1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Shield or The Wire?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by gweempose, Sep 18, 2013.

1. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I've never seen a single episode of either series. I don't have time to watch them both right now. Which one should I choose?

2. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    The Wire is the only tv show I've ever seen that could actually be real life. It's the unquestioned #1 show of all time in my book. Everybody could be a real person and every event could actually happen. The Shield is an excellent tv show in its own right. It's a lot more action-y than The Wire. If you like a lot of stuff to happen in an episode then The Shield's for you. Things move at a slower pace in The Wire.

3. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Active Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Watch them both (in time) so it doesn't really matter. Personally I would rate them equally for my enjoyment factor.

The Shield is probably easier to get into.

4. Dawghows

Dawghows Active Member

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    Back when they initially aired, we tried both at the same time. As has been stated, The Shield has more action and is more immediately accessible. After about three episodes of each, we decided to stick with The Shield and dropped The Wire. A few weeks later, a friend who was also watching both urged us to give The Wire another try. Thank the TV Gods he did.

Upon starting over and sticking with it, The Wire became our favorite TV show of all time. Perhaps even my favorite show of any kind of all time. So rich, so real.

You can't go wrong with either show, but for me The Wire is pretty much the most perfect piece of work I've ever seen.

5. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    The Wire, by far. I liked The Shield a lot but it had a lot of ups and downs. Especially in the early seasons.

6. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    I've been watching The Wire on HBOGo the last few weeks. I made it to the last season, but I've liked it less and less as the seasons went on. Right now I've got 3 episodes left to the end and have pretty much no motivation to finish it. I don't know why this show gets all the love that it does. It's mostly unlikable people doing dumb things.

Never watched The Shield.

7. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Never watched The Wire, but I wholeheartedly endorse The Shield. And I disagree that the series "had a lot of ups and downs". It was consistently high quality, intense television that had me on the edge of my seat all the time...

8. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    How does one access HBOGo? The nice thing about The Shield is that it's available on Amazon Prime, so I can stream it through my Roku.

Edit: I just realized that HBOGo can be streamed through the Roku as well, but for some reason Comcast is not supported. That sucks! :(

9. tivoboyjr

tivoboyjr Unregistered User

Apr 28, 2003
    Those are two of my three favorite TV shows ever. You cant' go wrong with either one. I would suggest starting with The Shield. If you aren't drawn in to The Shield after watching the pilot, maybe it's not for you. The Wire may take a few episodes to grow on you. It wasn't that way with me, but it was with some other people I know.

10. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Out of curiosity, what's the third one?

11. goblue97

goblue97 Welcome Home, Jimmy!

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    I'll echo the other comments that The Wire was some of the best TV I have ever seen. I really enjoyed the Shield too but would rank The Wire ahead of it.

12. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    The Wire, probably a good 6-7 characters that are my all time favorites, BEFORE any other show! Just pure amazing character depth, you root for and against every single person

The Shield was very good too

13. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area

I've watched every ep of The Wire on dvd, but am only through S2 of The Shield. At this point, I would recommend The Wire.

In regards to the bolded, one of the eps in S2 of the The Shield was called "pre-pilot". Other than the name, it showed up on one of the discs like it was a regular ep. I talked to my buddy here at work and he said it was never aired. It was exactly what the title sounds like ... it was an ep that chronologically occurred prior to the actual pilot. It was kind of cool and I would recommend any Shield fans to try and catch it.

14. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    So many actors/actresses that are from The Wire that I see in other shows and immediately think of their character in The Wire. Idris Elba has become a pretty big star, but every time I see him ... Stringer!!!

15. jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    I liked both but never finished The Wire. I loved the first season. Watched the second and lost interest. IRC the got rid of several characters I really liked. I preferred The Shield personally.

16. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    The Wire is one of my all-time favorites.

The biggest compliment I can give The Wire might be that I DON'T wish I could see it again for the first time. I really liked it the first time through. The second time let me appreciate how masterful it really was.

17. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    This, I have watched it twice through, and enjoyed it as much if not more the 2nd time!

18. tivoboyjr

Apr 28, 2003
    Pretty sure it was called "co-pilot." I think it aired but could be wrong. Anyway, you're right that any Shield fans who haven't seen it would like it.

19. tivoboyjr

Apr 28, 2003
    Three's Company.

But seriously, it's Breaking Bad. There are lots of shows I love, but if I had to rank them in terms of the "best," those are my top three.

20. fmowry

fmowry Active Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    You have to invest in watching The Wire. There are places where you might need to listen to a conversation a few times or go to CC to understand what they are talking about.

The Shield you can just let em rip.

Both great shows. I rewatched The Wire last year. Might need to rewatch The Shield again.