1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Big Bang Theory [05/09/13] - "The Love Spell Potential"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by ScubaCat, May 10, 2013.

1. ScubaCat

ScubaCat Shades of Blue......

Jun 26, 2003
    N.E. GA
    Sheldon: See what happens when you let girls play D & D.

2. Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    I really feel sorry for Amy. She really cares about Sheldon and it can be painful being in a relationship where the partners are out of sync.

With the exception of Simon Helberg's impressions, I was not as amused last night as I thought I would be based on the commercials for this week's episode.

3. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    "Drinks at the pool are on these"!!!!

4. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    The impressions were great, but I had seen/heard them when he was in Studio 60 on Sunset Strip - a tv show about a show similar to SNL. He did his Nicholas Cage there several times.

5. kdonnel

kdonnel DVC-BCV

Nov 28, 2000
    Metro...
    He was on Studio 60? I don't remember.

6. ferrumpneuma

ferrumpneuma fading fast

Jun 1, 2006
    Anhedonia
    He did the same impressions on Conan.

7. jehma

jehma Active Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ
    This.

8. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    There was a show called Studio 60? I don't remember!!

9. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I thought they handled Amy's scene at the end very tastefully. As it was happening I was wondering how they could turn what was a really sad personal moment into something funny and entertaining without cheapening it too much. I think they did that very well. At the time it seemed like 30 seconds, but when I rewatched it, it was only like 3 seconds.

10. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I remembered him and his Nic Cage from S60. As soon as he said that the tree looked like Cage, I knew he was going to bust out his impression.

I don't think he had done any of the other impressions on S60 though. If he did, I don't remember them.

And yes, Virginia, he was on Studio 60. :) His role was fairly small to begin with, and got even smaller (and eventually practically non-existent) as the season progressed.

11. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    He didn't just do a Cage impression on S60. He had a recurring sketch called The Nicolas Cage Show:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_-KnLGjz9M[/media]

12. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I certainly feel bad for Amy, but I don't feel sorry for her, like waynomo suggests, they are doing their best to let this be a path of growth for Sheldon and Amy as a couple, and she's far more advanced in dealing with it than he is, but she's also helping him grow a great deal.

There's no way S1 Sheldon could have done what this Sheldon did, and he is trying to think about her needs over his lately, and I think it's very sweet and adorable.

13. JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002
    As a girl who's been playing D&D for 30+ years, I was offended. ;)

14. Polcamilla

Polcamilla Still up here...

Nov 7, 2001
    30 years?! That's not a quest...that's an exodus!!

15. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Of course the idea that no girls have ever been seen playing D&D is ridiculous.

On the other hand, I was glad to see that when the question came up about whether the girls could play, Sheldon deferred to the DM.

I still remember a DM showing me his stuff in the late 70's, and describing the newbie gamers who would argue with him about stuff in the game: "You can't do that -- that's BOGUS!" Even I (a non-gamer) got how lame that was. It's the DM's world. He is the Creator. If you want to argue with God, you'd better bring a better argument than "that's bogus". ;)

16. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    I don't know anyone who played D&D in high school. I would have loved to have joined in, but I wasn't at all comfortable with my total dorkness at that point. :D

17. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    But if it's a literal exodus only 10 years left to success ;) :D
    (Well less actually since Amy said 30+)

18. Ereth

Ereth Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    I loved him on Studio 60 and kept wondering if they were ever going to let him use any of those. Now they found a way to do it, and I enjoyed them almost as much as Sheldon did.

19. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I didn't laugh at all at the impressions. But it might because I don't know actors that well and have never played D&D. I did recognize some of the impressions.
    I did enjoy the show, especially the kiss through the fence and Sheldon playing virtual schmoozing with Amy. And Amy planning to throw her worn granny panties undergutches on the stage.
    With all the padding that Amy is wearing might she overheat during filming under the stage lights and Sheldon have to tear her cloths off to save her from damage to her Medulla oblongata?

20. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I enjoyed this episode a lot. I don't even have a clue about D&D. Being a middle-aged (ugh) female, I seriously doubt that I'm in their target market, but it was pretty funny all the same. I've never even known ANYBODY who played it, but I suppose that's about my age group.

Loved the impressions. He is really good, although I didn't recognize Walken and didn't know who the last one was.