1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah (12/5/16, 12/6/16 and 12/8/16)

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by morac, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Dec 4, 2016 #1 of 26
    morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    The TiVo guide data has "Comedy Central Programming" instead of The Daily Show on Monday (12/5/16), Tuesday (12/6/16) and Thursday (12/8/16), so those won't record. Wednesday (12/7/16) is correct so that will record.

2. Dec 5, 2016 #2 of 26
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Thanks for the warning. Messing with TDS is bad, very bad.

Also bad on tv.com, ok on tvguide.com and screener.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  3. Dec 5, 2016 #3 of 26
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Good grief! Fortunately, I manually record each episode a week at a time, so mine are still scheduled to record, even though it has that generic guide data. Thanks for the warning!

How bizarre! @ midnight, right after TDS, is still normal on mine. I have a Pass for that one.

4. Dec 5, 2016 #4 of 26
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    After my scheduled download around 4pm TDS is fixed.

5. Dec 5, 2016 #5 of 26
    morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    One of my boxes made its connection for today at 4 am, so i just forced a connection. The other connected at 4 pm (eastern) and the guide is correct, but the Todo list is still wrong. I'm hoping it updates the To Do list by tonight.

6. Dec 5, 2016 #6 of 26
    mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Unfortunately it likely won't. It's only anecdotal, but it seems to me like it takes at least overnight for this kind of issue to be fixed (guide data & to do don't match).

Though someone else pointed out an issue that I think *IS* new after the switchover to the new guide data (i.e. post acquisition) -- if you have a recording with generic guide data, delete it, and recover it, it now will have filled in data. (Actually, in one instance I saw yesterday, it already had the correct data when it was in recently deleted..)

I've never seen that exact experience before.. But the inconsistency between to do & guide data (even view upcoming FROM a to do list entry) has been there forever..

7. Dec 6, 2016 #7 of 26
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Mine fixed itself by the time I came home today.

8. Dec 6, 2016 #8 of 26
    chiguy50

chiguy50 Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I had spotted this guide error last week and set a manual recording for the three omitted TDS airings. But earlier today, before the Rovi guide self-corrected the listing, I noted that my OP had flagged the TDS reairing at 1:37 AM for recording (which I then cancelled).

As irksome as these ongoing guide errors are, it is somewhat reassuring to know that--at least in this case--the desired program would have been recorded regardless.

9. Dec 6, 2016 #9 of 26
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That's interesting. My 1:37am was also wrong. Before Trevor, there was a repeat the following morning. That's gone now. But I no longer have the repeats scheduled on Monday mornings. I guess that's why.

10. bbrown9

bbrown9 Member

Mar 12, 2011
    when I noticed that the 11:00 didn't record, I did a connect and saw that the guide data was corrected. I did get the 1:37am recording and the rest of the week now looks OK on my ToDo List.

11. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Won't hurt to still keep an eye on it. I'm seeing a lot of things like this coming and going, and then returning, since this new data program with which we have been gifted (what did I do wrong? hehe).

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    DAMN! I thought this was fixed. Tonight has a generic description on my feed and it's not in my To Do List. I'm going to force a connection and see if it fills in.

13. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    *sigh* I just checked mine and it changed to 'Comedy Central Programming'.

One good thing about scheduling that show manually, aside from not getting every single re-airing because it's never been right, is that when it does change to generic, it still records.

Should we be getting paid for being beta testers? ;)

ETA - I just went further and tomorrow's episode is still specific and properly coded. It's just today's that went generic.

14. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    My connection fixed it. It takes a few minutes for the indexing to get it placed on the To Do List. We should at least get baby-sitter's pay.

Pay attention. It seems screener/Gracenote has finally fixed TDS to be Season 2, not 22. However, on 12/19 it's not scheduled. This may be correct, but I don't trust anything now.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  15. saberman

saberman Member

May 4, 2004
    Tried it -- it didn't work.

16. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I checked the TiVo iOS app and my recordings for tonight is gone, which is very odd since that's the only one that was actually correct in the first place. Thursday's is still there.

The guide in the app, which uses the latest server guide data as opposed to the data on the box, has information for tonight's episode, but apparently it was missing when my box made it's connection for today. That means I need to force a connection when I get home.

This is getting really annoying with having to force connections nightly to make sure I have the correct data. I wish there was a way of forcing connections when away from home. Or better yet, not having the guide data keep changing at the last second and needing to force connections.

17. saberman

saberman Member

May 4, 2004
    Sorry, but I have been developing software for over forty years. From what I have seen the code that assembles the guide is at Alpha not Beta.
    My guess is that nobody at Rovi bothered to look to consider the guide when the company changed hands.
    The group charged with building the guide is probably new and doesn't understand the interface(s) to the source information and how to validate it. It is easy enough to add a check on the data for things like "blacklisted" (I think that is part of what shows up when the listing is bad.) That should throw up a flag (or turn on a buzzer under the group's chairs) that the data needs to be cleaned.

sharkster likes this.
  18. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Sounds like they need you, Saberman! :) Seriously. They need somebody who knows what the fork they are doing. Geez, as little as I know (and it's pretty little!), I could have probably figured things out by now. Well, ok, maybe not - but something! It's been months.

19. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    12/12 to 12/15 are screwed up for me.

Monday's episode is marked as S01E01 for some reason but still accurately labels Obama as the guest. The rest of the week is Comedy Central Programming.

20. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Monday is showing the correct info for me other than the season and episode, but for some reason it's not scheduled to record even though the first aired date correct.

Tuesday through Thursday are scheduled as normal.