1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching to FIOS?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Yorkshireexile, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Aug 4, 2014 #1 of 12
    Yorkshireexile

Yorkshireexile Member

May 28, 2003
    I am in Westford, MA and we recently got FIOS in our neighborhood. So I am considering whether to switch from Comcast/Xfinity to FIOS. FIOS is a little cheaper. One thing holding me back is the need to replace the cable cards in my Premiere and my Series 3. Getting these set up in the first place was problematical, with the installer spending hours on the phone.

In general all is working reasonably well now, including a lot of watching Netflix. It does take some 3 hours to download a HD movie from Amazon.

I am looking for advice, stories etc from others who have made this switch. Was it worth it? How did the installs go?

2. Aug 4, 2014 #2 of 12
    Yorkshireexile

Yorkshireexile Member

May 28, 2003
    Something that I forgot. With Comcast/Xfinity I do get their On Demand via TiVo. The Verizon sheet indicates that this is not the case. Is this your experience?

3. Aug 4, 2014 #3 of 12
    Yorkshireexile

Yorkshireexile Member

May 28, 2003
    Something that I forgot. With Comcast/Xfinity I do get their On Demand via TiVo. The Verizon sheet indicates that this is not the case. Is this your experience?

4. Aug 4, 2014 #4 of 12
    Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    I'm jealous.

You can probably leverage the "real threat" of switching to fios with comcast for a lower rate.
    Probably lower than fios.
    Worst case; you switch to fios, at least you have the choice...

5. Aug 4, 2014 #5 of 12
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Cablecard activation with Fios isn't a big deal. It's usually quite easy. The cards needs to be ordered over the phone though. (If you order service online, you can call them afterwards to change the order.)

Verizon's VOD is not supported on Tivo, no.

There was an issue about a year ago when their cablecards would activate but not pair to the Tivo correctly. (You can test this by going to channel 131 on Fios. If it comes in, you're fine.) I don't know if this is still a problem, but if it happens either you or the installer can call support and ask them to manually validate the card. That's the keyword. That should fix it.

Otherwise, I'm quite happy with service. Fios + Tivo = Happy Combo.

6. Aug 5, 2014 #6 of 12
    Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Yeah BigJim,
    Rub it in...
    I can only wish for Fios to come to my 'hood.

7. Aug 6, 2014 #7 of 12
    boyet_m

boyet_m New Member

May 26, 2014
    yeah, once you experience FIOS, you don't want to go back to cable.

8. TazExprez

TazExprez Member

May 31, 2014
    I switched to FiOS back in 2009 and will probably never go back to Cablevision.

9. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    FIOS has an online utility for pairing cablecards - you will not regret switching.

10. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    To be more precise - FIOS has an on-line utility for activating cablecards. They may or may not be paired after using it (mine wasn't). The difference is that unpaired, activated cards get all channels except they won't get premiums like HBO.

11. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Mine worked fine after using the online utility (with HBO)

12. Thos19

Thos19 Member

Dec 31, 2002
    Rockland, MA
    I switched from Comcast to Fios about 5 years ago in Southeastern, MA. The only drawback is that Fios charges $5 per cable card. Is Comcast cheaper than that? It was only $1.99 when I switched.