1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Show, wishlists, and you.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Martin Tupper, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Nov 9, 2007 #1 of 148
    Martin Tupper

Martin Tupper Pontiff Emeritus

Dec 18, 2003
    I've mentioned this in other threads, but someone asked that I start a new thread.

As anyone who has set up a Season Pass for "The Daily Show" knows, a few times a year, they take off for a couple of weeks and Comedy Central airs reruns. Unfortunately, they don't bother to provide good guide data for these reruns. They just used generic data. Without good guide data, TiVo can't determine if these are new shows or old shows, so it "plays it safe" and records them all, four or five times a day, for a week or two.

To get around this, the conventional wisdom has been to set up a recurring manual recording. However, the new Wishlist features in the 9.x software allow for a much more elegant solution. Here's how:
    1. Create a new WishList.
    2. Enter the show title as the first Keyword (or as a Title Keyword); "Daily Show with Jon Stewart"
    3. Give it a Thumbs up (which is the default)
    4. Enter the generic program description as the second Keyword (NOT as a Title Keyword): "A humorous slant on top news stories"
    5. Give it a thumbs down.
    6. Set the WishList to Auto Record with "first run only".
    In an nutshell, this will record all new episodes and ignore episodes with generic guide data.

No more reruns. No more multiple recordings. No more random Friday recordings as part of a M-F manual recording. And TiVo can choose to record a later airing if the tuners are busy at 11:00pm.

In addition to working very well for The Daily show and The Colbert Report, I use the above method for:
    • an ongoing "Amazing Race" wishlist that will automatically record each new season, but ignore generic reruns on GSN or Fox Reality.
    • SNL & Conan O'Brien wishlists that ignore generic, late night reruns.

2. Nov 9, 2007 #2 of 148
    flaminio

flaminio New Member

May 21, 2004
    Redwood...
    Cool tip, especially now with the writers' strike. Who knows when we'll see a new Daily Show? TiVo, probably :).

3. Nov 9, 2007 #3 of 148
    TiVoPony

TiVoPony New Member

May 11, 2002
    Alviso,...
    A very smart use of a new TiVo feature. Good job.

We try our best to have reliable guide information, but if the guys at Comedy Central take the day off, this is a good tip to get thru the blip.

I've forwarded it to Shanan, she's always looking for tips and tricks for her newsletter. Got any more? :)

Pony

4. Nov 9, 2007 #4 of 148
    richsadams

richsadams Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Good stuff Martin, thanks for that! :up: That'll keep my wife from sitting there deleting them every day during the writer's strike. ;)

5. Nov 9, 2007 #5 of 148
    MirclMax

MirclMax Ancient Member

Jul 12, 2000
    If have a problem with the solution as presented .. (though I don't have an alternative).

My experience with Comedy Central.. and particularly "The Daily Show" .. is more times than not .. they do not provide real data for even the new episodes.

Your solution, while helpful in knocking out the multitudes of repeats, could reject an episode that *is* new and just has generic guide data .. which wouldn't be good.

Better to have to go in and prune a manual recording .. then miss an episode in my opinion.

Actually, the best would be for them to have accurate guide data .. (Or have TiVo be pro-active and modify Tribune's data to be more accurate)

6. Nov 9, 2007 #6 of 148
    TiVoPony

TiVoPony New Member

May 11, 2002
    Alviso,...
    I completely agree with this last part. TiVo should negotiate a special 'Pony Seat' reserved in the audience at every taping of The Daily Show/Cobert Report. And I would get to sit there, see who's the guest for that night, and then update the guide data.

That would be sweet! :D

Honestly, if the guys making the show can't tell us who's going to be on that night, it's difficult for us to know. We could try to farm extra information from websites, blogs, etc...but that doesn't scale, and isn't any more reliable over the long run.

But the 'Pony Seat'...I like it!

Pony

7. Nov 9, 2007 #7 of 148
    Martin Tupper

Dec 18, 2003
    That has not been my experience.

I have gotten 4 Daily Show recordings a week since I started using it, except for this week when I've gotten only Monday's (which was scheduled as a new show with blank episode info).

8. Nov 9, 2007 #8 of 148
    MirclMax

MirclMax Ancient Member

Jul 12, 2000
    [First off, I appreciate that you are continuing to comment in this thread .. and I hope this post won't put you off]

I have to say that I *love* the irony of your post. You see, as a Daily Show watcher for many years now .. I've *often* been annoyed that the guide data has been lacking. But once I got my TiVoHD .. I found this *really* cool HME application .. Its called "Late Night Guide" and its on apps.tv I have always found it to be VERY reliable with regards to the guest lineup for up to 2 weeks. Heck, it even knows when a repeat is going to air (and which one!). Granted I'm not saying its accuracy is 100% because schedule changes happen.. and so forth .. but if the guide data were anywhere NEAR as accurate as the information in *that* application, I doubt anyone would bring this thing up ... and its not like this is the first time this has come up over the years.

If only there was some way you could get in touch with the guy who made that HME application. Clearly he is a genius! (Or clairvoyant) .. but nonetheless .. he should be able to sort it all out for you! .. Lets see .. they list his name somewhere on that site... ah.. that's it ... his name is Bob Pony. No e-mail address is listed. But, something tells me you could find him :)

*big grin*

-MirclMax

9. Nov 9, 2007 #9 of 148
    Stu_Bee

Stu_Bee New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Silicon...
    Maybe Comedy Central likes the fact that our Tivos record every single episode each day, due to the lack of guide data. It could be inflating their supposed viewer numbers and thereby increasing revenue.

Even if Martin's method kill's the new Daily/Cobert episodes that don't have guide data..maybe it would negatively impact Comedy Central and help promote accurate guide data. arrr...a dream of ComedyCentral taking notice.

10. Nov 9, 2007 #10 of 148
    mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I haven't read the whole thread yet, BUT YOU ARE A GENIUS.

I lost *some* show(s) yesterday because I came home to find 3 Daily Shows and 2 Colbert Reports recorded. Since I fairly obsessively check my To Do list, either I forgot to clean out that one day (seemingly unlikely), or I deleted something from the To Do list and forgot to check again later.. (unlikely too since with 2 tuners the "something new jumps in there" problem is less common). I know I did change *some* recordings to be save until I delete.. I think I left something like a Nova or some other PBS show 'in the line of fire' near the bottom of "view by date". But I can't be sure what I lost.

(Yes, I keep things close to full most of the time.. I haven't yet plugged in the new Tivo HD I got the other day from the lifetime deal.. I was intending on moving some shows to it this weekend.. argh.. I basically add up my recently deleted + suggestions to see if I have enough room to record before I expect to come home again.. usually it works, sine I'm recording only analog at the moment... but I came home to find the other recordings than what I expected..)

But I think I will use your technique this weekend for TDS & Colbert..

11. Nov 9, 2007 #11 of 148
    mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    http://www.interbridge.com/lineups.html

12. Nov 10, 2007 #12 of 148
    yunlin12

yunlin12 Tivonation Citizen

Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks Martin,

I was also worried about this methid killing new shows when the descriptions are blank, but then I noticed from this week's Colbert report, actually when the show is new, and when there is no description, it's actually completely blank, while on reruns, the show description would say something like "Stephen Colbert and guests discuss .....", so I put in a - AND GUESTS in the keyword search. I think it will work even for new shows with no descriptions. I also checked a couple of new Daily Shows I have from TTG, and the new ones, if they are blank, are completely blank, only the reruns say "A humorous slant ...". So I think this idea should work like a charm!

13. Nov 10, 2007 #13 of 148
    richsadams

richsadams Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Cleared out the To Do List...umpteen Daily Shows scheduled to record. :mad:

Used Martin's recommended setup and checked the upcoming episodes...ta dah! Zero, none. Perfect!

Cheers mate! :up: :)

14. Nov 10, 2007 #14 of 148
    Martin Tupper

Dec 18, 2003
    An easy way to find the generic show description is to search for the show on TiVo Central Online

The Colbert Report = "Stephen Colbert and guests discuss current issues"
    The Amazing Race = "Eleven teams of two travel the globe to try to win $1 million"
    SNL = "An ensemble performs sketch comedy"

Another tip: You can add more than on keyword with a thumbs down. In addition to the generic decription, a thumbs down of "reality remix" on the Amazing Race wishlist will weed out recap shows.

15. Nov 10, 2007 #15 of 148
    pdhenry

pdhenry Safety Pin

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    I may have to give the technique in the OP a try. For now I have four manual daily recordings set up - this way I only catch the 11:00-11:30 airings each Monday-Thursday and none of the other airings during the week. The downside is that it records whatever is on at 11:00 when TDS doesn't air. That works out to fewer unwanted recordings than a regular SP would generate, though.

16. Nov 10, 2007 #16 of 148
    ebf

ebf New Member

Mar 21, 2005
    Law & Order: Criminal Intent -

Keyword: -Solutions to crimes play out
    Title: LAW * ORDER CRIMINAL INTENT

17. Nov 14, 2007 #17 of 148
    SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    I setup wishlists for DS and CR just as you described but I'm still been getting repeats. And even if I go in to deselect shows it found that its going to record, every time I check, it only has one show listed in either WL.

I don't get it. Am I doing something wrong?

I've double and triple checked that I:

1. Create a new WishList.
    2. Enter the show title as first Keyword (or the Title); "Daily Show with Jon Stewart"
    3. Give it a Thumbs up (which is the default)
    4. Enter the generic program description as the second Keyword: "A humorous slant on top news stories"
    5. Give it a thumbs down.
    6. Set the WishList to Auto Record with "first run only".

And that's exactly how both wishlists are setup, but I had to turn off auto-record because it was picking up too much crap.

18. Nov 14, 2007 #18 of 148
    Chew

Chew New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    It's picking up a new Colbert tonight? There's a guest listed and the first run date shows 11/14. :confused:

19. Nov 14, 2007 #19 of 148
    Martin Tupper

Dec 18, 2003
    SeanC,

Strange, my S3 hasn't picked up a single episode of either since last Monday. What are the episode descriptions?

I suggest:
    1. Make sure that the generic description has a minus sign next to it.
    2. Make sure that you enter the generic description as a "Keyword" and not as a "Title Keyword".
    3. Double check that you've canceled your previous SP and/or Manual Recording.
    4. Quadruple check your spelling.

20. Nov 14, 2007 #20 of 148
    SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    OH!

I betcha it's number 2! I dinna realize there was a difference! :eek:

Thanks!

ETA:

I just checked with my slingbox, confirmed, I entered them as Title Keyword and not just Keyword....

Cool, I'll fix that tonight!