1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Newsroom "Bullies" 7/29/12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by zordude, Jul 30, 2012.

1. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    Overall I liked this episode, but it didn't seem to fit the character we've seen thus far to have McAvoy relentlessly attacking the person he was interviewing like he did, especially given that he was really talking about someone else's policies.

2. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    The more episodes I watch, the more I question why they bothered claiming McAvoy is republican. I'm sure some of what we've seen mirrors what some republicans think, but we have yet to see much of anything that slams democrats for some of the same stupid crap they are slamming republicans for. On any one issue, I can see how they could frame it as a moderate republican thinking and acting in that manner. But the collective whole clearly demonstrates otherwise.

Anyway, this episode was just ok. Some moments were great, but it's really getting too heavily involved in the stupid romance plots. Ughh...

3. MegaHertz67

MegaHertz67 Registered Smart Ass

Apr 18, 2005
    Miami
    I'm a registered Republican and I understand and appreciate exactly where the character is coming from.

You have to remember that we don't know when McAvoy registered. I registered in 1985 in the middle of Ronald Regan's America. My beliefs and positions have evolved, but haven't really swung very much more to the left or the right. But America overall has moved so far to the right Ronald Regan would be considered a Democrat by today's standards.

McAvoy could be caught in the same circumstances where he didn't leave the party...the party left him.

4. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Sam Waterson must be having the time of his life playing this part.

5. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Altadena, CA
    Interesting that they took advantage of Munn's Japanese skills (she grew up in Japan), although why they would use a Business world reporter to cover Fukushima.

And even though I've only taken a couple semesters of Japanese a long time ago, I agree with the character's assertion that 4/yon/shi 7/nana/shichi "misheard" explanation was weak sauce considering the context and pronunciation differences.

I would have called out the "hey, that's not what he said" like she did, but not the "you told me off the record that...."

--Carlos V.

6. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Hey, Olivia Munn suddenly learned to act. Disregard what I said before.

You just know that Sorkin based that entire thread on Munn knowing Japanese.

7. mmilton80

mmilton80 Custom User Title

Jul 28, 2005
    Massachusetts
    I think they were initially just using her for the pre-interview because of her fluency in Japanese (and her friendship with the spokesperson) but then she got "the call" and did the 10 o'clock hour solo which is when her live interview occurred.

8. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Also, she was hosting that news show only because she was filling in for the regular host, who was unavailable (and she was the EP's fifth choice to fill in, no one else more qualified was available apparently).

9. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I also understand where the character is coming from based on some statements made in the earlier episodes that match what you are saying. However, all they ever show is him attacking republicans thus far. I would think a moderate would also be critical of many democrats who are on the far left, yet this is never shown.

10. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I watched the Meet the Press with Ed Gillespie "explaining" Romney's "retroactive retirement" from Bain and wished out loud that David Gregory was Will McAvoy.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And they didn't intend the language "misunderstanding" to be plausible, only to be an excuse for the Japanese guy to save face.

12. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I now have a crush on Olivia Munn. She's by far my favorite part of the show... and I liked the little mentoring relationship her character has developed with McAvoy. Even though it didn't really turn out so well.

Is the show still marching forward in time, or are they jumping around when the episodes take place? I haven't been tracking it very well.

13. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It took me a couple of episodes to realize that Olivia Munn's robotic performance was the character, not the actor (well, it might be the actor too, I'm not familiar with her apart from this; but it's perfect for the character). And now she's one of my favorite parts of the show.

Her conversation with Maggie about Don was pitch-perfect...the way she had no clue what Maggie was talking about but tried to pretend she did so she would fit in made me yearn for what Bones could have been with this level of writing. And it was all accomplished in just a few seconds.
    Still marching forward, although this one jumped back and forth within its own timeline.

Which for some reason reminds me of another nifty moment...when he pulled the ring out of the drawer, I thought "Oh, come on...you keep it there for years, including how many moves? You don't have anything more important to keep in your friggin' desk? I know I don't have enough room in my desk for the stuff I use every day!" And then, "Oh, I see now. :eek:" :D

14. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    That's funny.... my first reaction was "omg, that's so sweet, he's still kept the ring!", and then it was "oh snap!" :D

15. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The key is, although we had different reactions, they fooled us both. :D

16. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    True, but it is worthy of note that between the two of us, you were the cynical one. That doesn't happen every day. :D

17. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I'm also the single one (you're married, right?)... :D

18. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Not married. Although the GF moved in about a year ago, so it feels like it. :D

19. Flop

Flop Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Oklahoma
    Get out while you still can. Run! Now! Don't look back. Go go go!

20. robojerk

robojerk Active Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    What are you guys talking about with the ring? I miss something?