1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Royal Pains summer 2012 thread (spoilers allowed through the current episode)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Anyone still watching this? This is still one of my favorite summer shows (and might be top 10 favorite of what is currently on TV, no matter what the season). But, I'm not sure I like the Hank/Evan fued. I agree with Divya, they need each other. Hank has no business sense, and Evan, is too overly driven to see the field before the trees. And of course his choice of Doctors are wrong.

Plus, they did a really curious misdirection with Jill. First she's leaving, then she's not, then she's leaving again? Has she completely been written out? She's kind of a strange character anyway. She's supposed to be a doctor, but whenever she's with Hank, it appears she knows NOTHING about diagnosis or medicine in general. And then she's going to Africa to treat patients there. Anyway, I'll miss her character. Nice eye candy, and I liked her chemistry with Hank.

2. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I have not watched this week's episode yet.

I enjoy the fluff of the show, but I tend to do other things while I watch now.

The whole "Jill is leaving" thing has been going on for three seasons - first she was only leaving for the winter, then last season and this season have been about her leaving permanently. I think Jill is the weakest character, I could do with a lot less of her.

I think it is interesting to see Hank floundering at the business side while Evan tackles trying to get his doctors to be more like Hank. I love the new doc, I know I've seen the actor before but can't place him. (Not the one from the hospital that Divya dated, the other one).

3. Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    Liked that Divya wasn't successful getting them back together that would be easy writing. Probably going to go the way of Hank pairing up with this college buddy/rival and finding that not only is the grass not greener than the other side of the fence but the green has alot of Benjamin faces on it. Hope they don't go the Hank/Evan's dad gets sick storyline. Speaking of..whatever happened to Boris?

4. JMikeD

JMikeD Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I was wondering that myself. Maybe they ran low on ideas for the character.

5. aaronw

aaronw Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Washington, DC
    I'm still watching, but I'm not into it as much as I was initially. I watch Necessary Roughness and Suits (and White Collar) before this one...

6. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Altadena, CA
    She's not a doctor, she was always a Hospital Administrator. Her new job is doing coordination and setup for general health care, and not treat patients.

--Carlos V.

7. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I really was expecting Jill to wind up as Hank's business manager, so this new globetrotting job was a bit disappointing.

I guess this will give the actress more time to make overtures to Kalinda on The Good Wife. :D

8. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Ive watched the past two weeks but losing interest and last nite deleted the show with out even watching it. I started losing interest last year.

9. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    It's dropping down my list of interests but it's still good enough to make the cut. It looks like Evan has hired a physician version of Big Bang Sheldon.

I'm another one who has been wondering what happened to Boris. It would have been nice to at least wrap up that story arc, the way they did with Jill.

Suits is now much higher than RP on my summer list.

10. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Altadena, CA
    Um, what haven't they wrapped up? The hereditary disease wasn't, he got a wife figure, had a kid, is now happy about it (and told Hank as much in his "dread to hope" speech), and an olive branch appeared to heal the intra-family schism.

--Carlos V.

11. fritolayguy

fritolayguy Science, bitches

Oct 31, 2002
    Liberty, MO.
    Also tired of the Jill leaving/not leaving storyline. My wife keeps pausing and talking to Jill every time she talks about it."Please leave already...".. get on with it already.

12. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    I'm still watching and considering I'm not recording much right now, I'm watching it pretty much right away.

I'm impartial to her being there or being gone. She didn't excite me and I didn't totally dislike her character either.

I will say that I'm looking forward to the moment that the feud ends. I think they both have their strengths and they need to trust that the other is going to do good. But, I think in this situation, Evan wants to be taken seriously and Hank really hasn't done that yet. I also think he underestimated exactly how much Evan did to "run" the business so Hank could "have fun" being a doctor.

Anyway, the only story line that is really getting on my nerves is Divia's family! That either needs to be put away and never covered again or they need to have a family reunion. Either way, I do wish they would wrap that one up.

13. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    I watch this show for 3 reasons:

1. Jill Flint is great eye candy.
    2. Hank drives a classic Saab just like mine, except mine is white.
    3. The scenery is beautiful.

The story has always been pretty weak. It plays in the background as filler and I perk up when Jill or the Saab are in front of the camera.

I was disappointed in season 1 when Jill ditched her 900 convertible for an ugly-a** Prius.

14. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I am still watching but enjoying less each episode. The Hank vs HankMed thing is annoying.

15. Odds Bodkins

Odds Bodkins Doug's Dad

Jun 7, 2006
    Jill leaving is a step in the right direction as she's been a worthless character since S1. The problem I have with the show now is that there's too many part-time characters.

16. Idearat

Idearat New Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    I agree with you on all three points. Jill hasn't made enough of an impression on me to really care.
    The feud I really want to be over, it's had some interesting points but they do need to get back to business as usual. Having their dad show up might be what gets it done.
    Divia's family thing hopefully has been leading up to something. I completely forget about it, then they have what looks like a small reminder pop up. Like Jill being around, if that whole thread was dropped completely I might not even notice.

17. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Interestingly enough, some of the pop up reminders of other story lines is what makes this unique. It seems more real life to have something pop up rather than deal with it for weeks on end. That's how life is sometimes.

Evan and his obsession over the business is getting annoying. Not even remembering that his fiancee was back and then going 3 days before finding out why is a bit much.

18. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Is anyone still watching? I'm a bit disappointed in the Boris plot line. All this secrecy for a doctor to come along so as not to mess up a business deal? Seems far fetched.

Still love the show :)

19. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Divya should have smothered her a-hole father with a pillow.

20. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Hank sure has no problem getting women.