1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Assets

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mr.unnatural, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Jan 8, 2014 #1 of 39
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I didn't see any advertisements for this show so it kind of snuck up on me. I don't even recall how I heard about it. It's on Thursday nights on ABC. It's kind of like The Americans, but from our point of view regarding the Cold War. I acquired the first episode via torrents and set up a series recording on my HTPC. If you like espionage thrillers this may be in your wheelhouse.

2. Jan 8, 2014 #2 of 39
    Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I'll give it a bit more time but so far it's a pale imitation of The Americans.

3. Jan 8, 2014 #3 of 39
    gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    I saw plenty of ads, but didn't bother because even from there, it looked like a pale imitation of The Americans. You could see the bad writing & acting in the 2 minutes of preview.

Greg

4. Jan 8, 2014 #4 of 39
    ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Unlike the Americans, The Assets is fact based and adapted from the book written by Sandra Grimes (the agent portrayed in the series). I really didn't think the writing or acting was that bad, but it certainly isn't all that gripping. And clearly ABC doesn't have high hopes for it given their lack of support. Still, I find it interesting and plan on watching the rest of the episodes.

5. Jan 8, 2014 #5 of 39
    TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I thought it was quite good, with the exception of the extremely terrible music (ambiance music - not songs). It feels like a bit less fantastical than the Americans. And, so far, not quite as good but still quite worth watching at this point.

6. Jan 8, 2014 #6 of 39
    loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I'm familiar with the Aldrich Ames story so this was of interest to me. I'll keep watching it even though I know how it will end. ;)

7. Jan 8, 2014 #7 of 39
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    I thought it was decent. Not great, but watchable, and a terrific (true) story that it's based on.

It's a fixed length mini-series, in the true use of the phrase (not like Under The Dumb, which magically changed from a mini-series to a series). And that's good news, because the ratings were so bad, it wouldn't survive a second week were it not for a fixed shelf life anyway.

8. Jan 9, 2014 #8 of 39
    mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I know it got horrible ratings, but I very much enjoyed the first episode and will of course keep watching.

Even though when I really compare her, she does NOT really look like her, but for some reason the main character keeps REMINDING me of Claire Danes.

9. Timbeau

Timbeau Active Member

May 31, 2002
    VT
    It seemed to be not very well done, but I like this kind of show so I'll keep watching for now.

The part with Yurchenko and Ames was horrible but the part with Polyakov was much better. I've always thought of Ames as a steely cold blooded spy since he was able to fool the CIA for so long, who'd have thought he was really a sniveling weasel? :rolleyes:

10. sakura panda

sakura panda Cheeky Monkey TCF Club

Apr 6, 2004
    Southeast...
    I was at home (vacation) the day it premiered, with our local ABC affiliate on the TV most of the morning. Two or three of the morning talk shows interviewed the author/agent that wrote the book and my local news talked about it too. By late morning I decided to set up a recording for it.

I haven't watched it yet -- since it's a mini-series and I have a backlog of shows that I've been neglecting, I figure I can let this one build up for a few weeks before I start it. I've never seen The Americans so I expect I will enjoy it more than the rest of you seem to be. :D

11. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
  12. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Keep your SP (and move it to the top).. I BET they run them in the summer..

13. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Wow, the British Invasion is in full force.

Ames, his interrogation partner, the woman chasing him, her husband, and her assistant, all Brits.

14. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    It wasOK but I am not going to wait for them to burn up the episodes in the summer

15. TriBruin

TriBruin Active Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    Disappointed that this has been cancelled. It was not great by any stretch, but I wanted to see the whole story. I may pick up the book it was based on.

Hopefully ABC will put it up for streaming.

16. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    The networks tend to air any canceled shows that already have episodes produced at the end of the season or during the summer. It's rare that they simply do not air episodes they've already paid for.

17. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    I would like to see the end also It will only appeal to people in there 50's and 60's + since we were old enough to understand what was going on back them.

18. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    {Banging my head against the wall} I really need to stop making predictions where the networks are involved.

It's not like we didn't know it, but geez, screw the customer, let's go after a few marginally higher ratings points. They're going to show a Shark Tank repeat instead of this? They couldn't just let this run out its course?

I'm with sieglinde. I would watch this as a miniseries now, but have no desire to wait months to see it finally aired.

19. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    WTF! :mad:

How will I ever know if he gets caught? ;)

And they are going to air reruns of Shark Tank? Gimme a freakin' break.

20. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Wow, I missed this. I had no idea about it. Definitely in my wheelhouse. So I might have to seek it out.