1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Temporarily run VZ boxes and Roamio on same network?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by miketx, Apr 6, 2014.

1. miketx

miketx New Member

Sep 22, 2005
    Just curious.....could I run a new Roamio on the same MoCA network as my current VZ Fios DVR/boxes? I can't think of why I couldn't. This way I could finish watching whatever is recorded on my VZ DVR, while the new Roamio starts recording anything after that. Then pull the plug on the VZ boxes a few days later.

2. BruceShultes

BruceShultes New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Albany, NY
    I still occasionally look at my Verizon DVR instead of my Roamio, but I have them all connected via Ethernet, not Moca.

I don't see why Moca would be any different.

3. lcrowe

lcrowe New Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Wylie, TX
    When I made the switch from the FIOS Multi-room DVR / STB combo to the Roamio Pro and 3 Minis I knew that one of my goals was to get away from the Verizon router so I disable the MOCA on the Actiontec and enabled it on my Roamio and to my surprise both the Verizon DVR /STBs and the Roamio / Minis both worked without problems. As soon as I had watched the stuff on the Verizon DVR I wanted to watch I simply unplugged the Verizon boxes and returned them the the FIOS store.

4. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    There should be no reason why you couldn't use both systems on the same network indefinitely, except for bandwidth, but that would be a problem based on how many things you were trying to watch and would impact you if they were all TiVos. So, I wouldn't worry about it.

5. GmanTiVo

GmanTiVo give me more options

Mar 8, 2003
    Ridgewood, NJ
    They play nice together on MoCa, ethernet and combo.

* original conf. VZ FIOS Actiontec MI424WR rev I GigE, 3 FIOS DVRs & 1 STB, on the Actiontec router's MoCa and 1 Series 3 HD on Ethernet

I installed my Roamio Pro 1st, ran through all the set-ups, enabled MoCa network then 1 at a time swapped out FIOS boxes and replaced with Minis.

I did have to reboot the VZ router after the 2nd and 3rd Mini installation and wait 30 min. for a fianl reboot and re-enable MoCa Network on the Roamio Pro but all worked together and are/were seen in "My Network" screen when accessing the router's admin function screen (browser address 192.168.1.1 from a PC on the network).

Takes a while to swap 1 at a time but it worked fine for me. Not sure what happens if you do them all at the same time.

Gman

6. miketx

miketx New Member

Sep 22, 2005
    So lcrowe and Gman......why did you want to get away from the Actiontec router? I've had no problems with it....so I see no need to have my Roamio provide the MoCA network (versus the Actiontec). Just curious.

I am running both systems now.....but the only thing left from Vz is the DVR....all the STBs have been unplugged and I have Minis running in their place.

Didn't realize how much I missed Tivo (still have a lifetime Humax DVD unit sitting in my closet).

7. GmanTiVo

GmanTiVo give me more options

Mar 8, 2003
    Ridgewood, NJ
    my answer is simple, I don't know what possesed me to do it, when I saw the Setup MoCa Network I just clicked on it and said to myself, why not let the Roamio do the MoCa since only Minis would be on the network, sort of keep it all in the family :p

ps, I sold my S3 but for a couple of days it was networked via LAN to the Actiontec router and the Roamio & Minis had no problem seeing it, I even transferred approx 120 HD shows over to the Roamio.

8. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    I have 2 TiVo.s and a FiOS 7232, a Galaxy S4, a i5 and an ASUS TF300 all on the same network, all can run at the same time with no issues. With 50/25 internet from Verizon.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk