want to put my Series 3 in the bed room and put the Premiere in the Den. The question I have is, the Series 3 has an external hard drive connected to it, that I wanted to put on the new Premiere, is this a problem? Not to concerned about loosing the shows, most of it is stuff my kids recorded.

2. HeatherA

HeatherA Old AVS Forum Member

Jan 9, 2002
    You can do that, but you will lose all the recordings once you un-marry it to the S3. Congrats on the Premiere!

3. WVZR1

WVZR1 Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    Sounds like the S3 should stay where it's at unless you want to move the "kids to the bedroom" also!

4. Gary-B

Gary-B Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Texas
    It will only work if it's a WD My DVR Expander. The S3's you could use any external esata drive and case, but the Premiere's you have to use the WD version.

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    My vote is to keep the external HD with the Series 3 and upgrade the Premiere's internal HD (after the warranty period is over, of course. ;)).

If you are somewhat computer literate, instructions are simple and it only costs the price of a blank hard drive and your time. :)

6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you're getting a Premiere, look into leveraging that to get the $99 lifetime on the S3 offer.

7. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You lose the everything ON THE S3 ALSO that was recorded since the external drive was added..

8. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    Are you concerned about losing the shows on the new Premiere when the external drive dies? I guess it depends on the age of the external drive, but if it's in the same era of the S3, I wonder how much longer it's got. I think if the external drive fails, everything is gone.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this point.