1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The SD menus look horrible

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Dan203, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Sep 4, 2013 #1 of 58
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    So the first thing I notice when setting up my new Roamio is the SD menus look terrible. The TiVo guy is all pixelated and the text that overlays the new yellow selection bar is all jagged and alaised.

The speed is impressive so far. I've been forcing connections on every TiVo in the house to get everything synced up and it's even faster then my wife's Pioneer S2 running the old SDUI.

2. Sep 4, 2013 #2 of 58
    tenthplanet

tenthplanet Member

Mar 5, 2004
    There is something go on with scaling that doesn't seem right. Have you tried any SD video thru the machine yet.

3. Sep 4, 2013 #3 of 58
    Rkkeller

Rkkeller Active Member

May 13, 2004
    How do the main screens look like Guide, info, etc....

I think I have only seen a couple SD screen when in setup, but you rarely have to see them once everything is good.

4. Sep 4, 2013 #4 of 58
    oosik77

oosik77 TiVo Maniac

Nov 22, 1999
    Phoenix,...
    My SD menus look okay... for SD anyway.

5. Sep 4, 2013 #5 of 58
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    What I'm mainly noticing is that the text in the highlighted selection looks all jagged. It's like a poorly made DVD menu where they didn't have enough colors to properly anti-alias the text

6. Sep 4, 2013 #6 of 58
    tim1724

tim1724 Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    They certainly don't look any worse than the SD menus on my Series 3 did. At least now I only have to see them when looking at things like Settings menus, rather than all the time. :)

7. Sep 4, 2013 #7 of 58
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I posted this thread while I was still running through Guided Setup, which is still SD. It was the first thing I noticed when I used the Roamio for the first time. Now that I'm using the HD menus more I don't notice it as much.

8. Sep 4, 2013 #8 of 58
    jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    The SD menus look like garbage and frankly TiVo should be a bit embarrassed at this point that they haven't been fully retired.... ESPECIALLY as you must go into them to set things up.

9. Sep 4, 2013 #9 of 58
    tim1724

tim1724 Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    I was a bit surprised to see Guided Setup using the old UI. You'd think they'd want to make a good first impression.

I'd hope that one of the early software upgrades fixes that. (But knowing TiVo, probably not.)

What bugged me was the horrible graphics being used for the boot screens ("Almost there…") .. what is that, a GIF? The banding in the gradients and shadows is awful. Redo that in 24-bit color guys, and use PNG or something if you need to compress it.

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    LOL. I noticed that too.

11. DaveDFW

DaveDFW Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Richardson, TX
    Tivo really should spend a little more effort on these screens. We don't see them often, but we do see them for minutes at a time while waiting for the boot process to finish. I can see the banding and poor resolution from another room!

12. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    They should at least poke fun at it and use something reminiscent of blocky 8-bit graphics like the segment in the opening animation from the Atari era. :)

13. JohnnyO

JohnnyO Crimper

Nov 3, 2002
    Twin...
    As a TiVoHD owner (until last week) reading all the notes about only some of the UI being in HD really made my eyes glaze over. Now that I have a Roamio, I am surprised how jarring the change is. Using the consistent SD UI that was on the TiVoHD was not so bad. Now I swap from a nice HD UI, to SD UI quite regularly, and, for some reason, the SD UI on the Roamio looks even worse than the UI on the TiVoHD.

14. ALbino

ALbino Lurker Series 2

Jun 24, 2002
    When I bought an XL4 after years of not having a TiVo and using a DirecTV DVR I was absolutely SHOCKED that there's even a single menu that's not in HD. The fact that the Roamio still has some SD menus blows my mind. How hard is it to update menus from SD to HD? Seems like an incredibly easy fix from the outside looking in. I'm sure at this point they've torn down the whole navigation and rebuilt it a couple of times since HD existed. Heck, I had an HD TiVo back in like 2006? The fact that they're stuck with these tacky SD menus -- 7 years later! -- is insane, and makes you wonder what the in world is going on over there.

15. JSY

JSY Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Wow, after reading this thread - I have to concur - I can not believe that there is *any* SD menu/UI in the Roamio. As much as I would love to have the additional tuners, this is may very well prevent me from considering an upgrade at least until the SD menus are eradicated. I know that sounds silly, but I keep grumbling the last few years about how they keep coming out with new hardware when they haven't finished with the UI on the old hardware, and it sounds like this is more of the same. It always makes me feel like once they put something out to market, they don't give it much attention and start working on new hardware without 'fixing' the concerns of the existing/old hardware.

My TiVo HDXL has no HD menus and my TiVo Premiere XL still has some SD menus... There's no excuse for the Roamio to have any SD menu at all. I really can't think of any.

16. stoli412

stoli412 New Member

Nov 22, 2003
    Philadelphia PA
    I don't want to criticize, but I have to say I honestly don't understand the uproar about the remaining SD menus. It's literally JUST the settings screens now that Wishlists are in HD. How often are you guys going into the settings screens after initial setup? About the only time I have to go in there is if there is a change to the channel lineup.

I don't know what the holdup is on TiVo's end in finishing the HDUI, but I'd hate them to make that a priority over new hardware and features! I want things like the HTML 5 app store, out-of-home streaming/downloading, and the new My Shows layout MUCH more than HD settings screens.

Though I do agree that the welcome screens and initial setup should be in HD just for first impressions. :D

17. Smirks

Smirks .:. Hello .:.

Oct 7, 2002
    Was just about to post something similar. Having a few SD screens buried in the settings doesn't bother me much one bit at all. In fact, the settings SD menus aren't even that bad. The real atrocity is the Amazon VOD SD screens. Holy pixelation, Batman! That'll probably change if/when the Amazon app gets updated (and hopefully supports Instant!).

Then again I'm coming from a TivoHD, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. :)

18. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It's not really that they look bad, it's that after 3.5 years the HDUI is still not done. That's pretty pathetic. And it's not just settings. Find by Time and Find by Channel are still SD as well.

Also Guided Setup, the first thing a user sees when they boot up the TiVo for the first time is still SD. That doesn't give a new user the best impression.

19. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Active Member

May 13, 2004
    Check out the Podcast app. Looks worse than anything I have seen.

20. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    And it's not like they have to stop working on new features or new hardware to get this done. Hire a couple of guys who specifically do UI work and have them just do it. No matter how long it takes, just have them work on the UI until it's done.