1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Mindy Project - Pilot - 09/26/2012

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Donbadabon, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    I liked it. It seemed quirky without being overly quirky.

During her toast to Tom it cracked me up when she asked "By the way, are we sure she's not a war criminal?"

Some of the lines made me laugh:

"My body mass index is not great. But I'm not like Precious or anything, you know?"

"When I was a kid, all I did was watch romantic comedies in our living room while I did my homework. In college, everything changed. I could watch romantic comedies whenever I wanted to."

"Met in an elevator? My hair came undone? Are you kidding me? I'm basically Sandra Bullock!"

2. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Didn't feel it at all. Timing very off.

3. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I really like her, but I didn't like it. I'm not sure I like her character.

4. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    So far that is my problem. No way that scatter brain made a medical degree. Absolutely no focus.

She is the annoying but unfunny girl who sits behind you at a ballgame and has a conversation that has nothing to do with where she is

5. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Well, I had to jump through hoops to watch it online, but so far, I like it. I laughed. I'll see where it goes from here.

I just have to find an open tuner to record it.

6. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I think that the two of you aren't able to get her previous character out of your mind.

Mindy was no where near as scatterbrained as Kelly.

I think she did a good job with the new character and I liked the show.

7. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    It's not that I found her scatterbrained - I'm just not sure I liked the person or not.

8. BradJW

BradJW Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Houston
    I didn't love it, but didn't hate it either. I will definitely tune in at least a few more times though. I think it has a good chance to grow on me.

9. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    That's pretty much me as well.

10. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Me three. Just didn't do a thing for me. It's not so much the "it's the pilot for a sitcom so give it a couple eps to get its groove down", as much as it was just not remotely close to anything I would enjoy. Nothing felt right about it.

BTW, I've never watched the Office, so I have no preconceptions as far as her character.

SP deleted.

11. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    She lacks focus. That is core to her character. No one who lacks focus is ever a doctor.

Kelly was not scatterbrained. She was Kelly centric. Didn't care about anything that didn't interest or benefit her.

12. DreadPirateRob

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    LOL at the idea that you have an idea of what is "core" to a character from the pilot of a sitcom.

13. DavidJL

DavidJL Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Dana Point, CA
    I really liked it and was surprised I did. I was expecting not to like it. I don't really care for her character on The Office, though she occasionally gets a laugh out of me. But this, I laughed a lot more on this than Partners or The New Normal. I haven't seen Ben and Kate yet. So far I'd put this as my 3rd favorite comedy right behind Modern Family and Big Bang Theory. It's only one episode, but for a pilot I thought it was great.

14. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Uh. Pilots are about setting up the story. The story here is a weak willed focusless woman who decides she wants to change her life. That is exactly the story.

15. DreadPirateRob

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Uh, pilots are about trying to get a TV series sold to a network. Writing staffs usually have to take some time to find the "voice" of the characters. Many of the great comedies on today are markedly different now than they were in their pilots. Take, for instance, Parks & Rec, which is probably the finest comedy on TV. Its pilot wasn't very good, because they hadn't quite figured out the characters. In fact, the lead, Leslie Knope, is a far different character now than what she was in the pilot. Same with plenty of other sitcom pilots.

So for you to proclaim like the Grand Poobah that you know exactly what the core of the Mindy character is makes me laugh. Because Mindy Kaling herself probably isn't sure exactly what the core of the character is, and even if she is, that core is malleable because her character is a work of fiction. If she and the rest of the writers decide that the character isn't quite right, they will change her.

16. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Parks and Rec is a very unique example.

The story here IS about who she is. That is what the series is about. Just like Star Trek was about people adventuring out in space. The series is about who she is. That is the premise.

If they change it, then it is not the show I watched. The core of the character is the core of the show.

But you have decided that it may change completely. If it does, it is not the show we all watched. She may not change at all. Why should we ASSUME that she is going to be completely different.

My friend bought a blue car. If he comes to pick me up, I am going to look for a blue car. He could paint it before he shows up and make it red. Why should I look for anything but a blue car. That is the same as what you are telling me. I don't like the show as it is constucted, sold, wrote about in the media and previewed but I should assume that the character is not at all what everyone talked about, what they showed.

What you are talking about is retooling a show. Right now, her core is that she lacks focus. Because they can change it doesn't mean it is not true now.

From your argument, I would say that you never know the core of ANY character because they can write them completely different in the next show.

A very weak position to take.

Oh, and the pilot you are talking about oftend oesn't make it on the air. They chose to air it to win viewers. Then they intend it to be exactly what it is.

17. Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    For lack of a better way of putting this, I was charmed either by the show (not likely) or by Mindy Kaling (new crush). I think it's obvious that we're going to see some sort of Jack & Sawyer who will she pick between the British guy and the jerk who deciphered When Harry Met Sally. But I was mesmerized by Mindy Kaling (I've never watched The Office). It does seem like her personality could get a bit obnoxious if they don't develop her more, but for now I'm in on this show.

18. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I liked it. I will watch another one.

19. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    Raking leaves
    Don't know quite what I was expecting but the vibe of the show was a little too "Sex in the City" for us. We were expecting sharper writing and it was just ok. I might check it out if the threads here think it gets better but judging from the pilot it's not for us.

20. ThePennyDropped

ThePennyDropped Now I get it.

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    I enjoyed it quite a bit, as did my husband, so we'll keep the season pass. So far, it's my favorite of the new sitcoms.