1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Last Ship "SOS" (8/3/14)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by SeanC, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Aug 4, 2014 #1 of 53
    SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    Wow, guess this show is really falling off if I'm starting this now.

So I'm assuming I missed something, but after they killed the guys on one of the other small craft why couldn't they use that boat? Did they talk about it sinking as well?

2. Aug 4, 2014 #2 of 53
    squint

squint New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    I wondered the same thing but I think after the last bad guy died the boat didn't stop but just kept going. I don't know if it had an outboard motor but you would think those things would have a dead man's switch.

3. Aug 4, 2014 #3 of 53
    SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    I seem to remember seeing the back of those russian craft and that they had dual outboard, what is the significance of outboard over inboard?

4. Aug 4, 2014 #4 of 53
    RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Well, in this instance, an inboard would increase the possibility that the boat had more sophisticated controls, like a dead man's switch. Although, it doesn't necessarily make it more likely.

I was noticing that the Rooskies on that chopper seemed to be wearing helmets very similar to what American crews would wear. Did they steal a US helicopter, or was the production trying to save money by reusing costumes as necessary?

5. Aug 4, 2014 #5 of 53
    SoBelle0

SoBelle0 Go Big Blue!! TCF Club

Jun 25, 2002
    Decatur, GA
    Mine cut off - was this the season finale?

Did anything interesting happen after the helicopter found them? Last I saw they were waving their hands around to get the helicopter's attention.

Oh - seems I was working too long and didn't refresh the page before posting. So, was that a Russian helicopter? and our helicopter was shining a light on the raft? I kind of wondered if it might be... but, then figured that was too easy - so there must be some other twist. :)

6. Aug 4, 2014 #6 of 53
    MrGreg

MrGreg New Member

May 2, 2003
    Hmm, I'm guessing a Russian helo would sound different to a navy helo, and the captain would be able to tell the difference. But maybe after being in the water that long, he wouldn't notice (or would still be willing to be rescued by them).

7. Aug 4, 2014 #7 of 53
    RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    No, it was the old "Silence of the Lambs" fakeout.

Just in case:
    Where you see an FBI agent ringing the buzzer at a house, and we see Clarice trapped in the basement. But as it turns out, they are two different houses. American helicopter crew rescued two other people.

8. Aug 4, 2014 #8 of 53
    DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    That will teach them to take the helicopter out! If timeliness was an issue, they should have just sent the helicopter out in the first place with a small crew to extract the woman from the fishing boat.

Then they just take some woman off of a boat full of dead people and let her onto the ship with no quarantine procedures whatsoever.

9. Aug 4, 2014 #9 of 53
    SoBelle0

SoBelle0 Go Big Blue!! TCF Club

Jun 25, 2002
    Decatur, GA
    Nice! Thanks for the explanation.

10. squint

squint New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    I suppose they ran their rapidtest for the virus off camera but in previous episodes they questioned its effectiveness.

I also don't get why they left their beacons behind. Couldn't they just have left them off unless they needed rescue?

11. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Well that is assuming they were smart enough to not send the captain of the ship on a recovery mission.

12. Shakhari

Shakhari Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Serves Chandler right for going on the mission in the first place. Someone needs to slap him upside the head and remind him he's not Captain Kirk.

13. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    No problem. :)

14. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    No, he is Captain Kirk. That's why he keeps going on away missions. They just don't have a big enough crew to allow for red shirts.

:D

15. Shakhari

Shakhari Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2005
    I believe they prefer to be called "marines" :)

16. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I thought after the second guy was killed, the third cut and run...

17. squint

squint New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Alright, I re-watched two parts of the episode just to make sure my memory wasn't crazy.

It's not clear what they saw in the water but it did look like two dead bodies. They never showed the American helicopter pulling anybody or anything out of the water though.

In that scene, there were only two men remaining on the Russian Zodiac. One at a console amidships and one manning the bow gun. When Tex opened up on them with their bow gun, the two Russians are hit. The one at the controls was the last to be hit and he slumped over the console after which the boat veered off course.

18. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    There were three to begin with; one was killed earlier. My impression (without re-watching) is that when the second guy was killed, the third ducked down over the controls and steered the boat away.

But it could have been your way too.

19. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Okay, but salient point is America chopper was not hovering over Kirk and Tex, but at some other location.

I'm handicapped by not having access to my DVR.

20. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    You are correct. :)