1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teach me about Dr Who

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Ereth, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Ereth

Ereth Active Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Ok, so I've ignored Dr Who for most of my life. I tried to watch it on PBS in the 1970s when it was first being imported and it was simply too cheesy for my tastes. Now, 40 years later, it seems like it would be impossible to find a decent jumping on point.

And yet.. at this years Hugos there were no less than THREE episodes nominated for a Hugo. Three. That's a very impressive statistic, and indicates that this is a much better show than the cardboard thing I saw way back when. And I love Steven Moffats writing on other things.

So.... is there a jumping on point for someone who really didn't like the early stuff? Is there a legitimate way to watch these episodes from this jumping on point (Netflix, Hulu, whatever)?

What can you tell a Dr Who novice?
  2. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Go back to the 2005 season - Christopher Ecclestone's Doctor. It's effectively the relaunch of the franchise.

It's available on Netflix.
  3. debtoine

debtoine WTTWDC

May 17, 2001
    I was the same way, and worked my way through the Doctor Who (2005) seasons. I think that's a good place to start. They are available on Netflix, I believe.

4. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    I concur with Tony. I started fresh with the 2005 season, had absolutely no knowledge of the "original series," and I was fine.
  5. MonsterJoe

MonsterJoe ♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪

Feb 19, 2003
    It's still cheesy in that BBC Sci-Fi way that some people seem to enjoy.
  6. marrone

marrone Phased Member

Oct 11, 2001
    I'll concur as well. I tried to watch some of the old episodes, but it was rather painful.

The new series seems to be a great launching point, and Netflix has it all. I don't feel like I missed a whole lot.
    Maybe I'll watch some more of the old stuff eventually, but my tv time is very limited.

It's definitely less cheesy. Has its moments, but overall it's not too cheesy. Jump in and enjoy!

7. Swirl_Junkie

Swirl_Junkie New Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Is there anything that would be too risque or ultra violent for an 11 yr old? I've been meaning to start watching with my kid, and this thread reminded me. He's ok with scary, and he plays mild first person shooters.
  8. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    I too saw a few episodes of the 70's version as a kid. That pretty much killed ANY desire I have to revisit that character, no matter who has played him since.
  9. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Active Member

Dec 6, 2004
    The new series ? I don't think so.

That makes zero sense since it's essentially a new and outstanding show with far more depth than the original.
  10. Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    The new show and the old show are very different from a production value standpoint.
    Watch the episode "Blink" which is from season 3 of the new series episode 10 (actually listed as 11 on Netflix) and if you don't like that one you can skip the rest. It's a stand alone episode so you should be able to watch it without seeing what's come before it. It's definitely one of the best that the new series has to offer.
  11. Hoffer

Hoffer Captain Chaos TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    I like British comedies and drama, but do not like their Sci-Fi. I tried to watch the first season with Matt Smith and I did not like the cheese. I also tried Torchwood and that was the same. Yes I realize it was a spinoff or something.
  12. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Active Member

Feb 12, 2002
    Some of the 'cheesier' moments have to do with the classic characters (like the Daleks) where the show is a bit stuck with the original design to the alien creatures (like the Sontarans). But the story lines, for the most part, aren't too cheesy (well, maybe the Adipose was cheesy).
    It's Alfer. He isn't happy unless he puts down something that he doesn't like. The new series have been great (well, not a big fan of Matt Smith). There are some great episodes that he has missed due to his stubbornnes. Blink is an awesome episode and is a great place to get the 'feel' of Doctor Who without having to know any backstory.
  13. bruab

bruab Shmegistrd Schmoozer

Nov 16, 2001
    Is he lactose intolerant? :D
  14. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Active Member

Feb 12, 2002
    Go back to Christopher Eccleston or David Tennant. They were great Doctors. Matt Smith just couldn't fill their shoes.
  15. stark

stark New Member

Dec 31, 2003
    He should be fine. There are some "spooky" episodes, but nothing risque or really violent.
  16. MonsterJoe

MonsterJoe ♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪

Feb 19, 2003
    I'm don't like or dislike the show - so from a completely objective POV, yes - it is. :)

Not /quite/ as cheesy as the old one, but BBC Sci-Fi cheesy, for sure.

Now - people like that, I get that...and that's fine...I wasn't making a judgement either way. Just saying it's got the same general mouth-feel.
  17. Swirl_Junkie

Swirl_Junkie New Member

Mar 11, 2001
    No, but I am.
  18. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    I'm not sure how the word cheesy is being used here.
  19. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    I think this is absolutely not true. I would put Smith head and shoulders above Tennant as a performer on this show. Tennant was certainly likable, but I think he was a lightweight.

I think the writing has been more hit-and-miss on Smith's run, however.

And anybody who compares the cheese factor of the new series to the old show is on drugs!
  20. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Either this:

Or this:

Disclaimer: I started with Eccleston, but unlike Loadstar, I had enough previous exposure to Doctor Who via fandom and having laid eyes on previous Doctors that I knew the major bits (what the Daleks were, who the Cybermen were, what the Tardis is, etc.).

I liked "Blink" and other Moffat episodes that he wrote under the Davies regime, but I don't like him as a show runner. That is, while I prefer Tennant and Eccleston as Doctors, my problem is not with Matt Smith so much as what he has been asked to do. I prefer more character-driven stories instead of insane puzzly-stuff.