1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Last Ship S01E04 We'll Get There

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by smbaker, Jul 14, 2014.

1. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Okay, so I have no idea whether you can tow a ship that large with the parachutes they deployed, but I rather doubt it would have made a significant difference.

I also don't think it would have turned the propellers and spun up the alternators to produce significant power.

I don't understand why they had no generator capability whatsoever to power a little refrigerator for the samples. Not even a portable.

Letting the samples actually sink to and rest on the ocean floor sounded enormously risky.

What is the crew capacity of a destroyer? 3000 gallons of water, properly rationed, sounded to me like it would have been enough to last the number of people that I see in the show.

2. vertigo235

vertigo235 Active Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Yeah, this one was probably the worst of the bunch for me so far. It was hard for me to detach from reality and enjoy this one.

3. Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    Now thats a novel way to turn a guided missile destroyer into a schooner. ;) I think you'd have to have hurricane winds and momentum to make a dent into a 9000 ton vessel but what do I know, not a seaman.

4. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    Yeah, I mentioned to my son that the laws of Physics must be different in this show.

Also, wouldn't it make sense for them to have a lookout up on a mast, with no radar, instead of just looking out of the bridge windows?

5. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I almost expected Frankie and Annette to show up at the beach party.

And, with Dash Riprock as the cap'n of this Arleigh Burke class destroyer, his stalwart crew can accomplish anything!

6. smbaker

May 24, 2003
    I think I've figured out the problem. As someone alluded to in the other thread, they're trying to do 'Star Trek' on a naval ship in 2014.

You can't just make up 2014 technology and have it behave in ways that are contrary to reality. We already have 2014 tech and we know how it works.

7. Big Deficit

Big Deficit Happy now?

Jul 7, 2003
    The parachutes seem like a stretch. Don't they have oars???

Also, when the salt water filtration failed, why didn't they use the captain's magic hands to repair it?

:)

8. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I just rewatched the exchange where they were trying to figure out what to do. The parachutes were NOT for moving the ship. They were only to spin the propellers enough to generate electricity for cooling the lab while the engines were off. They couldn't turn the engine on until the parachutes worked, though, because the case needed to be at the bottom of the ocean. Once the parachutes worked they could put the samples back in the lab and go back to their once every six hours schedule.

9. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    well

i've been enjoying this as popcorn summer fare but even i have to agree this episode was kinda lame

the fake suspense they have done so well creating was non existent - well maybe except for the scene where they put the viruses in the ocean to keep them cool

10. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    Right but the way they got the propellers to move was by moving the ship.

11. squint

squint New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    They may have had hand-powered reverse osmosis filters in their life raft kits. They're hard work but one person can generate more than enough fresh water.

They do make sail kites to supplement the engine power of slower vessels:

[​IMG]

12. smbaker

May 24, 2003
    Which made it really confusing how they were using the parachutes while the sample container was out. They're just not putting much thought into this. They need to hire some technical consultants. It doesn't even necessarily need to be consultants who are experts on naval ships. Just guys that understood high school physics would be a huge step forward.

13. squint

squint New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Once the kite sails were up and the prop was being turned, they were able to generate electricity and hoisted the samples back onboard.

14. pkscout

pkscout Active Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    True. But before they hoisted it up it was dragging along the ocean floor at a pretty good clip. That can't be good for the case.

I've definitely put this show on my list of things I enjoy as long as I don't think about it too much.

15. MrGreg

MrGreg New Member

May 2, 2003
    I'm guessing that sail is just a big larger than the 3 standard issue parachutes they were using.

16. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Active Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    I just kept thinking "I'm sure" many times during this ep. The show might have just jumped the shark.

17. eddyj

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    And I am guessing the ship would have to be moving at a pretty good clip to have the propellers spin fast enough to generate that much power.

18. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    What? I don't understand that. The way it sounded to me was that the parachutes were hooked up to something that would turn the propellers without the engine running.

As for the case dragging along the bottom, I think we were supposed to assume they hoisted it up and took it back to the lab before the ship started going full speed ahead.

19. eddyj

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    Moving the ship causes the propellers to rotate, which would generate electricity (motors and generators being pretty much the same thing).

They only called for the case to be brought up after the ship had started moving significantly (and dragging the case, one would pressume).

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    And every show on TV and every movie too.