1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Newsroom S01E01

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Gunnyman, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    I'll admit it I'm a Sorkin Junkie and I've been looking forward to this show for a long time.
    I really loved it. When Daniels started his speech about America I was hooked.
    The only thing I wondered was, was Daniels' part meant for Bradley Whitford. I could totally see him in that role.

This show looks like it's setting up to be the West Wing meets Sports Night and I'm all in.

2. markz

markz Hilarity Ensues

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    Can't wait to watch it tonight.

3. dtivouser

dtivouser Tivoless TCF Club

Feb 10, 2004
    SoCal
    Epic. So glad to have Sorkin back on TV. Anyone know how many episodes to expect?

4. kaszeta

kaszeta Fjohürs Lykkewe TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Watched this last night. Has some potential. Interesting that it's set 2 years ago, so are they going to continue with that?

5. markz

markz Hilarity Ensues

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    IMDB has many characters listed for 10m episodes so far.

Here is a decent article that touches on why it is set 2 years ago.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maggie-furlong/the-newsroom-defense_b_1616355.html?utm_hp_ref=tv

Basically Sorkin did not want to make up fake news stories.

6. kaszeta

kaszeta Fjohürs Lykkewe TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
  7. dtivouser

Feb 10, 2004
    SoCal
    Anyone else have trouble getting Tivo to record it last night? I had a season pass but it didn't record it. I happened to flip through the channels during one of the (many) re-runs last night.

8. MegaHertz67

MegaHertz67 Registered Smart Ass

Apr 18, 2005
    Miami
    I enjoyed the show...I missed me some Sorkin dialogue. His speech that started it off was great...and the reaction of the conservative talking head, "You can't talk to me like that," was perfect.

Hindsight is 20/20 (not the show 20/20), and I'm sure the news team is going to act and react like we wish our news organizations would have acted at the time.

I wonder what Jay Leno's reaction was when the comparison to him was used disparagingly and with such frequency. I'm sure he just cried to himself as he drove around LA in some ungodly expensive and rare automobile in his jean outfit. :p

9. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I was on the fence with this. I'd never watched a Sorkin show before so I don't have a baseline to measure it against. However, two critics I like (Sepinwall and Mo Ryan) panned it so I killed the SP. I watch too much stuff anyway.

10. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    I enjoyed this. A lot. It was entertaining, fun to watch, great characters, interesting story line. I'll admit I was worried this might not be all it had been built up to be, due to the many disparaging reviews (including several reviewers I like). But I didn't share any of their concerns. All the talk of "preachy", "condescending"---I never felt it. I don't categorize shows (and showrunners) as red or blue unless they hit me over the head with it. I just want my TV to be entertaining. And this was.

[Aside: If anyone would be sensitive to this particular story line, it would be me. Living not only in Texas (think RED), but in Houston (think Oil Capital of the World), this story had the potential to be over the top, judgmental, and with the advent of hindsight, self-serving. But again, I just found it entertaining. Hey, it's TV, get over it.:)]

I'd give it a chance. I really enjoyed it. Snappy dialogue, fleshed out characters who can only get better and grow on you, and a story that moves faster than light. IOW, a Sorkin show.

11. Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    Eric Neal (the inspector they were interviewing on the phone) sounded exactly like Jesse Eisenberg. Was it him or was I just hearing things?

12. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    On Piers Morgan, Sorkin stated that he had Daniels in mind from the very beginning (for what that's worth - Daniels was sitting beside him)).

We really enjoyed it.

13. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Correct. Good ears!

14. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    That's pretty much my feeling. It was reasonably enjoyable, but didn't grab me like Sports Night or The West Wing did. But it has the potential to improve, so I hope it gets better and I'm more that willing to give it time.

15. dtivouser

Feb 10, 2004
    SoCal
    It seems like journalists are panning Newsroom in the same way that Republicans panned The West Wing. "It's too convenient. It's not realistic. It's motivated politically."

16. markz

markz Hilarity Ensues

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    My wife & I are watching now and we are both hooked already! My wife said it feels like The West Wing and Sports Night are hugging!

I have missed this style of TV!

17. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Whenever I see Jeff Daniels I can't get Harry from Dumb and Dumber out of my head. Hopefully I can overcome that for this show. I was able to stop seeing Bryan Cranston as the Dad on Malcolm in the Middle after a few episodes of Breaking Bad.

18. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier TCF Club

Apr 7, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Whenever a new Sorkin show comes out, there's always a period when it's no longer "cool" to like Sorkin for, well, being Sorkin. It's always mystified me. Give it a month.

That said, I really enjoyed it. Daniels looks like he can keep up the Sorkin pace well, and I enjoyed the setup for Alison Pill's character. I just hope they don't drag out the Will/Mackenzie thing. Tell us what happened and whether they're going to crap or get off the pot. If that drags on beyond the first season I'll be disappointed.

19. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    butthurt
    adj

1. An inappropriately strong negative emotional response from a perceived personal insult. Characterized by strong feelings of shame. Frequently associated with a cessation of communication and overt hostility towards the "aggressor."

20. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    True but I see conservative news organizations like HuffPo panning it as well.

Really not sure why I liked the pilot and looks to be a solid show.