1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Mick - Series thread

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by markp99, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Jan 4, 2017 #1 of 63
    markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    I happened upon a commercial for "The Mick" while flipping thru the channels over the holiday break. Caught my juvenile attention, so I set One Pass. I watched S01E01 and S01E02 last night.

I am totally in - my next new favorite show ;). These 2 EPs had me cracking up over and over. The characters are perfect stereotypes and well played by ALL OF THEM. :up:

Here's an IMDB summary:
    I'll be waiting for next Tuesday! :)

2. Jan 4, 2017 #2 of 63
    Hoffer

Hoffer Captain Chaos

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I love "Always Sunny in Philadelphia" and Kaitlin Olson is great on that. So, I wanted to watch this show because of that. I watched the first episode and really liked it.

3. Jan 4, 2017 #3 of 63
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Ugh. Hateful people doing hateful things. Totally out.

4. Jan 4, 2017 #4 of 63
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    They could have just called it "Dee Goes to Connecticut". Kaitlin Olson illustrates just how narrow her acting range is with this show. It's basically just a solo rehash of "It's Sunny in Philadelphia" with the same lowbrow humor.

That being said, I'm in. :)

5. Jan 4, 2017 #5 of 63
    Hoffer

Hoffer Captain Chaos

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Yeah, I think the few things I've seen Kaitlin Olson in, she's played the exact same character. I do like that character though. :)

6. Jan 4, 2017 #6 of 63
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I read reviews for this, and almost all were pretty bad. So as I normally do, I ignored them, and watched. While I'm not sure it's sustainable, I laughed. And after all that's what a sitcom is supposed to do, make me laugh. So I'm in.

(BTW, I'm currently working my way through Always Sunny on Netflix, up to S3 and I'm enjoying it, but every episode is kind of the same thing. I get bored after a few episodes, don't watch for a week and then come back to it. I think this show might be similar).

7. Jan 4, 2017 #7 of 63
    midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    I'm a big Sunny fan so I was looking forward to this. I thought the pilot was awful. But that's not unusual. I really liked the second episode. But what I liked the most was the psycho granny. But I don't think she's a regular part of the cast. So right now I'm still on the fence.

8. Jan 4, 2017 #8 of 63
    ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    LOVED the pilot and have zero problem with it basically being a standalone Dee show. :)

9. Jan 4, 2017 #9 of 63
    hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    I caught the pilot, and thought it was hilarious. I've not seen the other show, so it's all new to me. :)

10. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I thought it was odd that last night during New Girl, there was a promo spot for The Mick that said, "Coming up next, the season premiere of The Mick" (or something to that effect). But if you didn't see the pilot episode on Sunday night, and thought this was the pilot, then I think you'd be a little confused. So why were they touting the 2nd episode as the "season premiere?"

I've never watched Sunny so I'm not familiar with Kaitlin Olson. There's something about her that's odd. It's like she's wearing way too much makeup, but then sometimes that appears to just be what her face looks like. I can't figure it out.

But I like the show so far. I'm a little confused about the IMDb summary in the OP calling Chip a future Republican. Did the character say/do something to that effect, or are they simply stereotyping spoiled rich brats as Republicans in training?

11. fmowry

fmowry Active Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I love Sunny but had to turn this off 3/4 of the way through the pilot. Deleted it and the first episode. Dee doesn't work alone. Or not with these writers. Horrible.

12. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    You are referring to the Fox that, back in 2012, aired the "season premiere" of New Girl one hour after airing a new episode...and let's not get into the "creative accounting" when it comes to determining milestone episode numbers of The Simpsons.

13. Ereth

Ereth Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    I never saw Sunny and had no idea who Kaitlin Olson was (In fact for a short time I wondered if that was the adult name of one of the Olson twins). Nonetheless, I really really liked this show. It's no "The Good Place", but it's pretty high on my "new shows to like" list.

14. Hoffer

Hoffer Captain Chaos

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I caught the last minute of New Girl before watching the Grandparent episode. Is Megan Fox a full time part of New Girl? It appeared she was moving into a house with the one guy.

15. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Not a regular cast member, but she has appeared in numerous episodes over the last couple of seasons for her story arc with Nick.

16. RickStrobel

RickStrobel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2000
    Watched the first episode and liked it. By the way, what is a "Mick"? Aunt? Never heard it before.

17. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I liked it. I'll stick with it for now.

18. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I missed that reference. All I could think about throughout the episode was "beloved c*nt" from Curb Your Enthusiasm. lol

19. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Her real name is Mackenzie (sp?).

I sorta liked the pilot, enough to give it a second chance. E2 was too much for me. I find it hard to watch these exaggerated stereotyped kids, especially the middle boy (budding Repub). They're not funny, just offensive. The grandma was too over the top.

SP killed.

20. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    That's my favorite genre.

Really liked the Pilot.

Wonder if we'll see the boyfriend again?