1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TeleWorld

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ajwees41, Apr 22, 2013.

1. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    Does Tivo still use the Teleword paid program for downloading info? I don't see it listed in the onscreen guide.

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yes. You might be able to find it using Search by Title under the Find Programs menu.

3. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    I did that still not listed.

4. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
  5. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    To be clear, AFAICT, they only use it for Showcase ad video nowadays, not guide data. Regardless, if you have an Internet connection for your TiVo, or even just a phone connection, you'll get your guide data.

6. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    they were listed on both channels last week, but not this week. How does Tivo get channel lineup changes via the guide data download or the TeleWorld program?

7. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Via the guide data download.

8. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    This seems almost pointless these days. Does this really save Tivo any money?

9. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Compared to a zillion (comparatively) separate Tivos downloading a video file over a possibly slow network? Seems to me it probably saves them TONS of money. I know it's not national, and was from a VERY long time ago, but someone told me that late night local commercials are VERY cheap.. in the TENS of dollars.

10. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    They should sell a certain pill late at night. ;)

11. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I had no idea it was that cheap. If that is the case, this is probably a much better option.

12. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Well, again, this was literally a decade or two ago, and it was for a local (short) commercial, not a national infomercial.. But still, I would think that the infomercials on those cable channels in the middle of the night are comparatively cheap.

13. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    in my area they do on local tv paid programs lol

14. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Active Member

Mar 14, 2010
    As CoxInPHX says, and only Showcases. However, I noticed that TiVo (Teleworld Paid Programmng) only airs for a 30 minute block, not the 1 hour it used to. Further, it seems TiVo has very little Showcase material these days as the full content is complete in about 6-10 minutes. Then they will repeat it. Then run the TiVo info videos. Then repeat the same Showcase content again. Some Showcase content is repeated THREE times in the 30 minutes. In other words, they are filling up the 30 minute block with far more repeating of the same material aired just 5 minutes ago along with running almost ANY sort of filler like TiVo how to videos more than they ever used to. It is a good questions to consider how much longer TiVo will continue with this method of delivery. Actually, servers are cheaper, but a fair number of broadband impaired TiVo owners would not get the Showcases and that would affect how much TiVo charges advertisers access to their TiVo subscribers.