1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Sixties on CNN

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, Jul 27, 2014.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Anyone watching? I had no idea the series was even on until I stumbled across it last night.

More info and ep list on the right side of http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/us/the-sixties. I'm not interested in all the subjects but am almost done w/The Space Race ep.

There are some older eps that I'm interested in and hope they'll be rerun.

I wasn't born yet during those times but have always been somewhat interested in that time period.

2. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I'm hoping this will eventually wind up on DVD, since I'm away from home and unable to record the broadcasts.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    They've been doing some reruns. Can you set your TiVos to record remotely?

Yeah, perhaps it will make it on DVD. It might even make it on Netflix streaming. The first two seasons of CNN's Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown are on Netflix streaming.

4. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I have a DirecTV Genie. But, the HD was almost full before I left home on July 4th. :)

5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    These are very well-done. It's fascinating for me, because although I was born in 1960, obviously I was very young even at the end plus I lived in suburban Minnesota, where "The 60s" were more theoretical than anything (almost a fashion statement).

It's interesting to see just how very much things changed in so many ways between 1960 and 1970...really two different worlds.

6. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Agreed and I was born the same year. Even though I was a little kid there are images of the 1960s that stand out for me. I was old enough to remember Civil Rights and the riots in Watts and other places. I was completely fascinated in the Space Race and it was a HUGE deal in school in those days. Viet Nam was all over TV and I remember a lot of what happened later in the decade. I'm usre they will cover Woodstock and hippies at some point. My uncle was a hippie and during Woodstock, we spent the summer up in the Catskills and I remember the traffic. I think they did a great job for this series with the right mix of people who were there as well as experts on the time. I only missed part of the 1st one, which was on the topic of TV. I'm sure they will repeat it at some point. If you have a hankering for history, you will enjoy it.

7. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    You should have been around for the change from the '50s to the '60s. Like going from black and white to living color.

:)

8. bruab

bruab Shmegistrd Schmoozer TCF Club

Nov 16, 2001
    DC Metro
    I watched a re-run of an old "Miami Vice" over the weekend. The 80's now look as dated at the 50's used to!

9. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, at the time it was so cutting edge...but now, it's clear how much it really owed to 70s cop shows, with a thin veneer on top.

Sometimes, pioneers don't age well!

10. brebeans

brebeans Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Great series! Pretty accurate, entertaining and fun to watch. I remember, first hand, all of those events and it's amazing to see how much they changed us and, how much things have changed since then.

Being into music, I especially liked the "British Invasion" episode. Very fun!

11. markz

markz Active Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I liked the first episode and have the rest saved on the Hopper. Haven't had time to watch them yet.

12. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    You might want to check the lengths of the JFK and Civil Rights episodes. Originally, they were listed as one hour, but both of them are two (the first hour of the Civil Rights episode ends pretty much right when Dr. King starts his "I have a dream" speech; the second hour of the JFK one deals pretty much entirely with the Warren Commission report).

13. markz

markz Active Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    Thanks. I also acquired these by "other means" so hopefully one set of them is the correct length.

14. bruab

bruab Shmegistrd Schmoozer TCF Club

Nov 16, 2001
    DC Metro
    I was referring to the music and the hairstyles, but that's a good point too! :D

15. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Has there ever been another decade with such a radical cultural change from its first year to its tenth? Just think of 1960 popular music and 1969's popular music.

16. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Maybe the '60s....1860s!

17. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    Connie Francis to Led Zeppelin. Yeah, I can see the change.

18. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    I was born in 1950 and remember the 60's very well. The Kennedy-Nixon debates are about the earliest news items I can remember. I watched the news during the Cuban missile crisis, the Kennedy assassination, the war/draft protests (I was 18 in 1968 and believe me, the draft was on my mind), civil rights marches, psychedelic drugs, British Invasion. I can go on and on.
    As for the space race, I stayed up all night watching TV coverage of the first lunar landing.

19. brianric

brianric Active Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    I'm the same age as you are, but I didn't have to worry until I graduated from college in 1971. Living in Massachusetts it was real easy to get a medical deferment in 1971. I got a deferment due to high pulse. In 1974 I volunteered to enlist in the United States Navy. Still had a high pulse problem, but I told the doctor I really wanted to enlist, so my medical deferment went away. Spent eight years in the nuclear Navy, best thing I ever did.

20. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I've watched a few episodes seems OK. The only thing I don't like is that it is on CNN, and during prime time. So i'll flip to the news to see what happened in the world and there is some black and white footage of JFK or something.