1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Synology DS112

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by sabottx, Mar 23, 2013.

1. sabottx

sabottx New Member

Mar 2, 2013

I am new to Tivo and NAS in general... Purchased both a few weeks ago...

Purchased both but not originally to work with one another... Tivo to explore the service and the Synology DS112 as a stand alone file backup for all of my family's files and photos.

I am now at the point of wondering if I can connect my DS112 with my Tivo.

Since my DS112 stays powered on 24/7 and my computer only when I using it... I would like have the Tivo content moved to the DS112 instead of my computer. Likewise... I would like to move content from my computer to the DS112 and then to the Tivo...

Any suggestions for the newbee?

Many thanks in advance!

2. vectorcatch

vectorcatch New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    The NAS has a python package that you can download through the package center. Then with a little work, you can get pyTiVo working on it and share videos to and from the TiVo.
  3. sabottx

sabottx New Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Thank you for your quick reply!

Is there any easier way or product available for a newbee like myself? I looked at pyTiVo but it's beyond my understanding at the current time.
  4. txporter

txporter One sec, almost done

Sep 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    There is no "easy" way to bridge synology to Tivo. I run pytivo on my Synology DS111. The setup isn't really that bad. The most trouble I had was getting it to start up on the synology at boot.

If you have any devices that support DLNA (TV or bluray or roku or similar), then you can probably use the synology media streamer or Plex or Serviio to stream content. I have used Plex and Serviio to my panasonic TV and a roku. You cannot transcode video with your synology (nor mine). They just don't have the power needed for it.
  5. Slamzee

Slamzee New Member

Aug 25, 2013
    I installed pytivo using a package at synologycommunites, it runs, but complains about missing pytivo.conf, which is right in the application folder. I have edited it and add the proper info (I hope).

Any ideas?

My TiVo does not see the MyMovies either. I've used pytivo on my windows machine before, and am now try to set it up on my DS214.
  6. snoopy123123

snoopy123123 New Member

May 12, 2014
    Where did you find that Synology Package ? Wich Repo were you using ?