1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Show With John Oliver....

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by YCantAngieRead, Jun 19, 2013.

1. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    So, how do you think he's doing? I was just wondering what others thought.

I think this week has had some ups and downs but I'm starting to really enjoy him. I miss Stewart, but Oliver's not too shabby.
  2. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Nice change of pace. I'm enjoying him.
  3. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    I think he's great.
  4. Gerryex

Gerryex Member

Apr 24, 2004
    I agree!! I am a VERY BIG fan of the Daily Show and really miss it when they show repeats. Jon Stewart has a certain style which really matches up to the Daily Show's format. But I also always liked John Oliver and think he is just doing great. I especially liked the first Oliver episode where the "remote" correspondents started giving their reports only to reveal that they were talking about Oliver taking over as host where they should have been the host. Very funny. Also it looks like for the opening of each episode Oliver will have a funny remark about where Stewart is. Again very funny.

P. S. There's a very funny BBC show called The Green Wing about the antics in a hospital and it was shown in the US a few years ago, I forget on what channel. But at least the first episode is on YouTube. In there John Oliver has a small role as a new car salesman and that's the only other place I've seen him other than on The Daily Show!

P. P. S. For fans of the Showtime show Episodes, the "married" British couple are primary characters in The Green Wing!
  5. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    I'm really enjoying John Oliver as host. Although I will say that he seems to basically just be channeling Jon Stewart. Obviously the writers are still the same so most of the jokes are written the same way they were written for JS. But some of the little asides and mannerisms seem to be JO copying what he's watched JS do for so many years. And I can't fault him for that. After working on the show for eight years, it would be nearly impossible to get behind that desk and not do some of the same things that JS does.
  6. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Active Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Does this mean that they won't take most of July off like they normally do? I guess not since the writers still get the vacation.

I don't mind Oliver as host. Like said previously, it is the same writers so the content is pretty much the same.
  7. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    I kind of like that he's pulling that aspect off. I was worried he'd go for something completely different, delivery-wise, and I think this, while very similar, works for an enjoyable program that doesn't lose completely the pacing of Stewart, should he decide to come back long term (I almost cried just writing that.)
  8. Waldorf

Waldorf Super Duper Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Showing my age I guess, but I was hoping they'd bring Craig Kilborn back. What's he up to these days?
  9. lambertman

lambertman To see you, Nice

Dec 20, 2002
    Craig Kilborn is not at all suited to host TDS as it now exists.
  10. KenDC

KenDC Huggy Bear

Jun 18, 2001
    I think he is doing very well. I am a big Jon Stewart fan. John Oliver seems a little bit more laid back which is sometimes better and sometimes not. I think the picking on himself needs to end. It was cute at the beginning but it is getting old.
  11. secondclaw

secondclaw New Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Love it - especially the jokes about him being there. Lewis Black going on his rant, then when done looks at Oliver, pauses, then - "who the #@^% are you????" ...
    The field reporters reaction on his first day was great as well. I wonder if he'll become another spinoff, like Colbert ...
  12. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    I remember when this was first announced several months ago, they said John Oliver would be hosting for six weeks while JS is away. Then on last night's show, during the segment with Mick Foley, they said JS will return in September. So it seems they'll still be taking plenty of time for vacation.
  13. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    John Oliver is doing very well.
  14. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    I think he's just fine. I'm still laughing. I agree, he's doing a lot of what JS does, so it's not that different, but his delivery is good. (It still seems a bit odd having a Brit cover US politics as if he's a native American, but I can easily get past it, as I do with Katty Kay on The Chris Matthews Show).

I still think he's trying to find his way on interviews though. Hopefully that will come, but right now, he's not very good. Luckily most of his guests have been fairly well known, but, like last night he struggled interviewing someone who was pushing a new book. I'm not sure if the topic bored him or he didn't prepare, but he just seemed out of his element.
  15. Anubys

Anubys KMT Soccer Playa

Jul 16, 2004
    huh...I hardly ever listen to interviews unless it's someone very interesting. Even then, JS is usually pretty bad.
  16. sharkster

sharkster Active Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    I also think he's doing well. I had considered tuning out for the summer but I'm glad I didn't go through with that. Some pretty good laughs so far.

Of course, I miss Jon S. He's so smart and funny - a perfect combination for me :) - But Oliver is holding his own very well, IMO.
  17. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Active Member

Feb 20, 2004
    One thing I have noticed with Oliver during the guest interviews is that he uses the same exact hand gestures Stewart uses when talking with a guest. When it is an author of a book, he bangs the book on the desk the same way Stewart does when showing to the camera even with the laying the book down after showing to the camera and slapping his hand on top of it.

Then the interview questions are in the same style. I guess I was naive in that I thought Stewart actually read those books and saw those movies, but he must have staff do it just like everyone else. Nothing wrong with that, just noticed it.
  18. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    He may do that for the same reason I do-to square up the dust jacket with the rest of the book.

Stewart read a LOT of those books. Not so sure about the movies. But he reads voraciously. And from my experience, he's always up front when he doesn't read it (and it shows.)

He wouldn't be as able to chat so well with the authors if he didn't. And make it sound like YOU NEED TO BUY THIS BOOK EVEN THOUGH IT'S NOT REMOTELY IN YOUR INTEREST.
  19. Boston Fan

Boston Fan New Member

Feb 7, 2006
    I feel just the opposite way - I think JS is a very good interviewer. One of the best prepared that I have seen and able to speak to even complex issues with substance.
  20. mattack

mattack New Member

Apr 9, 2001
    The Kilborn Daily Show was COMPLETLY DIFFERENT. (Actually, I'd like to hear what the creators think of the current Daily Show.. they still obviously get credited in the show, but as I said, it's way different.)

My VERY high level description is that Kilborn's Daily Show was MUCH more a spoof of things like 20/20 and 60 Minutes, with a TINY bit of topical info ("Weekend Update" like) in it.. Enough so that I'd FF through the longer segments often and watch just the topical info.

They still do longer segments sometimes, but they're much more topical I'd say, rather than being generic infotainment topics.

The only thing I can remember that I miss is 5 questions.

BTW, didn't Oliver host at LEAST one other time? Maybe when Jon was sick?