1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour on PBS

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by RGM1138, Dec 6, 2012.

1. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I haven't seen this since I was a teenager and it first came out. It's premiering on PBS starting Friday the 14th.

Can't wait.

2. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Must be pledge week. Seems that's when all the musical specials are shown on PBS.

3. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    It's also finally getting a home video release which is probably why it's popping up.

4. dbranco

dbranco Member

Nov 20, 2003
    Thanks for posting!

5. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Thanks for posting. I love this album. I'll definitely check out the movie.

6. kmccbf

kmccbf New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I've seen the movie. Love the music. Won't bother watching the film again. It's kind of like the home movie that you wish would disappear.

7. edc

edc New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Houston
    There's about 20-25 good solid minutes there. It is definitely meandering and amateurish in more than a few spots, but it is also evocative of the era, arguably more "British" than anything else the Beatles attempted, and helped tremendously if you've indulged in some vice before tuning it.

The sequences for "Fool on the Hill", "I Am the Walrus", "Blue Jay Way" and "Your Mother Should Know" are all quite entertaining.

For those looking to compare it to something, it shares a number of features with Monty Python's "The Meaning of Life". Indeed, the inspiration for Mr. Creosote clearly came from this flick...

8. kmccbf

kmccbf New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    True, but they are more music video's than anything else, which is where I bet almost your whole 25 minutes is. I'm not sure it's worth it to suffer through the rest of the film when I can put on the album close my eyes and enjoy.

9. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    They are getting ready to release a DVD version with extras/commentary. I would watch the DVD for the commentaries.

From Rolling Stone:

[​IMG]