1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Trophy Wife S1 Thread

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    We don't seem to have interest in an episode thread, so I'll create a season one.

I thought this past episode was the best of the bunch. I think maybe it hit home some because their daughter is 14, same age as my daughter, and I get the whole privacy thing. It's a fine line between it being "Your house, your rules" and respecting your teen's privacy. I liked how "hooked up" was so misconstrued. I loved Bert using Yiddish expressions (and I understand them as my mother spoke it) and Kate says something like, "I don't know how Bert learned Yiddish but please don't make him stop" Cracked me up. I also liked how Diane knew all the texting culture stuff...catfishing and all that.

This show is really starting to grow on me a lot.

2. brianric

brianric Active Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    Latest episode caused me to delete SP.

3. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    I've been trying to catch up with some of the new show premieres, and I just watched the first episode the other night. I found it surprisingly funny.

4. Hoffer

Hoffer Captain Chaos

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I deleted the show after the second episode. I didn't hate the show, but I didn't especially like it either. I think Modern Family is all the family sitcom I have capacity for.

5. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Give E3 a shot if you can find it. It definitely had a MF vibe to it, and I thought it was very funny.

6. Maui

Maui Major Lee Oblivious

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I am sticking with it so far mainly because I like all of the cast. It has some good moments as well.

7. fmowry

fmowry Active Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    First episode was very good. 2nd episode stunk. Haven't watched the 3rd.

8. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    My wife and I are mildly enjoying it so far - it's got a really strong cast. I'm not sure that I like the re-cast of the daughter between the pilot and when the series went into production, although I guess they wanted a different vibe for the character, I'm just not sure that I like her all that much.

9. Maui

Maui Major Lee Oblivious

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I really liked Bailey Madison on Once Upon A Time playing young Snow White. She does not stand out on this show nearly as much.

10. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I think it is by far the best of the freshman sitcoms but I also don't think it is destined to be long for this world.

11. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Active Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    I'm liking it, especially the third ep.

Kind of wish this had been given the Wednesday slot after Modern Family.

12. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    There's a lot of good stuff on this show for me, but hands-down my favorite part is their Chinese son. He's hilarious and makes me smile whenever he's on screen.

13. stellie93

stellie93 Active Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I love the kid too and the ex wives. But the best friend is a little over the top. "You got married and I didn't hear from you for a week. You mean our honeymoon?" Funny, but no one is that selfish. I hope.

14. billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    Warren was excellent in this episode.

"Meg, you ate the styrofoam?'

15. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    That would have been great.

I was expecting the solar system to get used when they were making their drinks.

Curry infused mustard.

16. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Not hilarious, but I too like the cast. It's a big step down from The West Wing though, for the main guy.

17. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I continue to enjoy this show. I think that what makes it good is having wife #1 (great character!) and wife #2 (so needy, but great comedy) as a part of the group.

If it were just him, wife #3, and the kidlets, I'd probably get bored fast. There is only so much you can do with that (that hasn't been done a zillion times already). Having the two first wives and having kids with each of them has turned out to be better than I wold have expected.

18. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I think you're right. I really liked how wife#1 talked to her son on the ride home - telling him what he did with the lego Falcon was a hint at what he could get into - engineer, architect etc. I didn't like her character at first, but the more she is around the more I like her.

19. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Another really fun episode this week, although predictable that they'd get locked in that storage room. I loved the 1st wife on Skype and overhearing how she was going to get lied to.

20. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    I like this series too.

I think the daughter is a bit too bitchy (maybe they are portraying teenage girls correctly and I just don't know that, lol).