1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Apprentice S12E10 "Winning by a Nose" 22 Apriil 2012

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Amnesia, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Wow---so much I didn't agree with in this episode.

First of all, I never understood the rationale behind firing someone who came up with an idea that the execs didn't like. Trump does this all the time. Yes, the person came up with an idea that was disliked, but no one came up with a "better" one. And the PM approved it.

Now, if you want to criticize someone for something they did---or how they did it---that's a different story. To me, it makes much more sense to fire Teresa for bad puppeteering than it does to fire someone for an unpopular idea.

All that aside, I don't see what's so bad (or "pompous") about the slogan "You've earned it". I think it's great. To me, success is something you have to earn. Trump earned his way to his wealth. He's successful. Compare him with someone who might also be rich (say a lottery winner) and there's no question that one earned his success and the other did not.

2. plateau10

plateau10 New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Not to mention that if it is pompous, how could that possibly be considered anything but a perfect match? :D

3. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    I thought it was funny that the guy with the gold house thought "You earned it" was pompous. I also didn't get how "Go with your instict" tied in any way to cologne.

4. Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    I was strangely drawn to Aubrey's wine colored dress during the cutaway interviews. :)

Arsenio: 'Heres the bigger problem I got two women, ones damn near genius, the other's damn near not.'

Dayana : 'I hope she's not trying to bust my peanuts' :)

I'd been okay with either team winning this round, both did very average work. Donald should've called it a tie and two go next week.

5. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Actually, Donald Trump didn't earn his fortune either. He inherited from his father who was a self-made success. Donald Trump promptly blew his inheritance and had to get loans from his siblings to start restart his business.

Penn put it best with his analogy about the rules of chess. You cannot apply reason to who should be fired. The only reason that matters is Donald Trump's.

6. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    So you're saying that his fortune was not based on an inheritance, but rather on money that he borrowed. Sounds like he earned it to me.

7. 2004raptor

2004raptor time to emancipate

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    Random comment - When Trump saw Lisa's reaction to the other teams presentation, he asked her about it and she said she loved it. I'm kinda surprised he didn't ask her if she liked it more than theirs like he did Lou. :D

And I was thinking Aubrey did come up with the slogan but Arsenio found out where Trump had said it online?? But I didn't bother to rewatch so I may be wrong.

And who was it that was talking when Trump slammed his hand on the table? Wow, completely rude!!!! :thumbsdown:

Hated to see Penn go. Really was hoping he would go to the finals.

8. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    He inherited a fortune and lost it. He then borrowed another fortune. Inheriting and borrowing do not equal earning.

Please do not edit my posts when you quote me.

9. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    And what about Donald Jr., Eric & Ivanka? Those are some shining examples of successful people who didn't earn it.

But I agreed with Penn's idea. And I think he has been ready to go for the past several weeks. Good on him. :up:

LOL! She is just so adorable. <3

10. wendiness1

wendiness1 WiiMomma

Jul 29, 2005
    Idunno
    Penn made some observation about not firing the idea person. I think he was absolutely right. Even if the idea may not catch, you don't want to punish the person willing to toss out ideas - or you end up with a lot of silence.

11. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    Aubrey did say it before Arsenio showed it to her on the computer, I think he had found it at about the same time and when she said it he said here look and showed the quote. He was wrong in saying she didn't come up with it.

I'm wondering if Penns schedule made it easy to vote him out.

12. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    Raking leaves
    Penn checked out a long time ago.
    If he cared enough to fight he could have stayed, but for him I feel as if the entire experience was some sort of social experiment. He was right in the car- Trump fires whomever Trump wants to fire and this was as good a reason as any.

Now- the thing about Clay's team not having any take-aways or samples- someone found this which I found a tad interesting. I don't remember this ever coming up?

[​IMG]

13. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Yeah, I saw those and during the soooo awkward time when the execs told Clay to "go on...." I was mentally willing him to hand those samples out.

I'm glad Clay survived. Penn acquitted himself well.

14. Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    Aubrey team's samples had logo's on it - vs. the generic ones that Clay used.

15. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Like their father, born on third and think they hit a triple.

16. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    If he lost his inherited fortune, then he was in no different position than any other person who did not inherit a fortune (that is---he had nothing). If he was able to borrow money and turn it into another fortune, that seems like the very definition of success to me.

I certainly hope you're kidding. The use of the '[' and ']' characters are a standard way to denote quote edits. There was also a link to your original post. I only quoted the parts on which I wanted to comment. (Just like I did here.)

To me, the idea of a "successful person who didn't earn it" is oxymoronic. If you didn't earn it, then you're not a success. You might be rich or famous, but not successful.

I don't know that much about Don Jr or Eric, but Ivanka certainly seems like a success to me. Yes, of course she got a big leg up due to her last name, but she didn't just sit at home eating bon-bons---she went to Wharton, she worked for another development company, designed a jewelry line, etc...

17. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    So you're saying that the Donald's Daddy's last name didn't help him, but the Donald's last name helped his daughter. Can you connect those dots?

So, you're saying that a no-name nobody from nowheresville who creates a fortune out of nothing is "in no different position than" a famous-named high society Donald Trump with all the high society connections? I'm not seeing your logic there. Sure, if Trump lost a fortune and worked to get it back, then he earned it, but he had a huge (or as the Donald would say, "uuuge!") leg up due to his last name.

18. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    I think the key difference is that they don't want to give the impression you have to "earn it" they want you to be able to buy their product which then somehow "makes" you (or helps) successful.

19. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Sure. I think Donald Trump --- the Donald -- is much (, much) more famous than his father ever was. He made "Trump" a household name. That's why the Trump name is a bigger leg up for his daughter than it was for him.

And again: I do think Ivanka is a success. But I think it's a lot easier to successfully design/launch a line of Ivanka Trump jewelry when everyone in America has heard the name "Trump".

20. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    Did she really start a jewelry line or is she getting paid for someone attaching her name to a line? It's like saying Paris Hilton started a Perfume line.