1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Killing | "Oji Gun" | Season 2 Ep 4 | 4-15-12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mm2margaret, Apr 15, 2012.

1. mm2margaret

mm2margaret Meagan

Dec 7, 2010
    northern...
    Not sure how I felt about this episode. It felt much more like a setup episode than any of the others this season. Not quite as intense either.

Still better than last season. I just wanted it to move more. For instance, in the previews for the next ep, Richmond finally gets a clue about who set him up. I just wish that had happened and was more developed in this episode. That has great potential as a sub-plot.

Still some nice (though difficult) scenes, in particular the one in which he ends up on the floor. I've seen that happen to some folks that needed help into a wheel chair, and his reactions as the character were great.

We got a bit of Linden's backstory, which was interesting, but I'm not sure how much that moved the story along.

I'd give the episode a B-.

2. mike_k

mike_k Registered User

Sep 20, 2005
    Mason, OH
    Slow as usual. I didn't watch the previews, but I don't really care about Richmond at this point. He's not the killer, be done with him. And I don't really care about a custody battle over Jack. I wish they would dump these story lines and focus on, well, the killing.

At least we might know now who killed Rosie and why. Didn't Rosie's dad see the photo of her body in the trunk? How could he not recognize the scene from when he killed the mob guy?

3. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I think the backstory on Jack is so that Lindon (or whatever her name is) would have even more stress in her life.

4. mm2margaret

mm2margaret Meagan

Dec 7, 2010
    northern...
    Here's what I think the Killing is all about, and what it's not about.

The Killing, I think, is not so much about the killing of Rosie, so much as it is really about all the collateral damage that the killing of Rosie causes. Damage to the family, damage to the mother, damage to the father, damage to Richmond, damage to Linden. From that one death each life that touches that death experiences ripples of darkness, and unpleasant disruption to their lives.

The problem with this approach is that first, it really doesn't fit American audiences that well. We're used to quick resolutions, and our episodic tv show that. Second, and much more importantly, it takes a lot subtlety and skill in writing, direction and acting to pull that approach off.

For me, I think the approach has value, but as I said or implied earlier, it's a much more difficult approach to take. When the show smolders and is at a near boil, like it was in episodes 1-3 of this season, it's great. But when it's off, just even a little bit, to me it seems slow, and somewhat directionless.

It's still much better than it was last year. This episode wasn't as good as the previous three, but it's still worth watching.

5. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    I thought this ep rocked...several storylines moving forward, but, yet many questions still to be answered.

One example of how great this show is -- early on, Richmond turns his head and you see no tears, but a streak where there had been some tears. Some of the best TV right now.

6. mm2margaret

mm2margaret Meagan

Dec 7, 2010
    northern...
    Don't get me wrong. I like the show. I just thought this episode wasn't quite as intense (and thereby satisfying) as episode three.

7. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    This episode made me finally give up. I deleted the ep about ten minutes in and killed the SP. The scene where the older kid locked the younger one in the trunk and the aunt pushed him and the kids yelling that they hate each other, that was it for me. This followed Linden being pissy at Holder. This show has the most miserable people I've ever seen. Episode after episode. If I wanted unrelenting misery, I'd watch an hour of those late night commercials with abused animals and starving foreign kids. I tried, The Killing. I did, but it's you, not me.

8. stellie93

stellie93 Active Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Linden deserves to lose her kid. She's a terrible mother. At least from what we see--she never spends any time with him.

9. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    Who was the guy that Mitch's sister called up then quickly hung up on? Are we supposed to know who that is, yet?

10. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I think that might have finally hit home when Holder made the comment about her getting "Jack's dinner" from the vending machine at juvie.

11. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    This episode's ending fell back on a bad habit from season one. One thing we can be sure of, Alexi Giffords did NOT kill Rosie.

12. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    Well, she never really learned how to be a good mother. Being bounced around foster care her entire life wasn't a great foundation. I think she is doing the best she can - her problem is that she needs help and won't accept any. She came close when she was engaged last season, but she destroyed that relationship. I don't think she knows how to be happy, or thinks she deserves to be happy.

And at least she didn't abandon the kid for years like his father did. There is something to be said for being present.

13. gossamer88

gossamer88 HDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    One thing I did like was Stanley telling his kid to not back down and hit the biggest kid.

14. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Of course you didn't like it. A TV show in the standard mold wouldn't do that but this show breaks the mold.

15. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    What is this? Opposite day? That is the second post I have seen tonight where the person quoted someone and then responded as if they said the opposite.

16. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    Um - he said he DID like it.

I liked it, too.

17. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Maybe Bierboy died and went to... :D

18. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Pay no attention to me; I'm running on fumes...too many late night hockey playoff games...

19. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    LOL. :)

I like the point about the collateral damage from the killing.