1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The LOST Experience to begin in May

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Chibbie, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Chibbie

Chibbie New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Lexington, KY
    Lost' fans can get lost in a game

By Lia Miller
    http://news.com.com/Lost+fans+can+get+lost+in+a+game/2100-1026_3-6064123.html
    Story last modified Mon Apr 24 08:10:51 PDT 2006

ABC's hit show "Lost" will end its second season on May 24 with a two-hour season finale. But plans to keep ardent fans happy during the summer reruns are under way.

"The Lost Experience," an interactive, multiplatform game, will begin in early May and echo the story of the TV show, which follows a group of people whose airplane crashes on an enchanted island full of supernatural mysteries and threats.

The game, of a genre called alternate-reality games, is a multimedia treasure hunt that makes use of e-mail messages, phone calls, commercials, billboards and fake Web sites that are made to seem real. The first successful such game was used to promote the Steven Spielberg film "A.I."

What's different about "The Lost Experience," which will feature new characters, is that it is being devised by the show's writers, not by marketers, according to Michael Benson, a senior vice president at ABC. He said broadcasters from around the world would release clues in a variety of formats and that players would have to join forces online to solve them. Mr. Benson also said that any new information or clues revealed in the Lost Experience would be applicable to the TV show's story as well.

"You have to give the audience something to connect to. I want to prove to the audience that this is something they will enjoy, that is organic to the show," he said. "I don't want the audience to feel like 'they are just selling to me or marketing to me.' "

Carlton Cuse, a writer and executive producer of "Lost," who is also one of the creators of "The Lost Experience," said that the idea was conceived at a lunch that included Mr. Benson and Damon Lindelof, one of the show's creators. "We wanted to tell stories in a nontraditional way, and there were certain stories that Damon and I were interested in telling that don't exactly fit into the television show."

He is also enthusiastic that the game will give fans the opportunity to engage more fully in the story. "We purposely design the show with a big amount of ambiguity so people can theorize about what a certain scene means. This allows the fans to participate in the process of discovery."

The game will start on May 3. "Watch the May 3rd episode very carefully," Mr. Cuse said. "You can TiVo it, but don't skip the commercials."

2. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Awesome! This show lends itself to this type of game perfectly.

3. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    Okay - this sounds great! I'll weigh in with an early prediction, based upon the above, that on May 3rd we'll be seeing a 'commercial' for a Widmore Labs product. The show has been dropping Widmore easter eggs like crazy of late - it would make sense if it is leading up to something like this.

Widmore pregnancy tests...
    Widmore Construction...
    Widmore on the hot air balloon basket...

I wonder what Widmore product the commercial will be for, and where the search will take us? Can't wait to find out.

Incidentally, it looks like there's a http://www.widmore.com currently up and running, apparently registered to ABC, with just a placeholder login screen at present.

4. cwoody222

cwoody222 Active Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    "Sociometeorological Solutions for Biomagnetic Climates"

:D

:up: :up: :up:

5. martinp13

martinp13 YHTBMABIITY

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    If it's anything like Push, Nevada's game, it will be lame. The "join forces" thing is so overblown, like you would have to brave heights and the elements to ask the wise man on the mountain a question. Nah, he's a got a cell phone AND coverage, so just call him and he'll reply with wireless email. With the internet, one person figures out one thing and everyone in the world knows it in 15 minutes. :(

6. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    At least they're realizing that people will join forces and therefore they are planning for it and expecting people to do it. The A.I. game, as mentioned in the article, apparently didn't anticipate the level of cooperation among strangers on the net and the puzzles got solved much quicker than I'm sure they were anticipating. It was a fascinating game and if the LOST folks can do anything even remotely as interesting, they'll have a huge following.

I'm also very intrigued by the quote that there are lots of stories they want to tell that just don't fit into the context of the show. I wonder if the online game will be told more from the perspective of the people in the "real" world who think that everyone on the plane is dead. It would be cool to see the game focus on a few people back in the world who get cryptic clues that start to make them suspect that perhaps there are survivors of the plane crash and then the ensuing research/investigation that they do.

7. cwoody222

cwoody222 Active Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    That would make a pretty big assumption that there ARE still people in the "real" world and/or that the survivor really are suvivors :D

8. FlugPoP

FlugPoP Illegitimate User

Jan 7, 2004
    Fontana...
    Thats great I'm on the third episode of season one, then I will want to catch up with all the re-runs

9. MickeS

MickeS New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    AZ
    But what do you win?

10. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    This is similar, it sounds, to the TV show "Regenesis" web interactive game. They e-mail and text message clues and give clues during the episodes. Of course, I don't play it because the show isn't available except to aquire illegally on the web. ;)

11. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    An all expenses paid trip to a tropical island? baaawwaaahhhahahaha!

12. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    One way, no less.

13. Jericho Dog

Jericho Dog Excrementalist

Feb 10, 2006
    The Great...
    ... and when you click the button you get the flight number in the code, CERB815.

14. tanstaafl

tanstaafl Spawn of Cthulhu

Oct 22, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Peter000 mentioned the ReGenesis game and Devdogaz the AI game. For anyone who may be interested in these things there are a couple of sites devoted to Alternate Reality games now; start with the Alternate Reality Game Network.

15. TeeSee

TeeSee Tiiin ROOF. Rusted!

Jan 16, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    As long as no one complains about there being too many reruns...

16. Tiki

Tiki New Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Sounds like fun, actually. lol. I'll join in on this. It'll help keep the Lost withdrawl down under control.