1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Amazing Race 10 9/24 (Spoilers?)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by gossamer88, Sep 24, 2006.

1. gossamer88

gossamer88 HDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    I love my wife, but. . .I could never do this race with a woman. They're too emotional. On the flip side, are there any ladies out there that would rather have along another woman than a man? I'd like to hear.

BTW, why are the straight couples "dating" and the gay couple "boyfriends"?
  2. markz

markz Hilarity Ensues

Oct 22, 2002
    I am a little over halfway through so far, but here are some observations:

The teams all seem to get along and like each other. Some teams have even helped other teams when possible.

Even though a couple of the women have been on the verge of breakdown, their men are being overbearing and not helping the situation any.

Lots of vehicle problems. Note to self: never buy a Russian military jeep.

Those oxen-like animals are crazy. Never buy one of those either! :)

The woman with the prosthetic foot sure is a tough competitor. How many interchangable feet is she packing? What happens if they are last at a non-elimination leg? Would she lose her spare feet?

There sure are a lot of native western English speaking people living in Mongolia.
  3. markz

markz Hilarity Ensues

Oct 22, 2002
    I could most definitely do this race with my wife. She would be an excellent partner.

As far as "dating" vs "boyfriends", maybe it had something to do with how they described themselves when tey applied to be on the show.
  4. Animgif

Animgif Stud, Esquire

Jan 4, 2002
    The City So...
    That was a great episode...favorite quotes:

Kentucky Lady: (paraphrased) "We've never really been around gay people"
    Flash to gays being gays
    Back to Kentucky: "But I LIKE them =)"

And Phil doing a bad New York Jew accent ;) Cracked me up.

I watched both of those scenes like 8 times.

Oh, and I'm VERY glad Alabama or Mississippi (can't remember which) couple didn't get eliminated. I like them a lot =)
  5. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    That runaway animal (what was it??) that Peter & Sarah had was hilarious. I had to rewind that more than a couple of times. "Noooo!" The way it charged and then the water jugs fell off of the cart (one kind of breaking up on impact).... that really cracked me up for some reason.
  6. vman

vman New Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Vienna, VA
    Can someone let us know what happened the last 15 minutes? We didn't have extra time, and the football games ran long. The AR website doesn't have it posted yet!
  7. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Team Deliverance is growing on me. They are a lock for my favorite team if HE keeps his mouth shut and lets her do all the talking.
    I think I can count on one hand the number of times I have told my wife to "shut up" in 15 years of marriage. I too commented on all the westerners who seemed to be in mongolia extradition laws? :p
  8. debtoine

debtoine WTTWDC

May 17, 2001
    I made the same comment to Toine. I couldn't believe how many people they found who weren't Mongolian and spoke fluent English to help them out. Those people seemed to know the directions too....interesting. They must've been in an area with Western companies or military bases or something.

It was just too coincidental for me.

I was sorta disappointed to see the cheerleaders go. They so easily scaled that wall last week, that I figured they'd be a force to reckon with in some of the physical challenges, even though the one didn't do well with the bow/arrow. Although, I'm not sure how well I'd have done at night either. It didn't appear that her target was in a lighted area so she could better aim; I might have to go rewind and see if I can tell.

Oh, and when I told Toine they were in Mongolia, he said, "Mmmmmm, Mongolian barbecue." I said, "Nah, there they just call it barbecue." :)

9. katbug

katbug Tivo Junkie

Oct 2, 2003
    N. AZ
    Ok, I admit that "team deliverance" is growing on me a little more this episode than last. Btw, if my hubby ever said the words "Shut up" or anything close to it, well...we won't even go there. Anyway, they were much more likable this time, whereas "Team Tom and Jerry" irritated me even more. Other than that, I think everyone else was reasonably whiny/frustrated this time around, so they didn't annoy me as much. Was kinda hoping for the single moms to go since they seemed to quick to judge the other teams harshly and haven't seemed like very nice people from the start.
  10. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm a NY Jew and I didnt' catch Phil trying to imitate one of me!! When was that?
  11. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Another trend I've noticed. This year's crop of teams seems to be much too self centered this early in the race. How hard would it have been to loan someone your jack and sit for the what 10 minutes it may take to change a tire. I don't see ANY alliances happening this season.
  12. InterMurph

InterMurph New Member

May 22, 2003
    Gloucester, MA
    So did the cheerleaders set the Amazing Race record for "most times lost in a single episode?"

And what's with Cletus & Brandine getting a new car after their became "inoperable"? Their car was functioning just fine; the engine was turning, and power was being delivered to the drive train. If they get a new car, then shouldn't [Kar]Lyn also get one, because their car wouldn't even start?

And I loved the a-hole's "apology" in the car: "I wasn't yelling at you, like you thought; I was just speaking to you in a very loud and abusive manner because I was trying to get your attention. You understand, right?"
  13. scottykempf

scottykempf New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Duke: "I can accept gays and lesbians, but when it's my daughter, you think of it a little differently." Huh??

So Kellie and Jamie leave the Pit Stop at 9:56pm, next is Erwin and Godwin at 7:02pm? Did I miss something here???

David and Mary (in a whisper): "Honest to goodness, we never been around....gay people, but buddy, I like em!!"

Dustin and Kandice, in bus station: "We gotta do this conspicously." Don't you mean IN-conspicously???

Tyler and James: In the real world, it is nice when people stop to help you out. On the race, don't be surprised when other teams DON'T stop to help you out.

Rob and Kimberly: Trying to give Tyler and James your jack is nice, but a) You let them use it and wait while they change their tire, costing you time, or b) Give it to them and keep going, which means you have no jack if you get a flat.

How funny was it when it turned out that their jack WASN'T broken??

Wow, nasty fall and drag on that horse for one of the girls.

Added to list of things people should know when going on TAR: How to crank start a car. (Or at least roll start a stick-shift!!)

Phil at Pit Stop: "Did you imagine that you would be two legs (ohhhh ouch Phil!!!) into the race and be first?"

How hard would it be for Kellie and Jamie to hit the target in the dark?
  14. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I thought the rule on getting a replacement car was it your car was inoperable "due to no fault of your own". Getting stuck in the mud was certainly their fault and not the cars fault.
  15. scottykempf

scottykempf New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    The name of this show is The Amazing Race. How many times on the Tour de France have you seen Lance Armstrong pull over and help another rider change his tire? How many times have you seen Nascar drivers pull over and let another driver use their jack? NEVER!
  16. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Multi-year Veteran

Feb 8, 2002
    There wasn't anything wrong with the male models' jack. Had they known to turn the hydraulic valve screw back to closed, they would have had the jeep jacked up in just a few minutes.

The single moms never should have been chosen for the show, in my opinion. They're sullen, unenthusiastic, almost annoyed by the requirements put on them by the race. Jeez, if you don't want to be there, why'd you apply? Hopefully they'll be gone soon.

What, no money for the dancing gimpy girl? :p Asking for money for her little show for the Chinese guys was pretty pathetic.
  17. LeVich34

LeVich34 Active Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Annandale, VA
    At risk of starting another Rob and Amber flame war, weren't they chastised on this very board (as well as on the race) for failing to stop and help another team whose car had broken down? *ducks and runs*
  18. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Active Member

Sep 13, 2005

" Ullrich crashed but without apparent injury in the fast ride down the Col de Peyresourde mountain pass, the fourth climb of the day.

Leading Armstrong by several yards, he missed a bend to the left and rode straight ahead, passing behind a safety barrier and down a steep embankment. His rear wheel upended and he disappeared from sight.

He emerged seconds later, carrying his bike over his shoulder, and immediately resumed racing.

"I was going down at about 50 mph and my brakes weren't working that well," Ullrich said.

He caught Armstrong a few minutes later and the two spoke briefly.

"I asked him if he was OK," said Armstrong, who slowed to allow Ullrich to catch up. "It looked like a bad crash. I decided that the correct thing to do was to wait."

19. David Platt

David Platt !Texas TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    That seemed pretty self-eplanatory to me. He generally thinks that he doesn't have a problem accepting gays and lesbians, but it hit a little too close to home when his daughter came out.
  20. Lee L

Lee L Got Basenji?

Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC
    I can;t beleive they could not figure out the bleeder screw on the jack, but, I tend to not realize that most people are not that mechanically inclined and have probably never used something like that. It just seems like they wouls see the littel bleeder screw with threads sticking out and try to turn it.

I also wondered about the jeep being incapcitated, they drove into teh mud so I can't see how that is not their fault.