1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Newsroom - 08/26/12 - The Greater Fool

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by robojerk, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Aug 27, 2012 #1 of 116
    robojerk

robojerk Active Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    As a techie, the "internet troll' story seems weak to me. Hacker groups are a lot more resourceful than this show lets on. They would have sniffed out the Indian guy as a reporter. I guess it works for TV.
    Oh my god, why must this show focus so much on the relationships? It just saps the life of all the other plots. Sex & the City tours? Sloan is into Don, why make it more complicated? Mac is damned annoying. It's all crap. I'm glad this season is over, makes it easy to delete the SP and not wait and see if this crap gets better. These people act like little annoying high school kids.

2. Aug 27, 2012 #2 of 116
    SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I liked it

3. Aug 27, 2012 #3 of 116
    Flop

Flop Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Oklahoma
    I'm with Robo. I stuck it out, but SP is deleted and I won't be back next season. I know Sorkin is a liberal, but if they're trying to do a show about a news program taking politicians to task, at least make an effort to hit both parties. This week's "stories" seemed more like propaganda talking points issued by the DNC than it did about serious journalists covering stories. On the West Wing, a more one-sided bias was fine since it was about an administration which you would assume is a bit lopsided in it's political views. On a show about a newroom doing "real news", it feels like MSNBC.

Personally, I strongly favor voter ID laws. If the 92 year old lady from Tennessee could make it to the polls to vote, she could make it to whatever agency in TN issues state IDs.

The Tea Party stuff seemed like it was written by a rabid blogger from HuffPo.

Anyhow, I'm done with this show. If I want any more left wing propaganda, I can turn on MSNBC or CNN. When I want the right wing side, I'll turn on Fox. If this show had at least made an attempt to appear neutral and slam both parties for their hi-jinx, then I'd probably stick around, but the personal/relationship stuff isn't engaging and the "news" stuff is lacking and one-sided.

4. Aug 27, 2012 #4 of 116
    goblue97

goblue97 Welcome Home, Jimmy!

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    I was waiting for the "Paid for by Obama for President" tag at the end of the episode. It was really hard to see past the politics in this episode.

5. Aug 27, 2012 #5 of 116
    kcarl75

kcarl75 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Southern NH
    I really liked this episode. And this is now one of my favorite shows. I'm not sure why anyone is surprised at this point on the political leanings of the characters or the love triangles. It's been well established what this show is going to be about.

I like it for what it is, and think Sorkin's writing is some of the best on tv.

6. Aug 27, 2012 #6 of 116
    dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Maybe we need to use a third-world mechanism... a finger dip in a permanent dye to indicate you voted. The added advantage is the conversation surrounding having voted that would ensue when people saw your dyed finger.

7. Aug 27, 2012 #7 of 116
    scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I'm curious what your thoughts are on whether it's a problem that needs a solution. Do you believe the claim of only 86 cases related to voter fraud is incorrect, or do you think 86 cases is worth making thousands of people obtain an ID they otherwise wouldn't need?

Again, just curious.

8. Aug 27, 2012 #8 of 116
    DavidTigerFan

DavidTigerFan No, not Detroit. TCF Club

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC
    Polls are frequently in the neighborhood where you live. Just a few miles away. For me to get to the DMV I'd have to travel at least 15 miles. If I lived rural, I can't image in how far. And what if they charged for the state issued ID? You think that's fair too?

9. Aug 27, 2012 #9 of 116
    Flop

Flop Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Oklahoma
    I believe voter fraud is greater than the 86 cases, but I have nothing other than anecdotal evidence to support this. I'm curious on your thoughts about requiring an ID. Do you think a few minutes spent to get an ID is too much to ask of someone who wishes to vote?

10. Aug 27, 2012 #10 of 116
    robojerk

robojerk Active Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I liked the show for the politics and news stories, hated it for the relationship nonsense.
    I never understood why these people don't have ID? Where I live, unless you're paying cash you can't buy anything without an ID. I can't even buy popcorn in a movie theater with my credit card without showing ID. Can't even write a check to a retail store without ID. It might just be the culture here in southern California but I just find it weird that they don't have ID. However I do watch The Daily Show and seen clips with republicans saying passing these laws will help vote out Obama and I completely disagree with that, and honestly think they're being evil thinking like that.. But how hard is it to just get an ID?

11. Aug 27, 2012 #11 of 116
    Flop

Flop Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Oklahoma
    I know at least one of the states will issue them by mail. The states I have lived in issue IDs for free or will waive charges on a need basis. I do not think people should have to pay for an ID. I do think it's fair to ask people to make a modicum of effort to obtain one if they wish to vote.

12. Aug 27, 2012 #12 of 116
    scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I do, even if the actual number of fraud cases is higher. I also think in many many cases it would take more time and effort than "a few minutes".

What is my fraud case threshold to start calling it a real problem? I confess I don't have a number in mind, but would be magnitudes higher than 86.

I also don't have any problem at all believing that the real motive behind these bills is not voter fraud.

13. Aug 27, 2012 #13 of 116
    Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    The issue with Mrs Cooper is that she didn't have her marriage certificate to show that her married name was now Cooper (the name on her birth certificate was different) and they wouldn't accept all the documentation that she did have. It wasn't that she wasn't putting forth and effort to get an ID, it was all the government red tape she needed to go through.

14. Aug 27, 2012 #14 of 116
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    That's my main complaint. His writing has them acting like a 17 yr old in puppy love. Isn't there a point where people have meaningful relationships, with people they care about, and not someone they accidentally hooked up with? And shouldn't these characters be mature enough to be at that point?

I like the show though. The politics doesn't bother me, that's Sorkin. As long as it's entertaining, I can handle it. It would be nice to see him pick on the far left's foibles too. Ya' know, fair & balanced.:D

I can see how this show would piss off enough viewers that it may have ratings issues. Even for HBO.

But the guy can write some snappy dialog!:up:

15. Aug 27, 2012 #15 of 116
    busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Your position is philisophical, not pragmatic.

Also, it lacks a grounding in reality as the effort is typically far from being a mere modicum.

Furthermore, it completely ignores the fact that the imposition that you believe is fair, serves to solve a problem that simply doesn't exist.

And while your intentions may be well-meant (even if, again, purely philosophical), it is plainly obvious that the intent of the crafters of these laws is far more malevolent.

Instead of focusing on the abstract concept, look at the results: on the one hand, zero meaningful reduction in instances of actual voter fraud[*], and on the other hand, tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of eligible voters being denied their right to vote (the significant majority of which are conveniently in a demographic that tends to vote for one party far more often than the other).

That's an acceptable trade-off to you?

[*]and btw, even amongst the 86 or whatever instances, they were typically of a type that wouldn't even have been prevented by the laws being created. Stuff like fraudulent use of absentee ballots.

16. Aug 27, 2012 #16 of 116
    busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    When Will asked who the girl was sitting in the background all day, I started thinking that she was the death-threat person and Will was going to get shot on live TV or something. The rest of the episode had a lot of tension in it for me.

I watched way too much 24. :)

17. Aug 27, 2012 #17 of 116
    DavidTigerFan

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC
    Where does it say in the constitution that I have to have an ID to vote?

18. Aug 27, 2012 #18 of 116
    DavidTigerFan

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC
    Flop,

Also consider this. Disregard that Voting is a constitutionally guaranteed right.

Imagine that you are dirt poor. Like at federal poverty level. You have a family of four that you provide for using 2 minimum wage jobs. You routinely work 50+ hours a week. You get no vacation time.

Now say that going to the DMV (which is only open till 5pm in most states) without having to take unpaid time off, losing your job because you aren't working your set hours, or even assume that you do get the time off somehow. You don't own a car because you're too poor. How do you get there? bus service? No buses in rural areas.

SC tried to pull that and then said that a DMV employee would run a van to go get people. Then that got cancelled because the DMV didn't want to accept liability for disabled people.

19. Aug 27, 2012 #19 of 116
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I guess I do also
    - that final sequence with Will going to and driving in the car...?
    - I swear I thought it was going to end with him being shot.

20. Aug 27, 2012 #20 of 116
    robojerk

robojerk Active Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    :up:

I'm fine with the politics discussion as long as we're not attacking each other.

Like I said, in my area you have to have an ID for practically everything and I find it weird that in other parts of the nation people go for decades without any identification. I wouldn't mind being asked for ID when voting, at the moment I go to the polls I only need to say my name and address, but I could easily say my neighbors name and get 2 (or more) votes easily, especially if I knew that they didn't vote. It's wrong however so I don't do it. My wife's grandfather keeps an ID on him at all times (probably of the collected mindset of the area) and he hasn't driven a car in years. You need it to buy anything except when using cash or debit.

As for the evidence of politicians using the law to change the outcome of legitimate vote, that's despicable. Here's a Daily Show episode with republican governors admitting that this law would change the voting landscape to allow the defeat of Obama.
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/wed-august-8-2012-chris-rock
    They've admitted what the real reason is, voter fraud is just a smoke screen.