1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Following-Spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by SNJpage1, Feb 12, 2013.

1. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I added the spoiler so that comments could be made to help explain why you might like or not like the show. Havent seen any comments about this show yet. Every one in the media was saying it couldnt keep up the pace of the first one. So far I think it has.

2. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    There are several threads on The Following in this sub-forum.

3. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Lock or delete.

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Or you can take steps to ignore the thread and you won't have to see it.

Click on Thread tools -> ignore this thread.

5. SnakeVargas

SnakeVargas New Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Savage Village
    This has created the opposite problem: burnout and desensitization. Serial killers are popping out of the woodwork and the protagonist is killing one each episode. "The following" must be a cult of epic proportions in order to keep supplying serial killers for the protagonist to kill at this rate.

This has a two pronged effect (as George Costanza would say). Firstly, it strains the believability of the plot that Joe Carroll has created such a huge following completely unknown to all authorities during his prison stay. Secondly, it makes each one of these followers very unimportant since the audience never gets sufficient time to care about them. A death spiral of character apathy.

Prediction: The series will officially jump the shark when Westin and Parker are revealed to be followers. Westin at the end of season 1., Parker at the end of season 2, assuming the series lasts that long.

I enjoy the show. It's too bad, but it just can't keep the momentum going forever at this pace.

6. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Hey, Jack, I've been around the block. I have MANY threads on ignore.....:D

7. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I generally enjoy this show but this point is what bugs me every week. They need to eliminate the face to face meetings in the prison or eventually I will snap and delete my season pass.

8. Timbeau

Timbeau Active Member

May 31, 2002
    VT
    I really wanted to like this show, but its need to generate stronger and stronger drama forced me to cancel the season pass. I'm hoping it makes a descent back to reality sometime so I can pick it up again.

9. TiVolunteer

TiVolunteer lotta lurk rare post

Jul 10, 2001
    Cary, NC
    I'm not following you here. The only "face-to-face" meetings that Carroll is having in prison right now are with the FBI. All the other face-to-face meetings that you see were flashbacks to before they knew he had this cult thing going on.

Are you saying that he wouldn't be meeting face-to-face with the FBI?

10. SnakeVargas

SnakeVargas New Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Savage Village
    I bet he means the ones in the Flashbacks. Do convicted serial killers have as much unmonitored access to visitors as Carroll did? How did he manage to get such a huge following without anyone becoming aware of it?

I wonder if someone else in this forum is correct, that Carroll is not really the mastermind behind this. Maybe he is just a figurehead and someone else not only put his following together but was the impetus behind Carroll becoming a serial killer in the first place. Maybe it will be like Burn Notice where whenever we find out who the big bad guy is there is another bigger bad guy behind him.

11. TAsunder

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I'm referring to the writing and the plot device of flashbacks to meetings with Carroll, not to what the FBI should disallow. Sorry for being unclear. Having an unlimited number of visitors openly discuss murder with him and then no one having a clue about it is just too preposterous to put the suspension of disbelief blinders over for me. Even if we can assume we've seen all of the actual visitors, I just can't stop hating on the scenes where no one is paying attention to or recording the conversations where they openly discuss murder.

12. SnakeVargas

SnakeVargas New Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Savage Village
    Playing devils advocate in defense of the show perhaps the people who are supposed to be paying attention are more followers. He had at least one prison guard on his side. Maybe he had more. Maybe someone high up in the prison system is protecting him. Someone he met before being sentenced.

My hypothesis of followers within the prison infrastructure may be even more implausible than assuming nobody is paying attention but it does fit with the premise and nature of the show as we know it so far. I wonder if they will ever explain it or merely assume we are dummies who do not need an explanation.

13. TAsunder

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I like the way you think. Maybe if we complain enough they will take notice and address it.