TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

The Blacklist S01E04: The Stewmaker

5K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  tivotvaddict 
#1 ·
I'm surprised to not see blacklist discussion this week! (or did I miss it somehow?)

The stewmaker felt to me like some weird hybrid of Dexter and Breaking bad. We've got rooms covered in plastic, and bodies dissolved in bathtubs.

I thought James Spader did a superb job of acting, with his speech prior to the stewmaker's demise.

I loved the scene where Ressler walks into the room with the mob boss, and Red immediately outs him as an FBI agent, and then Ressler expertly fabricates a cover story on the spot.

I'm liking this series more and more each week.

#3 ·
Casting Tom Noonan and having him refer to the belief that he was "evolving" only make the similarities to Silence of the Lambs that much more evident (in Manhunter, a "semi-prequel" to Silence of the Lambs, he played a psycho killer who believed he was "becoming").

#4 ·
Casting Tom Noonan and having him refer to the belief that he was "evolving" only make the similarities to Silence of the Lambs that much more evident (in Manhunter, a "semi-prequel" to Silence of the Lambs, he played a psycho killer who believed he was "becoming").
Heck, hasn't this guy made a career out of playing a "serial killer"? I guess he's just got that sort of mug that says "hey, I'm a creepy dude..."

#5 ·
I guess I watch too much TV/movies, but why doesn't the FBI know that if you trying the find a body, the first thing to look is the bathtub (or below it)?
Is it even possible to dissolve everything that is in a body in just a hottub?

#11 ·
not according to a particularly gross "Breaking Bad" themed episode of Mythbusters
Actually....

[Mythbusters spoilers]

When they used piranha etch (sulfuric acid and hydrogen peroxide), it completely dissolved the pig into a black sludge. Two problems, though. One was that it released a huge amount of vapor -- a truly staggering amount that would not have been practical in a motel room. Second, the resulting black sludge looked quite thick.

Perhaps if the Stewmaker had cut the body into dozens of small pieces, and the motel had a decent exhaust fan in the bathroom, he could add one small piece at a time and the exhaust fan could handle the vapor. That still leaves the black sludge. Perhaps it could be diluted with a lot of water to become thin enough to go down the drain. But then, for each piece, he would have to wait for it to dissolve, then run a lot of water to dilute it, flush it down the drain, and then put more piranha etch in the bathtub. So perhaps it would be possible, but it would take hours and hours.

#12 ·
Actually....

[Mythbusters spoilers]
So,

hydrogen peroxide

Was the "special sauce" they referred to in the episode, but wouldn't tell the audience what it was?

I think mythbusters is going to have to revisit this one though. The stewmaker used jaccuzzi tubs that had a great deal more agitation of the solution than breaking bad's tub did. ;)

#14 ·
I liked this episode a lot... except the title. "The Stewmaker"? Seriously, that's the nickname? Sounds like something a 7th grader would come up with.

Still... James Spader is awesome as always. ETA: most amazing thing about James Spader? He delivered that line naming "The Stewmaker"... without cracking up! Now that's acting my friends!

#16 ·
I'm surprised to not see blacklist discussion this week! (or did I miss it somehow?)

The stewmaker felt to me like some weird hybrid of Dexter and Breaking bad. We've got rooms covered in plastic, and bodies dissolved in bathtubs.

I thought James Spader did a superb job of acting, with his speech prior to the stewmaker's demise.

I loved the scene where Ressler walks into the room with the mob boss, and Red immediately outs him as an FBI agent, and then Ressler expertly fabricates a cover story on the spot.

I'm liking this series more and more each week.
Dexter & Breaking Bad themes merged:

1. Plastic-lined apartment
2. Dissolved dead guy
Smeek the TS even! lol attention to detail pro!

#17 ·
Late catching up on my viewing but I was very happy to see Tom Noonan on my TV again- during his first scene with wig and dog I screamed "Frances Dolarhyde!"
He is one of my most favorite villains of all time.
What makes it even creepier is that I still find him attractive in a kind of enthralling sort of way, so I guess that makes me creepy, too.

#21 ·
Had to start from the beginning because the first half of Season 2 isn't available on Netflix (grr). I'm enjoying seeing these beginning episodes and how they're different from the second half but still connected.

Starting to dislike the actress playing Keen in this episode. The paralytic agent is wearing off enough that she can lift her head as Red starts to kill Stewie but she can't turn it to try to see what he's doing? That's a poor acting choice, made all the more apparent by James Spader's impeccable body language choices that are simply inherently part of this character he just .... is.

tta

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.