1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"The Returned" on Sundance - Series 1 thread

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by lambertman, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Nov 1, 2013 #1 of 47
    lambertman

lambertman To see you, Nice

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Very intriguing 8-episode French drama from late 2012 that just started airing here on 10/31 on Sundance Channel. It's subtitled and there are oddly no reruns outside of Thursday, but I assume it'll be on-demand.

It involves a town's varied reactions to the sudden arrival of a number of people who had died years earlier. They're not zombies, they're their old selves - whatever that entails from person to person - and they have no clue what's happened. And there's all kinds of supernatural details and fringe creepiness going on too - more than you'd expect in one hour sans commercials.

For me to be this excited about a subtitled drama from France must mean I think it's quite good :)

EDIT to remove what Rob corrected.

(Assume spoilers after this post.)

2. Nov 1, 2013 #2 of 47
    WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I've heard great things about this show. I recorded it last night but haven't watched yet. Looking forward to it as I really enjoyed In the Flesh as well.

3. Nov 1, 2013 #3 of 47
    whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Same here. Recorded have not watched it yet.

4. Nov 1, 2013 #4 of 47
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Just the one kid died in the bus accident (well, one who returned).

Great, great show.

5. Nov 1, 2013 #5 of 47
    lambertman

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Okay, so we don't yet know the death details of the others, then? That actually is better.

6. Nov 1, 2013 #6 of 47
    CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    Sounds like an interesting show. Wish you'd started this thread yesterday. :)

I'll see if I can find it on-demand or wait until they repeat the series to get the first episode.

Thanks! :up:

7. Nov 1, 2013 #7 of 47
    lambertman

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Sorry :) I wasn't expecting to try it and like it.

I did find out that the premiere re-airs December 1 if it's not on-demand.

8. Nov 1, 2013 #8 of 47
    cherry ghost

cherry ghost Active Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Wow, that was really good!

So Camille died four years ago and this is the first time she's returned but others have returned before and are now returning again?

9. Nov 1, 2013 #9 of 47
    CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    Thanks. :up:

10. Malcontent

Malcontent Aka: Smiling Bob

Sep 4, 2004
    Ohio
    Just FYI,

The original French title for this series is 'Les Revenants'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revenant

'Revenant':

11. lambertman

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    I'm not going to be That Guy who has every other post in this thread, but ep 1 is now free on iTunes as well. :up:

12. jilter

jilter Happy to be here.

Oct 4, 2002
    Be that guy!
    Your posts are very helpful.
    I appreciate this thread as it is a show I otherwise would have never heard of.

Jill

13. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Is the show dubbed in English or is it in French with subtitles?

14. dbranco

dbranco Member

Nov 20, 2003
    THANK YOU!! I had a site link which had "Exclusive screening of Episode 1" -- but apparently it expired today. Am so psyched that I found this thread; will watch tonight!

15. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    DirecTV doesn't have Sundance in HD, so I'll have to skip this for now, though it sounds interesting.

16. dbranco

dbranco Member

Nov 20, 2003
    Watched Episode 1 last night and was hooked within the fist 15 minutes. I loved how the puzzle pieces came together one at a time -- beautifully paced -- and not only gave a sense of satisfaction, but also opened up more questions. And the music is terrific - just the right amount of spooky without being over the top. Will definitely SP this one!

17. CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    For those who might have missed it "Sundance" is showing a "The Returned" marathon on all eight episodes on Sunday December 22 starting at noon EST.

18. CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    Another marathon of "The Returned" first season showing on Sundance this Sunday March 9th.

Wiki says they are filming season two now.

'"Resurrection", a series on ABC based on the same book premieres the same night.

19. gossamer88

gossamer88 HDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    The Returned is also on Netflix.

20. squigy0

squigy0 Internet DJ & Dummy

Mar 20, 2003
    Owings...
    And THAT is exactly what has sucked me into this show; it's the most twisted and shrouded since Lost in my opinion. Here are several theories I came up with while watching (spoilerized just in case) that I'm not entirely sure have been disproven yet:

1. Camille & Lena switched places on the fateful day. It certainly adds a survivor's guilt and a "it should have been you that died" dimension that could explain the tension the two of them have had most of the season.

2. To cherry ghost's point, Adele was seeing Simon walking around 2 years prior. It was passed off as psychosis (especially with the suicide attempt), but what if he really was there? We certainly know that Viktor was out and about before then (i.e. the bus crash)

3. Speaking of the suicide attempt, everyone in the town is possibly already dead. Viktor's ability to conjure people to carry out executions seems to be predominately those who are already dead (Serge on most occasions, the man who shot him is implied dead I'm pretty sure) so he may have just showed Chloe that the suicide was actually successful. Julie is also VERY convinced that she died, and Lucy (whose injuries have all vanished) is now reading the deads' minds.

4. The looping effect (walking through the woods in a straight line brings you back to the beginning, driving over the dam only causes you to have to drive over the dam again, we may find out that the dam breaks every 35 years) is either another piece of proof that they're all dead, or there's something wrong with time & space at this location, which may have been hinted by how time generic and secluded this place appears to be; I've never seen so many people walking everywhere. The Lake Pub has a pretty sizeable parking lot with practically no cars in it. Even the police are often seen walking up the road to visit somebody.

I think there are clues littered throughout the title sequence of the show of what's going on. It seems to show key locations and plot points of the show (Toni's graveyard, The Helping Hand, the tunnel) but with some people and things possibly disjointed and out of place...so far :)

I read somewhere (possibly here), that Resurrection is not based on the book of the same name. And that 'Les Revenants' is based on the 2004 French movie "And They Came Back"