1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TED Talks on XL?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by markp99, May 22, 2012.

1. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi

Mar 21, 2002
    Anyone able to get TED Talks working on their XL devices?

I tried the following rss video link:

Complained about incompatible video format.

Any ideas?
  2. mattack

mattack New Member

Apr 9, 2001
    They used to be in the regular video podcasts link.. but yeah, there is some issue about the video format.. (There was previous discussion in the S3 forum IIRC..)

Send them feedback.. Supposedly they were working on it (this was months ago at least).
  3. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi

Mar 21, 2002
    Format should be H.264 compliant, correct?

I did find some of the talks on HuluPlus, so I suppose that will work in the meantime.
  4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    It's more restrictive then that. Not only does it need to be H.264 it has to be in an MP4 container with the MOOV atom at the start of the file. That last part is important because when you encode an MP4 file the MOOV atom is typically put at the end because it contains information that you don't know until after the file has been completely encoded. So to move the MOOV atom to the start you basically have to rearrange the file after it's been recoded, which is an extra step most people don't take. The reason TiVo needs it at the start is because the MOOV atom also contains information that is necessary to decode and play the file. And with network streaming you don't have random access to the file like you would on a PC so you can't simply seek to the end and read it. They'd have to wait for the complete file to transfer which messes up the TiVo's ability to start watching the podcast immediately. Basically MP4 was not really designed with streaming in mind so you have to take special steps to make it work that way.

5. WorldBandRadio

WorldBandRadio New Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Here's a link to the message with the feedback URL.