1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Tomorrow People 10/9/2013 (S01E01) "Pilot"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dswallow, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Oct 9, 2013 #1 of 68
    dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    The CW knows how to do a superhero show.

Marvel should be ashamed.

The Tomorrow People was great. Kinda neat that we've got two actors out of the same extended family playing the lead roles on two different shows on the same network.

2. Oct 9, 2013 #2 of 68
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    To be fair, this is a completely different show than SHIELD. Which is, among other things, kind of the opposite of a superhero show (i.e., a show without superheroes set in a superhero world).

But you're right in that so far, TP does what it does far better than SHIELD does what it does.

3. Oct 9, 2013 #3 of 68
    mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Not even "extended" family -- Zooey Deschanel on "New Girl" and Emily Deschanel of "Bones".

(Tangent -- Richard Anderson playing Oscar Goldman on ABC (The Six Million Dollar Man) and NBC (The Bionic Woman) at the same time.)

4. Oct 9, 2013 #4 of 68
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Or in that vein, Richard Belzer playing John Munch on, well, virtually every cop show ever made. :D

5. kdmorse

kdmorse Active Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    I didn't even know this show existed until now. But I liked it.

It's really odd how standard and formulatic the setup was - and how well it worked. Sure, it's another coming-of-age superhero show, one of many. But if it's good and entertaining, who the hell cares...

6. Flop

Flop Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Oklahoma
    I liked it. A bit formulaic in setup, but the execution was good. Although not extravagant, the special effects were done well too.

7. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Altadena, CA
    A bit heavy on the Dawson Casting.

And they audio cut "wet dream?" Interesting.

--Carlos V.

8. kdmorse

kdmorse Active Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    So generically Dawsony were the first two male characters, that I initially thought they were the same person. And when they first met and we saw the subway/underground for the second time, I thought maybe the premise of the show was going to be one person, with their 'tomorrow' actions overlapping the current days actions.

Not only did they cut it, but they cut it so badly that they took out the background noise out with it. The brief moment of silence for the exact right amount of time practically screamed "WET".

9. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I had heard of the British series that this is based on but had never seen it.

I was originally going to give this a pass, afraid that this would be another CW teenage angst fest but it doesn't seem to have gone there yet.

Seeing that Greg Berlanti was involved and Mark Pellegrino was a regular changed my mind and I found the pilot interesting and want to see more.

I did smile a bit when Robbie Amell was wearing red and green hoodies.

10. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...

Well, it was on in the early 80s on Nickelodeon so it's not surprising that you missed it. I have to admit, as least in part, there were similarities between this pilot episode and the pilot episode of the original series--well as much as I remember it anyway. :) I think the computer had a different name. I also recall that they could teleport short distances by themselves, but for longer distance teleportation, they needed some computerized assist for navigation. I seem to remember that they would get easily lost after a certain teleport "length".

11. Peter000

Peter000 Active Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Pretty good. I'm in.

A bit too CWish for me, but since that's the network, I'll forgive it. :D

That mole beneath the guy's lip is distracting. In a bad way.

12. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I liked it enough that I'll keep watching. His decision at the end took it from "meh" to "okay, I'm in, for now," for me. I was glad to see Mark Pelligrino involved. Can Mark Sheppard be far behind?

It took me a few minutes to recall why I recognized his mom - Nina Myers, from 24.

I had an audio miss-sync that persisted through the episode, just on this one channel, that was just far enough off that it made it seem like everything was dubbed into English.

I was surprised at how bad some of the fight choreography was - on a large number of occasions it was very easy to see that the stage punches were nowhere near connecting. Normally shows are better at using camera angles that obfuscate more and make it appear that the hits are landing.

13. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Probably complicated by the fact that in a lot of the shots the actors aren't on the same set (i.e., when they're teleporting in and out, and often throwing punches at the same time)...

Hopefully they'll work out the challenges of combining extensive CGI with fight scenes.

14. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Had same audio problem here. I couldn't look at their faces when they were talking.

15. Peter000

Peter000 Active Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    fortunately audio was fine here. THAT would have driven me insane.

16. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    There was also a closed-caption miss-sync. The words often appeared a couple seconds after the audio, which is really, really disconcerting for us faithful CC viewers. Wonder if it's related?

17. sean67854

sean67854 Why?

Jul 11, 2001
    Wouldn't...
    I hope I don't start another which really came first argument, but did anyone else feel like it was a mashup of X-Men and the Matrix?

I group of mutants looking for "the one"?

18. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    The whole way though, I kept thinking "poor-man's X-Men."

19. kaszeta

kaszeta Fjohürs Lykkewe TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Plenty of vintage Tomorrow People stuff out there on the internet...

But if you enjoyed watching Tomorrow People in the 80s, don't go searching out the old footage, since you'll probably be appalled by the bad acting and 1970s production values. :)

20. nyc13

nyc13 New Member

May 31, 2013
    I enjoyed watching it on Nickelodeon as a a kid and still managed to enjoy rewatching it a year or so ago. But I knew it was cheesy when I first watched it.