1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the infamous $700+ s3 who swapped for a mini

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by synch22, Sep 27, 2013.

1. synch22

synch22 New Member

Dec 30, 2003
    What did u get for it? I'm thinking maybe $200.... Hard to part with the dinosaur that cost an arm and a leg 6 yrs ago. Seeing how good the mini is w/ the roamio thinking its time.

At first I thought I'd miss the tuners but I've mastered multi tuner watching on the mini, simply record the other show and switch between live TV and the recorded show. Tuner problem solved.

Did u say goodbye?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Sold a couple for about $200/ea. well worth it in my opinion. I got plenty of use out of them so the low price didn't really bother me.

3. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Finally got my Mini setup and it is replacing the OLED S3... With FIOS upping the Cablecard rate to $5 each, it only made sense to finally pull the trigger.

I am pretty fond of that old TiVo - I purchased it right after release to go with my new DLP TV.

Come to think of it... I paid more for that Samsung 50" DLP TV and it didn't last nearly as long as the TiVo. I had to replace both the bulb and the ballast before I finally gave up on it.

I am hoping to still get $250 for the retired S3 and HD units. With the new Roamio units out - the prices may have dropped a little.

4. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I had a 50” Samsung DLP too. I had to replace the bulb at least a half dozen times in the 8 years I had it, and the color wheel once. It was by far the most expensive TV I ever owned. It was comparatively cheap to purchase, but I paid almost as much as the TV for maintenance overt he years. I finally replaced it with an LED Tv last year.

5. Oct 3, 2013 #5 of 26
    Toeside

Toeside Circa Dec 2005

Feb 14, 2002
    St Louis, MO
    That's funny. Both of my (now sold) S3 TiVos outlasted our Mitsubishi DLP.

Now we have a Roamio+ and 2 minis and I'm thrilled worth the new boxes.

6. Oct 4, 2013 #6 of 26
    Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    Thread hijacked! But my 61" Samsung DLP purchased in 2005 is still going strong. Color wheel shattered once about 2 years ago. I assumed it was the bulb (because it had never been replaced) and replaced it. Nothing.

So I had it looked at and it was the color wheel - cost me a couple hundred bucks to fix that, plus $85 or so for the bulb which probably didn't need replaced yet. Somehow I ended up with 2 new bulbs (I think I ordered one online but then got impatient and bought one locally too). So now I'm running a ~2 year old bulb, plus I have a never used one AND the original one that still probably works.

Something tells me the replacement color wheel will not outlive my bulb collection. Probably will not replace the color wheel again, but the next burned out bulb will unfortunately not be a valid excuse for me to get a new TV. :(

7. Oct 4, 2013 #7 of 26
    WRX09MD

WRX09MD Member

Aug 24, 2013
  8. Oct 9, 2013 #8 of 26
    synch22

synch22 New Member

Dec 30, 2003
    Pulling the trigger, really surprised at MOCA performance, I got 2 and 3 splitters at times and the mini is running fine in those areas. Plus the overall experience using the roamio via a mini I've decides is worth the swap.

9. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    When the Mini came out I immediately got one and sold the TiVo HD that I had in the bedroom. I think I got around $275 with lifetime (similar to what I got for the other TiVo HD that I sold when I got the XL4). I had upgraded the hard drive in it though.

You know, with most electronics you can't sell them 4-6 years down the road for even 10% of what you paid for them new, so the fact that a TiVo is often worth 33% or more of what the original outlay is says a lot.

10. TC25D

TC25D New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    The TiVo box itself, i.e., the electronics, is worth pretty much what other electronics of similar age and condition are worth. It's the TiVo lifetime subscription that makes the difference.

11. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT

True; BUT if TiVo did not use the Lifetime model, just one price that includes what we are calling Lifetime service (like most other electronics) would the used price model be different ?

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    But then if they used the one price model they would have less customers. Since right now many still opt for the monthly service instead of lifetime. I still have $6.95 a month service on a launch Premiere.

13. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    That may be true but I was talking about the price on a used TiVo with Lifetime service VS the price of a used TiVo if monthly was never an option.

14. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Without a monthly option to compare against the value of lifetime may not be perceived to be as high. Right now people can do a calculation and determine that lifetime is a better value compared to monthly. If there were no monthly option the value of lifetime wouldn't be as obvious and used prices would probably be lower.

15. Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    So what do you do with a big old DLP when you're done with it? Recycle? Give it to some other poor sap? Reason I ask is I now have another common DLP problem - collapsing light tunnel causing shadow bar. From my research it looks like I might be able to get the part and fix it myself for about $55, fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it.)

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If you like DLP get it fixed. I currently have three DLP sets at home, although I'm only using two of them. I certainly prefer them for gaming and they did offer the best bang for the buck. Especially the 82" DLP I got at the end of last year for only $1400. The Sammy 1080P DLP I had back in 2005 was only 61" and it was $4k.

17. Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    I might have the same DLP from 2005. 61" Samsung 1080P (although as I recall it receives 1080P only via the PC input) bought in 2005. I do like the picture of the DLP, but it is the only TV I've ever owned that I've had to do any maintenance on. If it was just replacing bulbs - no big deal - I knew that going in. It's the failing parts that are a hassle.

18. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I wish I knew. Mine is still sitting in the dining room. I don't have a car big enough to take it to the dump and our garbage pickup wont take anything that wont fit in their can. I thought about setting it on the curb with a "free" sign, but I don't think my neighbors would appreciate that. I may ultimately end up taking a sledge hammer to it so it'll fit in the can.

19. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    I have a 60" SXRD that cost $3000 new that is now sitting in my basement. I thought it had a good PQ until I got my 1080P VT series plasma.

I probably couldn't give it away right now for even $200.

20. Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    The dining room?!?! You must have a very patient wife. :p

Anyway I broke down and ordered the light tunnel. Perhaps I have masochistic tendencies when it comes to stuff like this, but it just doesn't feel right not to try to squeeze another 5 years out of the beast.

Edit: I know Goodwill and Best Buy both recycle old electronics in my area. Think they would take something that big?