1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Bridge "The Beetle" 9/04/2013 S1E9

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Sep 5, 2013.

1. astrohip

astrohip Active Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston & Brenham TX
    Nine episodes down, four to go. And every time the end credits roll, I find myself saying, "I didn't see that coming." A testament to the writers that they keep us on the edge of our seats, yet stay grounded in reality, while taking us in directions we don't expect.

"I know what it means"
  2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    They lost one whole point for the targeted-broadsiding-of-a-car, a trope that I LOATHE AND DESPISE. As usual, it was incredibly stupid in context, done purely for dramatic purposes with no regard for whether it could possibly happen.

Other than that, great episode of a great show! :D
    You left out the punchline: [confused] "But I don't have children!"
  3. Is it common, or even possible for people to cross over that much?
  4. Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    Yes. They even have a special lane called Sentri for people who cross often and are pre-cleared.
  5. Timbeau

Timbeau Active Member

May 31, 2002
    I was hoping Alma would toss the grenade through the doorway as the guy was walking out.
  6. wprager

wprager Active Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Exactly what I thought immediately. On more sober reflection though that was not exactly a cement walled barn -- who knows how safe it would have been to throw it. Alma ain't exactly a MLB pitcher.

And as to the earlier comments about the car crash, how did he even know where she would be (he had no way of knowing where Gus would be, who would be driving him and where, and would he really risk sitting waiting somewhere that's close enough to be able to spot them coming out? In the dark? And when you ram someone like that, how do you prevent:
    1. Killing the target
    2. Not killing yourself
    3. Not wrecking your car so that you cannot drive away
    4. Cop driving actually surviving intact (air bag and all) and firing a couple of warning shots through your liver?
  7. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Then again, freezing in shock for a few seconds is probably a perfectly natural reaction. And not knowing exactly how a grenade works and how long you would have before it went off is also pretty natural (she probably doesn't watch as much TV as we do, so at least she won't know something that's wrong, but she probably also wouldn't know anything that's right).
    As I said before, common TV trope. Hate it. With a passion. For exactly those reasons.

I saw one show or movie not too long ago that did it right...they staked out a route, set up in a position with line of sight. It was a thing of beauty.

And I still hated it, just on principle. :D
  8. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins from Philly
    Finally got caught up with this show. I must have watched six or seven episodes this weekend.

Cesar deserves a big raise.

I think it was in the previous episode but the mustachioed cop calling Sonya the "village idiot savant" hurt MY feelings. I'm surprised it wasn't followed up with an apology once they realized that she was right.
  9. wprager

wprager Active Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    No more episode threads? Watched the latest one just now (is that it for the season?)

First thing I would have done is turn off the water supply line to the whole freaking house.
  10. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    Pulling weeds
    I think it served to illustrate that she has been made fun of for so long by so many that no one but Hank even notices any more.
    I love her.
  11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Although that
    would have made it almost impossible to find him, since she was tracing the sound of the running water...
  12. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I thought the same thing, but there are two more. In this last episode, I just wanted to kick his teeth in as he was grinning at 'em. Congrats show, good job making this guy seem as evil as possible.
  13. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I hated the targeted car crash in Homeland and I hated it here too. In a cop drama I'll buy the super villain but not one with the superpower of precognition.

It's still a fantastic show.
  14. whitson77

whitson77 New Member

Nov 10, 2002
    We got sick of it after this episode. Season pass deleted.

It started off with a lot of promise for us. But man it became pretty terrible (at least for us) in a hurry.