1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Big Bang Theory [04/05/12] - "The Hawking Excitation"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by ScubaCat, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Apr 6, 2012 #1 of 40
    ScubaCat

ScubaCat Shades of Blue......

Jun 26, 2003
    N.E. GA
    Once again Bernadette gets the best line in the show:

Bernadette: You're being mean to him.
    Howard: He's mean to me all the time. You've heard him tease me about not having a doctorate.
    Bernadette: If you don't want to get teased about that, get a doctorate. I have one; they're great.

2. Apr 6, 2012 #2 of 40
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Meh...not so good IMO. Ep was fine, thought not on par with most BBTs...

3. Apr 6, 2012 #3 of 40
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    The visual image of Sheldon in a french maid outfit was just horribly wrong. Unsee! Unsee!

4. Apr 6, 2012 #4 of 40
    MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Howard having just ONE belt :D Must be a pain to keep changing buckles.

5. Apr 6, 2012 #5 of 40
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I'm weird...when I see a scene like the belt buckle scene, with at least 100 different chrome belt buckles, some poor set designer/set dresser or more likely an intern had to go out and source 100+ chrome belt buckles just for that one gag. (That is, source all the ones they haven't already used on the show).

6. Apr 6, 2012 #6 of 40
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Maybe the gag originated from somebody seeing the box of belt buckles they have for Howard in the costume department... :D

7. Apr 6, 2012 #7 of 40
    Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    Raking leaves
    If you have ever watched a behind the scenes set tour, they already had them.
    Howard even has his own room in the wardrobe department.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyPPIL6-_gk

8. Apr 6, 2012 #8 of 40
    JustAllie

JustAllie Number crunchin'

Jan 4, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    :D That's a lot of effort to avoid being teased by Sheldon -- and let's be honest, Sheldon still wouldn't respect him. Sheldon respects only a handful of people other than himself.

9. Apr 6, 2012 #9 of 40
    Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    More like 80 or so. But shouldn't Sheldon's natural OCD have caused him to arrange them in even rows and columns on the bed? (And then I could have multiplied to get the total)
    They were almost organized, but some odd instances of rows doubling up towards the left side of the bed.

10. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Oh suuuurrrreeeee, that's easy for you to say.
    :p

11. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Actually, I have not really seen Sheldon be picky about things like that. Most of his compulsions are thought out and for his comfort and for his sake of consistency. Things like where he sits, what nights what food is ordered. Most if his issues have to do with feeling (in)secure.

12. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Active Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I saw a little bit of an interview with Johnny Galecki about this episode. Apparently, they offered Stephen Hawking to record his computer statements, so they could just be played at the appropriate time (I guess so he wouldn't have to work so hard), but he refused. He wanted to deliver his lines with his own comedic timing.

13. GameGuru

GameGuru Active Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Dover, OH
    So that really was Stephen Hawking? Ok my question is, how does he tell the voice what to say? I so no movement from him. Is it hard wired into his brain?

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Wikipedia:

For lectures and media appearances, Hawking appears to speak fluently through his synthesiser; however when preparing answers his system produces words at a rate of about one per minute.[31] Hawking's setup uses a predictive text entry system, which requires only the first few characters in order to auto-complete the word, but as he is only able to use his cheek for data entry, constructing complete sentences takes time.[31] During a TED Conference talk, it took him seven minutes to provide a brief answer to a question.[32]

15. AlphaDelta

AlphaDelta Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Ann Arbor, MI
    His computer tracks his eye movements so he looks at buttons on the screen that have letters, words, etc.

I was a little disappointed that the only scene Hawking was in was just with Sheldon. They couldn't have a scene with all of them?

16. Fassade

Fassade New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    Yes, it was him. He has also done ST: TNG, Futurama, and the Simpsons.

Hawking used to control his speech with a button; eventually, he had to switch to a system using twitches in his facial muscles, and they are now researching eye tracking and other options for if/when his condition deteriorates to the point where facial twitches are no longer an option.

17. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    Thought this ep was pretty good. No aff and only one scene with squeaky, so I liked most of it. The last scene was unnecessary.

18. oscarfish

oscarfish Member

Mar 1, 2009
    I just love the fact that gods gift to humanity presented a paper to one of the only people on the planet capable of appreciating his brilliance with an arithmetic error.

19. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Does Hawking have ALS? If he does then he must be the longest living survivor of the disease.

20. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, the time they gave him when he was diagnosed expired decades ago.