1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Premiere and multiple TiVo remote codes

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by mikeyts, Jun 23, 2012.

1. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    I just got a Premiere to replace my original Series3. Temporarily I have them both hooked up so that I can watch the copy protected recordings which I can't transfer (like a stack of the season's last episodes of Mad Men). I set the S3 for remote #2 and slide the switch on its remote to that position. Now the S3 will only respond to that remote, but the Premiere will respond to both. I thought that it was because it was set for remote 0, but I set it for remote 1 and it still responds to both.

Does anyone know what's up with that? If there's anything in the Premiere's user's guide about it, I'm missing it and I don't find anything in the searches I've tried on this forum.

2. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Read one or both of these TiVo answers carefully:
    Controlling two TiVo boxes with separate remotes
    Controlling two TiVo DVRs with one remote

And remember that if a TiVo receives a signal from a remote while in its System Information screen, it accepts that as its new remote code. So most of the programming procedure is to get the remote to send the proper codes. (Someone will correct me if I've garbled this.)

3. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    I read the first of those carefully and followed the instructions. The S3 is set to remote 2 and the Premiere to remote 1; the S3 will only respond to its original remote with the switch set to DVR 2 and the Premiere responds to both.

I'll just have to cover the Premiere's IR sensor when I'm using the S3. I've only got some 6 hours of untransferrable stuff on the S3; the situation won't last long.