1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Big Bang Theory [05/03/12] - "The Launch Acceleration"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by ScubaCat, May 4, 2012.

1. May 4, 2012 #1 of 48
    ScubaCat

ScubaCat Shades of Blue......

Jun 26, 2003
    N.E. GA
    Bernadette's father: You go up to that space station and you make me proud.
    Howard: Um, okay.
    Bernadette's father: You got a problem with that?
    Howard: All right, look, I'm going to level with you. I'm terrified about going into space. What if I don't make it back?
    Bernadette's father: It's gonna be okay, son.
    Howard: You really think so?
    Bernadette's father: Of course. A pretty girl like Bernadette ... she'll find a new guy.

So is Howard going or not?

On another subject, Sheldon and Amy are getting weird.

2. May 4, 2012 #2 of 48
    TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    As the 'launch date' is one day after the season finale, I think we might be in for a cliff-hanger as to whether he goes or not. I'm leaning toward him going, despite all his efforts to 'honorably' back out.

Oh, and what do you mean by "getting' weird??? They've ALWAYS been weird. It's been obvious that AFF is looking for a physical relationship and although Sheldon is effectively asexual, he'll do! It's better than the suggestion of a lesbian relationship with Penny, which I don't think would ever happen.

3. May 4, 2012 #3 of 48
    billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    I loved Sheldon's 'Don't Stop' at the end. Classic.

4. May 4, 2012 #4 of 48
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    In fact, I'd say they're headed in the general direction of getting normal.

Not that there's any chance they'll ever get there, but what they're doing now is closer to normal than what they've been doing in the past.

5. May 4, 2012 #5 of 48
    scsiguy72

scsiguy72 OTA Only..Free TV

Nov 25, 2003
    California Guy
    I predict the season will end with Howard on the launch pad as we hear the count down (in Russian) and just as they reach zero...Fade to black

6. May 4, 2012 #6 of 48
    Maui

Maui Major Lee Oblivious

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I thought the Sheldon/Amy scenes were hilarious. The video game mood music, the call back to spaghetti with hot dogs cut up in them. I loved that Sheldon knew what she was doing but was still powerless to resist.

7. May 4, 2012 #7 of 48
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Amy was fetching in the TOS uniform.

8. May 4, 2012 #8 of 48
    busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Now that's just axiomatically false. :)

9. May 4, 2012 #9 of 48
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I think it will be a double-cliff hanger with both Howard and Sheldon "preparing for launch"! IYKWIM.

:)

10. Fleegle

Fleegle Chef-In-Training

Jan 15, 2002
    I would love to see penny and Leonard get married. Penny could love into the guys' apartment and she and Sheldon could drive each other batty.

11. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I guess that is some kind of Freuidian slip but I'm not sure. :eek:

12. getbak

getbak Active Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    That's my guess too.

13. Fleegle

Fleegle Chef-In-Training

Jan 15, 2002
    *move I'm using forumrumner and was autocorrected...

14. oscarfish

oscarfish Member

Mar 1, 2009
    The Penny/Lennard arc could have been on any of the Friends-descendent sitcoms.

As Rob has pointed out, this show has been moving toward "normal" for quite a while now. But every once and while there's an arc that is so good, I'm locked into watching this show for the foreseeable future. The Sheldon/Amy arc this week was just that for me.

15. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I was referring specifically to Sheldon and Amy...

16. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
  17. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    I'd love to see aff and pennie and squeakie all move to another state or country and then just have the best part of the show left - the 4 guys.

18. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    I loved the back and forth between Penny and Leonard at the end with the "are we still dating" etc, etc.

19. Idearat

Idearat New Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    I imagine we'll see Howard go into space. Having him in the rocket during countdown wouldn't be a cliffhanger, which is OK with me. They're not going to pull a Henry Blake on him, having a rocket not make it to the ISS wouldn't fit in a comedy. With Howard up there we could have a few episodes with him phoning home that could make for some fun.

AFF trying for Sheldon is fun. I'm already picturing a shot ala-Graduate, where we see under her leg, only with her skirt so long we can only see Sheldon's lower legs, and he asks "Dr. Fowler. You're trying to seduce me... Aren't you?". Until she succeeds though I still see her making a play for Penny as she's seriously craving physical contact. Attempts on both fronts are still fun to watch.

I really liked the deep voice gas bit with Leonard and Penny. Embracing their playful and geeky sides is when they're good together. I had to look it up: Sulfur Hexafluoride. Leonard mentioned something about using it at work, the closest I could find on Wikipedia was:

SF6 is also commonly encountered as a high voltage dielectric in the high voltage supplies of particle accelerators, such as Van de Graaff generators and Pelletrons and high voltage transmission electron microscopes.​

20. Hank

Hank AC•FTW

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    They've used Sulfur Hexafluoride several times on Mythbusters, and Adam never lets an opportunity go by without inhaling some and talking. Although on the show, I suspect it was also voice-processed.