1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Dust Bowl- Ken Burns

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by StacieH, Nov 12, 2012.

1. StacieH

StacieH betativowho??

Jan 2, 2009
    Between San...
    In case anyone is interested, the latest mini series by Burns airs the 18th and 19th:

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/dustbowl/

2. BK89

BK89 New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks for the reminder, just set it to record. :up:

3. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Awesome! My dads family came out to CA during the dust bowl. I'll force my kids to watch. ;)

Greg

4. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    So did anyone watch? I thought it was very interesting. Although like most Ken Burns documentaries I thought it would have been fine at half the length.

5. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I thought it was fascinating, I knew about the dust pneumonia and had heard stories, but did not know the extent....or all of the root causes....
    Some heartwarming stories, too-like how the feed companies heard that the farmer's wives were making dresses out of feed bags and started making them out of pretty patterns..how sweet!
    It's a miracle anyone survived!

6. kaszeta

kaszeta Fjohürs Lykkewe TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    I saw an early version of it several months ago (Ken Burns lives near here, and we get to see most of his new shows at Dartmouth before they air), along with a panel of several of the people interviewed. Way cool.

7. efilippi

efilippi Active Member

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    An exhaustive overview of the era is in "The Worst Hard Time" by Timothy Egan. I read it via audible a couple years ago and had a very Hard Time just getting through it. What a horrible situation.

8. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I watched and thought it was really interesting, one of his best, I think. What I always thought was that the Dust Bowl covered the whole Midwest Plains states, but it seems like the majority of it was centered in the Oklahoma panhandle with KS, TX, NM and COL effected as well. When you think about the 1930s, that might have been one of the worst decades in the history of Western Civilization. Depression, Dust Bowl, rise of Fascism among other things.

9. brianric

brianric Active Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    Thanks for the tip, just bought the Kindle version. :up:

10. StacieH

StacieH betativowho??

Jan 2, 2009
    Between San...
    As the OP, I should have watched it by now, but I haven't. It's on the DVR, we just haven't had a chance. I'm looking forward to it!

11. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Mine's on the DVR as well, been waiting for a good time to watch.

Greg

12. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    I need to watch this. I grew up in that part of Kansas that they talk about. My Dad said I'd really appreciate it.

When I was in third grade, we had a dust storm that made it dark as night. We were trapped at school until it passed. Even back then I understood that it must have been horrible in the dust bowl.

13. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    Guess I'm going to have to pick it up on DVD, looks like its not repeating soon.

14. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    FWIW, I saw the DVD already at my local library.

15. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
  16. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    There was a History Channel special about the Dust Bowl a couple of years ago. I wonder if Burns had to alter his story in any way because of it.

17. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I watched it and enjoyed it. However, I do think it was a bit long. We watched it over two nights and towards the last hour of the second part I was hoping it would get over.

18. ewolfr

ewolfr .

Feb 12, 2001
    SoCal
  19. efilippi

efilippi Active Member

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    You should try the book I mentioned and you would really hope it would get over. The whole story is so depressing that it just grinds on. Says something about us (me) I suppose that I can't stand much hearing about it, never mind actually having to live it.

Disclosure: I couldn't finish the book. Just too much. :(