1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Leftovers S1E6 "Guest" 8/03/14

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Ment, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Aug 6, 2014 #1 of 63
    Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    Question No. 121: “In your opinion, do you believe the departed is in a better place?”

Were peeps too depressed to make an episode thread?

I rather liked that this focused on Nora's journey from her ritual shopping to meeting Holy Wayne. He's like the Dr. Phil of Leftovers "If pain starts to slip away, you seek it out, don’t you?” which explains why she sought out getting shot by the call girl.

2. Aug 6, 2014 #2 of 63
    jon777

jon777 Active Member

May 30, 2002
    Jupiter, FL
    I wasn't sure if the shooting was a flash forward or in sequence. I felt it was a flash forward, because of the Wayne encounter -- now she doesn't feel the pain in her chest / heart, she wants it back?

Interesting that Wayne apparently is going to die soon. He seems to be "real" at least to the people he is healing as he had an affect on Nora as well as Buddy Garrity.

Pure speculation ---
    I think we are well on our way to a Kevin / Nora hookup -- only question is will he sleep with Aimee (daughter's friend) before or after he sleeps with Nora. My prediction is he and Nora will go on a normal date, seem to have the start of something meaningful in this mess, and then Aimee will end up seducing and sleeping with him, and cause a big ole mess...

3. Aug 6, 2014 #3 of 63
    Jim_TV

Jim_TV Member

Mar 4, 2006
    Every time Wayne offers to make people feel better I think of William Shatner as Captain Kirk in Star Trek V telling Spock's half-brother Sybok that he doesn't want to have his pain taken away and that he needs his pain because it makes him who he is.

4. Aug 6, 2014 #4 of 63
    Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    I don't think its a flash forward only because we see her replace the paper towel roll after she is 'healed' and then the chief shows up at her door and the reason she seeks the pain is that it is the touchstone to her loved ones and she feared going on with her life and literally leaving them behind, forgetting them.

5. Aug 6, 2014 #5 of 63
    jon777

jon777 Active Member

May 30, 2002
    Jupiter, FL

Reading a couple of recaps, and thinking back, I believe you are write. It was in sequence. As involved the scene where she was replacing the family's cereal, eggs, milk, before Angel arrived. I guess part of her ongoing grief/coping.

Now that she has been "Wayned" she moved on and got her own food for the fridge/pantry. Not her families to be thrown out in a week or two.

6. Aug 6, 2014 #6 of 63
    stellie93

stellie93 Active Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Weird that anyone would answer no to question 12. What reason do they have to think they are in a worse place? Don't people in general, whether they're religious or not think you go to a better place when you die? And wouldn't you be optimistic, since you have no evidence to the contrary?

7. Aug 6, 2014 #7 of 63
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, no. Some people (myself included) think you go nowhere when you die. You just cease to exist.

Which, to my mind, is not a better place than even this ^#%@ed up world! ;)

8. Aug 6, 2014 #8 of 63
    Jim_TV

Jim_TV Member

Mar 4, 2006
    Absolutely not. The very idea that a person is somehow a separate thing from their physical body is a preposterous notion long overdue for extinction. You just go wherever your loved ones or the state disposes of your corpse- usually a cemetery or crematorium.

9. Aug 6, 2014 #9 of 63
    getbak

getbak Active Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    The problem with the whole thing is that the people didn't all suddenly drop dead, they disappeared in an instant with no indication of where they went or what happened.

Since no one knows what happened, everyone has their own ideas and theories. If you believe it was a Rapture type event, then you might think they're in a better place; but if you believe they were abducted by aliens and are being held captive in some gigantic space zoo, you probably don't think they're in a better place.

10. hairyblue

hairyblue A good Man

Feb 25, 2002
    Denver, CO
    If 10% of the population disappeared or vanished in the middle of doing things, I'd have to believe in some kind of god or omnipotent being of some kind. Didn't people just vanish from driving cars and such. That would be very hard to explain with out the supernatural or alien angle. LOL I'd probably believe in highly superior aliens playing with us over a god. That would make more sense to me.

So a better place? If it happen to a relative of mine,I'd answer "I don't know."

I liked the episode. Wayne seems to have supernatural powers. I wonder what his deal is? Where did he come from? Is he human? He's doing this for money? Why?

Did she get rid of her gun? I'm glad she is able to let go of any guilt, and go on with her life.

11. Test

Test Active Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Yes it is weird, especially if the previous question was are you a religious person. I think that was the previous question...

This is the wrong way of thinking, you're not thinking in the realm of the show. People literally DISAPPEARED, there is obviously some higher power at play here. This event should change the way people think.

12. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    OK, maybe aliens abducted 2% of the population and are keeping them in Concentration Camps.

Again, there's no reason whatsoever to believe they're in a "better place," or a "worse place" for that matter.

13. Test

Test Active Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Right and that's the thing, these people didn't just "cease to exist" they are somewhere..BUT I see you were directly responding to Stellies question: Don't people in general, whether they're religious or not think you go to a better place when you die?. So yes ceasing to exist is a worse place to be.

These people aren't dead, they're just gone. Which brings me back to my original point. If the previous question was "Are you a religious person?" the answer to the next question "Are they in a better place?" would have to be yes with everything they know. I'll have to go pause on the shot of the questionnaire, but I'm pretty sure that is what I read.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    How do you know that? Did I miss something?
    This makes no sense...

15. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    The previous question was "do you believe that the Departed was a religious person." Not "you".

I believe that every question is about the Departed, not the answerer.

16. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    p.s.: Every time she says "the Departed", I keep thinking about the Nicholson/Damon/DiCaprio movie. :D

17. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And he also seems to be assuming A) That the person answers "yes"; B) That "religious" means "Christian"; C) That "Christian" means "American Fundamentalist"; and D) That the person is able to reconcile what happened with Fundamentalist American rapture theology.

18. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This show is still "meh" to me. It's moving at a snails pace and it just doesn't seem to be heading anywhere, just a weekly character study. I'm not looking for an answer to "what happened to the departed" just for the story to go somewhere. I'll give it the rest of the season probably, but at this point not sure I'll be back for a second if there is one. Anyone have any ideas of the ratings?

19. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Well, yeah... just as god intended.

20. Test

Test Active Member

Dec 8, 2004
    How does it not make sense? I'm working under the impression that this was the rapture. Is this not right?