1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THD RS corrected/uncorrected errors

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by djl25, Jun 10, 2012.

1. djl25

djl25 C64 hacker

May 26, 2005
    Providence, RI
    I have a Tivo HD on Cox (Rhode Island). I have a problem with some channels accumulating RS errors in the tens of thousands. If one of these channels is buffering, the tuner eventually 'freezes' and just sits on a grey screen until I change channels. This only happens on higher-frequency channels, however; seems to be above 650MHZ or so. Channels in the 400's, for example, are fine. It happens with both tuners, so I know it's not that one of them is bad. Also, I recently upgraded the hard drive and power supply so those are both fine as well. The thing I was wondering about, is that Cox is now using tuning adapters in our area but I haven't gotten one yet. Could that be the cause?

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    A tuning adapter will have negligible effect on this problem. You have signal problems. What are the SNR and Signal Strength numbers (listed right by the RS Error numbers you're looking at)? Compare them for the "good" and "bad" channels. Signsl Strengths should be above 75 and SNR should be above 32 dB. Bad splitters or cable runs can cause such problems. Other than that, the cable co would have to address the signal problems.