1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Lands of Ice and Fire (A Game of Thrones)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Nov 5, 2012 #1 of 16
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    This sounds like a very cool book...can't wait to get my hands on it! An official atlas of the Game of Thrones world.

http://www.randomhouse.com/book/221...nd-fire-a-game-of-thrones-by-george-rr-martin

[​IMG]

2. Nov 5, 2012 #2 of 16
    ozzman73

ozzman73 Home Made

Nov 27, 2006
    That sounds like an awesome addition to the collection. I often use the Westeros Android app

3. Nov 5, 2012 #3 of 16
    TampaThunder

TampaThunder Active Member

Apr 8, 2003
    Tampa, FL
    Very cool. Thanks for the heads up.

4. Nov 5, 2012 #4 of 16
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Yes, very cool indeed!

* I just finished Book Three (and coincidentally, dl'ed B4 to my Kindle this weekend). So to remain spoiler free, I'll have to wait...

* Should this have waited until the series is complete? Aside from a sales/marketing POV, isn't there the possibility that new lands and/or movements will occur in the remaining books, hence invalidating this book?

OR (crazy like a fox)... requiring the publishing of an entirely new and updated book.:rolleyes:

5. Nov 5, 2012 #5 of 16
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Thanks, just dl'ed!!:up:

6. Nov 5, 2012 #6 of 16
    billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    I suppose real Atlases have yearly updates, so it's no big deal to issue a revised version once the series finishes.

I will love this book.

7. Nov 5, 2012 #7 of 16
    gschrock

gschrock Member

Dec 27, 2001
    holt, mi
    Hmm, torn on this myself. I have a similar book for the wheel of time series, and suspect I'd find it interesting. However, all my reading these days is on the kindle. I'm actually trying to get rid of the huge collection of books I have so I can get rid of bookshelves, so adding more large books isn't really the direction I want to go.

(On a side note, trying to downsize a book collection is pretty depressing. They're absolutely worthless, but it hurts to just get rid of them knowing how much I've spent over the years. But I have too many bookshelves and need to get rid of some of them because they just take up too much space these days.)

8. Nov 5, 2012 #8 of 16
    laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    Maps are cool and all, but stop wasting time on maps, George, and get working on Book 6. ;)

9. Nov 5, 2012 #9 of 16
    DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Donate them to your local library. You'd be amazed at what kind of deduction you can get. I use Turbotax/It's Deductible, which has IRS-vetted values, and I was astounded.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I'm a map freak, and one thing that has really bugged me while reading the books is the terrible quality of the maps...it will be so nice 10-15 years from now when the next book comes out, and I reread the series to remember what was going on, to finally have decent maps to go with them. :D

11. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
  12. gschrock

gschrock Member

Dec 27, 2001
    holt, mi
    I've thought of that, although I haven't looked into whether they library is really going to want them or not. I'm pretty sure about all they do with them is sell them themselves, not use them as lending material. So whether they really want a stack of a couple thousand books dumped on them or not might be debatable :).

13. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Why do we need maps, when we've got the opening credit sequence from the TV show?

;)

14. Polcamilla

Polcamilla -b±√(b^2 - 4ac)/2a

Nov 7, 2001
    Yeah...the maps are truly abysmal, especially considering that GRRM seems to follow the classic fantasy novel rule that if it's on the map (well, in his case, mentioned), the heroes have to go there at some point. I kept going back and staring at that one puddly little map trying to figure out what city Daenerys was in (at the START of the series, people!) because I just couldn't believe she was simply not on the map at all. And then there's the issue that it took until well into book 3 to figure out that "Westeros" was the name of the main country.

I slogged through the whole Simarilion with some fairly dodgy cartography and it was just fine, but being unable to acquaint myself with the GRRM geography drove me batty, especially since all the characters seem to know EXACTLY where everything is and make vague, unexplained references to places and distances all the time.

It's like reading Percy Jackson without being acquainted with mythology.

15. Polcamilla

Polcamilla -b±√(b^2 - 4ac)/2a

Nov 7, 2001
    ...and why is this in "Now Playing"?

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Because I figured more people here watch the show than read the books, and the atlas is good for both.