1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Mentalist S6E1

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dwit, Sep 30, 2013.

1. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Anyone following this?

Do you think/know Lisbon is killed?

2. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    I doubt it. Lead character in a CBS procedural.

I thought it was stupid that she went in alone. She called for backup. She's an LEO, calls for backup, and NONE shows up. Helloooo, can we say setup. And still she walks in.

Other than that, usual Mentalist where Jane solves everything with just a glance. Yet I keep watching.:rolleyes:

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Nah, he just knocked her out and painted her up.

4. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I thought I saw a bloody knife, or hook , or something. Guess not.

Been my favorite show ever since it's been on. By far.

5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    There was, but I think that's just what he carved the other guy up with (and got the blood for her face).

6. MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    I am feeling suspicious.

Anyone get a And Then There Were None vibe? This is all conjecture here. I am pullin' it outta my butt...

Because this is not the usual Red John pattern,
    with the blood smeared smiley face being applied to Lisbon's face,
    I think Lisbon is being used... She apparently saw a fatally wounded Brett Partridge die, before she herself was grabbed.

When Lisbon is rescued (because, after all, how can she not be?) her account lets us know that Partridge is dead. And eventually remains will be found that seem to belong to him.

Yet, I suspect this is all misdirect. And for those of you who know And Then There Were None, you know what I mean.

7. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'm going to really enjoy this season if they keep killing off the Red John suspects every few weeks to think the herd.

FWIW I never get tired of the all-seeing all-knowing Patrick Jane schtick, sure it's a trope now, but it always makes me smile.

8. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Yeah, I figured this.

I don't think I like the idea that Red John is one of these people that he's known, that someone that prominent could be a career serial killer. Seems way too gimmicky.

9. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    That would not work, since RJ does not hide the bodies of his victims. If Partridge's body is missing when Lisbon is found, Jane and Lisbon will not assume that Partridge is dead.

10. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    What's wrong with that? Jane is smart and observant. At the first crime scene, I imagine he started off playing the percentages -- the husband was probably the killer. He took a good look at the guy, then started looking around to see if there was any evidence. Those drawers were rather obvious, but not enough to hold up in court. So he started doing his usual manipulation on the husband to get him to slip up or confess.

The skeleton in the desert was not as simple, but Jane's approach still seemed straightforward (for him). The flowers in the skeleton were certainly odd, and I imagine Jane would have investigated the cause of the flowers more directly except that he saw the diner sign (which caught his attention because it seemed a little too nice) and decided to use his common technique when in small towns, go to the diner and talk to people. That waitress immediately made some suspicious comments, and I guess Jane was able to tell that she was acting guilty as well. So then he stuck around the diner to talk to (and manipulate) more people until he solved it.

Both typical Jane, and both plausible given Jane's abilities. I admit he did get a little lucky with the diner, but as they say, chance favors the prepared mind -- and Jane is always prepared by his careful observations and playing the percentages.

11. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I wouldn't call the Sheriff or Brett Partridge prominent.

Heck, I had to google the sheriff to remember him.

12. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    I would. They are in law enforcement in areas where Jane has had plenty of opportunity to interact with. Right in front of his face.

13. bacevedo

bacevedo Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Chandler, AZ
    I wouldn't be surprised to find out that none of the 7 names are the real Red John and Jane knows that. He is playing everyone because he is on to the real Red John. He knew that if he told Lisbon, she would tell her team, and it will help him somehow get the real Red John to slip up. Have the writers confirmed that the real Red John is one of the 7?

The hard part with trying to figure it all out is that the writers can do anything they want and hide anything they want. You don't know which leads are real, which are red herrings, and then out of nowhere something happens that no one could suspect because the writers just dreamed it up.

I thought the writing in this episode was weak and too obvious. From the get go you knew that Lisbon would tell someone on the team and then the rest of the team would know. As soon as they tracked the phones, you knew that would be used against them as Jane said. There wasn't any surprise in it. Which is what leads me to believe that Jane did it all on purpose.

14. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    My understanding is yes.

15. stellie93

stellie93 Active Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Jane always knows everything, so he had to know Lisbon wouldn't keep quiet. It was funny how he could just look at their faces and know that they knew. Even Chou who hardly has a readable face.

So why did he let Lisbon go off by herself? He should have stayed glued to her as soon as he told her, whatever it took. Why isn't he panicking? :confused:

16. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Franklin, TN
  17. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    IIRC, we don't know whether he read Cho or not. It seemed to me that when Cho came over he or Rigsby volunteered that Cho had been told. I remember waiting to see if Patrick could read him or not, and not getting an answer.

18. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Cho avoided looking directly at Jane which tipped off Jane.

19. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Thing is, on the few occasions that we've heard RJ's voice unaltered, he sounds just like Partridge. If nothing else, he certainly sounds more like Partridge than he sounds like any of the other 6 suspects.

It seems to me that if it's not Partridge, it's a huge cheat.

20. Fahtrim

Fahtrim New Member

Apr 12, 2004
    Missouri
    I believe you remember incorrectly.