1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (not so) silent majority - Happy with TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by The TiVo Dude, Dec 27, 2013.

1. The TiVo Dude

The TiVo Dude New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    As we all typically post when we have an issue - and say nothing when everything works, I thought it might be worthwhile to say "I'm happy with TiVo."

In fact, *very* happy.

I just replaced 3 cable cards (in Premieres) with Minis. That will save me $45/month in outlet and cable card fees. WIN!

Plus I can sell the lifetime Premiere boxes for less than the cost of the lifetime Minis. WIN!

PLUS, I now get a single "Now Playing" list and a single Season Pass and a single To Do list. WIN!

So, better TV experience, money in my pocket and lower monthly cable bills.

...and I haven't even touched streaming and portability.

Anybody else really glad they have TiVo?

2. Irishb

Irishb New Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Overall I really like my Roamio and Mini combo. I have not enjoyed a Tivo DVR this much since my old DirecTV Tivo. IMHO - Tivo has a hit with the Roamio. It does most everything right. I just wish that the Mini supported the ability to watch Amazon downloads from the Roamio. I know there is a work around, but native support would be nice.

3. uw69

uw69 Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Washington
    Best TiVo ever!

4. mburnno

mburnno New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    OK, so I am going to rain on your little parade a little here. I used to love Tivo until the Roamio's came out. It was better then the cable company's DVR and more cost savings. This all changed for me when the ugly Tivo Roamino laided an egg. At first, I was super excited that Tivo had finally came out with an integrated streamer and a faster processor to speed up the menus, then I quickly realized how much of a dud this new DVR was.

I started having transfer problems from room to room using the MRV feature then I had problems just transferring programs to another DVR (Not streaming). I still can't get either of the Tivo Streams to work or for that matter to even setup correctly. When you call Tivo support they yank you around like its all your fault. I have never gotten a straight answer from Tivo as to why my stuff doesn't work. I hate that I paid so much money for both of my units only to call support and be told it's your network and in reality some of the issues were on Tivo's side and they use a cop out story to get you off the phone. I have gone as far as reformatting my Tivo's just to prove to them the issue was on their side.

Tivo is the only device on my network that still refuses to work properly when everything else works fine. I will go even one step further and say that the old Premiers and the first generation Stream worked great on my network until the Roamio's came out then all hell broke loose.

Now some of you may have not experience any problems with your Tivo's so good for you and I hope it stays that way for you. If you ever do start to experience the same problems that some of us have experience then you will start to understand the frustration we have for so many months.

5. dahacker

dahacker Member

Jan 14, 2004
    I appreciate your input over the last 4+ months on this forum, but I really don't know why you waste your time. I went back and looked at some of your older posts. I'm a network engineer. I would say most likely that your network is FUBAR despite you insisting that your Premieres work fine. I would get a new high quality router and verify that all of your CAT-5 runs can in fact flow gigabit reliably using two laptops to validate. Networking is very complicated and you can't just assume that because all other devices work fine, that there isn't something fundamentally set wrong in your network hardware or software wise that conflicts with the Roamios.

If your two Roamios really are that bad, just sell them and get Tivo HDs. They go for $300 with lifetime on eBay. It really is that simple. No sense in being an abused spouse for 4+ months. At some point you have to walk away.

6. geekmedic

geekmedic TiVo Fanatic TCF Club

Apr 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Very happy customer here. I talk about my TiVo all the time with friends/family. Roamio Pro with 6 Minis. Routinely do out-of-home streaming and in-home streaming without problems. Love every minute with my TiVo.

7. jimmypowder

jimmypowder New Member

Oct 24, 2013
    I agree. Between the C133,V53 & V58 error messages,wifi connectivity issues,the Streaming OOH failures , i can't say for the amount of money paid for lifetime and the unit that I'm very impressed.

My Tivo premiere works pretty much flawlessly and has for years.

8. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I don't know if I'm happy with Roamio, it's still in the box until the hard drive comes today. :)

But I was happy with our Series 1's from 8/2000-11/2006 and I have been happy with our Series 3's from 11/2006-present. :)

I'm slightly unhappy about having to pay a new lifetime fee, though. ;) But we sure got our moneys worth out of the $199 x 2 paid in 2000 and then again in 2006 when the offered the special deal to transfer them to S3's for $199.

9. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    So do you enjoy walking through hospitals telling all the patients that most of the world isn't sick? :p (Just kidding.)

10. mburnno

mburnno New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    So as a network engineer you should know that I use a Cisco 1921 router ( you can't get much better quality then that) an Apple Airport extreme and D-link gigabit switch. All cables are gigabit connections (Cat 6) so I think your input is flawed a little. I have a Cisco CCNA and (use it everyday) so I think I know what I am doing here. What qualifies you as a network engineer but furthermore you should know that each network can be different.

I waste my time because I want people to realize that Tivo is not all pure bliss. I don't think it's fair that Tivo blames the end user as it being their fault when in fact some of the blame goes to them for having a somewhat inconsistent product that doesn't work half the time for some people.

Yep that rights, I have become an abuse spouse for 4+ months. That is what I do or it could be I want to hold Tivo accountable for their actions and let everybody know it. As I have said before, this is not Tivo's first DVR and I do realize they will have some duds but don't blame the user as if it is their fault. Now I realize that Tivo management is not going to come to this thread and change their company strategy but if I can let other users know who are having problems that it might not be them at all but actually Tivo.

Why is it that when a user has a problem the company will point the finger at the user and say it's your problem. When the shoe is on the other foot and it's the companies problem they don't want to admit to it and they look the other way. There is no excuse for Tivo not to have found a lot of these problems before shipping this product. What ever happen to beta testing first? I do realize that some bugs will get through but come on, why do I have to pay $1000 for two units to pay beta tester for them? If Tivo wants to buy my boxes from me then fine I will sell the Roamio's back to them but I don't see that happening anytime soon. I would actually welcome a call from someone at Tivo who can actually help me to solve my problem then just read a script back to me.

Anybody who has ever called Tivo knows the routine. When all else fails, oops it's your problem we can't help you.

So what, I am vocal about what I believe in, so are the countless other Tivo FAN BOYS. I just happen not to be one. If you don't want to hear me then don't listen. If you really did look at my past post then you would realize that not all of them are slamming the door on Tivo so you couldn't of looked that hard!

11. dahacker

dahacker Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Awesome. Sounds like it would be easy for you to ditch your network equipment and try something else. Your network obviously isn't working with Tivo Roamio in your current configuration. Why don't you give full MoCA a try or bring your expensive router down to something in the $100 range and let us know your findings? At least try and move forward and get a network configuration like the rest of us where everything works fine.

12. jimmypowder

jimmypowder New Member

Oct 24, 2013
    All the Tivo fanboys here just mimic the same line that Tivo gives you on the phone .

Repeat after me " it must be your network " bwak
    Like a parrot ! Bwak , it must be your network , bwak .

13. mburnno

mburnno New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Yep, I will hop right on that "DA Hacker". While I am at it, I will re-design the Tivo that actually works.:) We can re-brand the company and call it "it just works"

14. mburnno

mburnno New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    you should be prepared to get flamed by "dahacker" because he is a network engineer and your network must be wrong. Did I mention he was a network engineer? Yes, I know I am being an ass. :D:D:D:D

15. AAinCal

AAinCal New Member

Dec 21, 2013
    One week in and I'm thrilled with my Roamio. I had an initial hiccup with wifi connectivity, but at least this once it really was just my network (router needed replacing). Another few hours was spent trying to get all six streams working, which ended up just requiring a hard reset of everything including my tuning adapter. Since last weekend, not a single glitch. No restarts, no problems streaming to iPad or iPhone, no problems with Netflix or Youtube. The user experience is much better than it ever was with my Premiere and reminds me somewhat of my long retired HD, just with more functionality and a nicer interface. Dumb luck? Maybe. I have my fingers crossed that it will continue.

And while I'm fanboying a bit about TiVo/Roamio, let me take a moment to do the same in regard to the TWC CableCard team. Two calls, two competent representatives, instant service both times: almost makes me nostalgic for the TWC I've known and despised all these years.

16. spaldingclan

spaldingclan Member

Aug 22, 2012
    I'm a fanboy...and it's even more pronounced now that I have a Roamio.

17. skid71

skid71 Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Roamio Pro + 2 Mini's + Slide Pro
    With our cable provider and home network, this combination has performed exceptionally well.

We are new to TiVo. Their products continue to work as advertised for us. I don't know if that makes me a fanboy. Frankly, I couldn't care less if anyone thinks that.

We bought the Pro and Mini's based on what they could do when we purchased them. If we get more out of them, that's icing on the cake.

18. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    We've had our TiVo equipment (Roamio Plus and two Minis) for about three months and are very happy. I'm embarrassed to say we've had all six tuners recording something a few times.

I was eager to have more than the two tuners our Comcast STB offered. And from reading the Xfinity support forums I was nervous about trying their new X1 system.

Not being familiar with MoCA, I set everything up on our Ethernet network. Everything has been working fine, no complaints. Even out-of-home streaming.

Only glitch was the first day -- our two Minis would not finish the guided setup. A call to TiVo tech support got a vague "we'll push out software in the next 3 to 5 days" and "a reboot might help." Rebooted the Roamio, then the two Minis -- and the guided setup finished normally.

Monthly expenses are down a bit, and I now have HD in both the kitchen and bedroom, and we can watch live TV or recordings in the kitchen and bedroom -- features we did not have with the old Comcast equipment. We're happy.

19. dahacker

dahacker Member

Jan 14, 2004
    I really don't take anything on the Internet personally, and I'm sure if we met in real life we would have a beer and laugh over the last 13 years of Tivo ups and downs. Just trying to help. Sorry if you take it otherwise.

20. mburnno

mburnno New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Listen man, at the end of the day I take nothing personal. I do not know anybody personally in these forums and if Tivo closed the door tomorrow it really wouldn't bother me that much. I will say however that it does burn me when any company puts the customer last. Yes, I know that would be all companies in today's world but some are better hiding it then others. I guess I feel a little burned that Tivo support gives the same song and dance and it seems they are unwilling to truly help you instead of blaming you. Remember without customers these company's would not be in business.

Cheers !!!! :D:D:D:D:D