1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The _____ show(s) of all time

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by terpfan1980, Apr 18, 2012.

1. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    Yeah, yeah, I know there was (ages ago) a thread about The 100 Best TV Shows of All Time, and this is in some ways similar to that, but then again, well, no...

What I'm hoping to see here is your own opinions of the ______ show(s) of all times where you fill in the blank with {best}, {worst}, {favorites} or whatever you'd like.

We all know there are some shows that will live among the best loved of all times (M*A*S*H, Seinfeld, Friends, Lost, Firefly for some, etc.) but there's also been some shows that you might have thought were the absolute worst of all time even as some others might have actually liked those shows or disliked the shows you enjoyed.

So, fill in the blank and list a few of the shows that might be among the best you think you ever saw, or the worst you were ever exposed to (or think were ever produced if you never watched them).

2. BradJW

BradJW Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Houston
    Best and Worst -

Alias.

Season one was phenomenal TV.

Season 3 or 4 with Happy Fun Zombie Ball was NOT good TV. I couldn't even finish watching because it got so bad.

3. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    Ooooh, good choice, and reminds me of one that could be on the list.

You make me think of Heroes since I could pretty much just change the show title but say the same basic things about that show...

It started off so well in the beginning of its first season, but sadly it fell apart at the end of that season and seemingly never recovered. The first several episodes (roughly all but the last 2 or 3 of the first season) were really, really good. Those last 2 or 3 seemed to show that the writers/network couldn't figure out how to get out of the box they had originally put themselves in without doing something incredibly stupid and so, well, they just went with stupid and lazy.

4. Lori

Lori Social Defective TCF Club

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    Best.

Buffy
    Veronica Mars
    Firefly
    Angel
    Sports Night

with honorable mention to:
    The West Wing, Battlestar Galactica (reboot), The Mary Tyler Moore Show, ER, Friends, MASH, I Love Lucy, Hill Street Blues, The Dick Van Dyke Show, the Sopranos, All in the Family, Moonlighting, the Cosby Show and Family Ties.

Most mediocre show that is going to appear on a crap ton of 'best' lists: Seinfeld.

5. BradJW

BradJW Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Houston
    Yep. Loved season 1. I think I only watched 2 or 3 episodes of Season 2 of Heroes. Shame. That show had such promise.

6. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Best:

The Wire
    Arrested Development

Worst:

The Secret Diary of Desmond Pfeiffer

7. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Best comedy that most people didn't watch or even knew existed and was so freaking awesome

Better Off Ted

8. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Law & Order was definitely one of the _______ shows of all time.

9. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    One of the best for me would have to be Deadwood. I'm still angry/upset that it never got the closure that was promised. Some might toss the show John From Cincinnati in as one of the all-time worst, but I suspect that might have something to do with the fact that JFC could be seen as a big part of the reason Deadwood remains unfinished.

Lori's choice of Buffy is a good one for an all-time best list. I was late to the party (started watching that during its last few seasons) but enjoyed it quite a bit and was blown away by the quality. That later led me to watching Firefly and that truly ranks up there for me.

Lori also listed Sports Night and that is another one that I could easily put on an all-time best list. Aaron Sorkin probably has a lot to do with that ;) (but the cast was also very talented and seemed to all fit together incredibly well also, making it that much easier to enjoy). That later led me to the short-lived but still very good Studio 60.

WKRP in Cincinnati would be on my list of all-time best comedies, along with Married with Children. Both of those had some of the funniest TV programming I think I've ever encountered.

I'm working on what I might toss out as worst choices. Fear Factor would be up there, but I think the top of that list would find Jersey Shore somewhere close.

10. Jayjoans

Jayjoans New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    CA
    I'm not sure if it was a 'best', but periodically my wife and I have fond memories of "Wiseguy". I'm horrified to find that Ken Wahl has since married one of those creepy Barbi twins.

11. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze On my best behaviour

Nov 1, 2002
    La Cheeserie
    Homicide (Life on the Streets).

12. steverm2

steverm2 New Member

May 9, 2005
    cape cod,ma
    Best comedies:barney miller,taxi,wkrp in cincinnati,married with children,the simpsons,21/2 men b4 jake grew up and charlie,well,turned into ashton kucher

13. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
  14. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Best show that never got the respect it deserved...Boomtown.

15. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hmm... I have a list of "best shows..." but if I had to pick a single one, it would have to be one that had a significant run (3 seasons or more) with very little fall-off in quality throughout the entire run of the show.

I think all of my best shows fail one of these two rules, though. Buffy had a significant fall-off during seasons 6 and 7; Sports Night was only two short seasons, as was Better Off Ted. Alias was excellent the first season and a half, then quality fell through the floor. Firefly was only a half season long. Veronica Mars comes closest, but the quality fell off a little during season 3. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine started off a little weak, but quickly became a solid series the rest of the way.

If I drop the rule that it had to be on the air for 3 seasons, I'd probably go with Better Off Ted for comedy, and Firefly for drama, and Firefly for overall best show.

16. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh, yeah, worst? I'd have to give that one to "Torchwood: Miracle Day." A US spinoff series of a BBC show that ended up being an utter abject failure, and a complete destruction of what had been a rather cool little UK series. Bonus (negative) points because it was the total antithesis of "Children of Earth," which was arguably the strongest that the Torchwood franchise had ever been.

17. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Not sure I agree with that. The first season was great, with the non-traditional storytelling method (Rashomon). But when it was renewed for S2, the network made them get rid of that "feature," and then it became clear that there wasn't much substance to the show outside of that storytelling gimmick. In S2, the show was pretty much just a standard law enforcement procedural.

18. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Right, made the show change its DNA. No respect for what made it great. It's not a "gimmick" if it's effective and compelling.

And I thought the characters were strong too. Great show.

19. wendiness1

wendiness1 WiiMomma

Jul 29, 2005
    Idunno
    Boston Legal - one of the best.

20. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming
    Best Comedy, MASH, honorable mention All in the Family
    Best Drama, NYPD blue, honorable mention Blue Bloods
    Best reality, The Amazing race, honorable mention survivor

Worst comedy, Seinfeld (kinda funny that my whole extended family disliked it)
    Worst drama, CSI Miami