1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching from DirecTV to Roamio + Minis on Brighthouse

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by mcluvin, Apr 29, 2014.

1. mcluvin

mcluvin New Member

Apr 29, 2014
    I've been using multiple DirecTV DVRs for years and have been pretty happy with the service other than the cost. We're getting ready to move to a Brighthouse area and I'm strongly considering switching to Brighthouse and purchasing a Roamio plus a couple Minis. For those with such a setup, would any of you say it has been fairly trouble free? I would plan on using most of the features such as streaming my own DVDrips and home movies, netflix, etc. Wondering if anyone is using wireless AC or powerline networking successfully?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. May 1, 2014 #2 of 44
    jwall29

jwall29 New Member

Aug 29, 2013
    I use Brighthouse cable in Tampa, Fl. I have a roamio plus with 2 minis set up though western digital powerline ethernet. I use netflix on both minis with no problem. The only problem I have is when I'm downloading torrents and watching live or recorded TV on the mini at the same time, the sound cuts in and out of the mini.

3. May 1, 2014 #3 of 44
    HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    If you're using a Roamio plus then just activate and use moca. That should be better than powerline Ethernet.

4. May 1, 2014 #4 of 44
    jwbelcher

jwbelcher New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I'm on BHN. I'd say fairly trouble-free. You might have a TA hiccup once in a while, but its possible to go months without a TA issue. For example, I had zero hiccups from Dec to Mar. I did have one last night and needed a reboot, so I'm now starting over my days since incident :)

Anyway, you'll probably do better with MoCA than powerline / wireless. I've had 6 minis on MoCA without issues. Netflix has been great on both the Pro and Minis - we've gotten in the habit of using the TiVo rather than switching to the Roku input.

Desktop video transfers are slow at them moment with the latest software, but I'm guessing they'll get it fixed in the next release. Overall I'm happy and would recommend should you decide to invest in owning your own equipment.

I'd recommend to post here ยปBright House Networks Direct when your ready to pair your CableCard.

5. May 1, 2014 #5 of 44
    truman861

truman861 New Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Tampa FL
    If you use Brighthouse, you will need a tuning adapter to go along with your cable card, fyi they are getting harder to get in the tampa bay area.
    Also I have had problems out the ying yang with their cable card and tuning adapter setup. Anoher thing you wont be able to stream programs either to another device such as an Ipad or download them to your computer with the tivo desktop software.
    I myself just left brighthouse 2 weeks ago and switched to Verizon fios which sadly is not avail in all areas of Tampa. No tuning adapter required and no copyright protection so I can stream out of the house which is nice.
    I am running a roamio plus and 3 minis, I run it over the Moca network with no problems. Thats another thing, most Brighthouse routers DO NOT have Moca enabled routers so you will need your Roamio wired via an ethernet cable unless you have a moca adapter somewhere on your network. - Another plus to Verizon Fios - Their routers have built in Moca.
    Food for thought but the roamio and mini setup works great.

6. May 3, 2014 #6 of 44
    mcluvin

mcluvin New Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Thanks for the advice guys! Just pulled the trigger on my order. Should have things setup by next weekend.

Chris

7. May 6, 2014 #7 of 44
    ahwman

ahwman Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Chris,

I'm a BHN customer is SE Michigan with a TiVo Roamio Pro/Mini and I truly hope for your sake you have better luck than I with BHN and TiVo as it has been a complete NIGHTMARE for me since day one. I have literally been working with both TiVo and BHN since last August to try and solve my issue with SDV channels constantly going out and requiring me to power-cycle my tuning adapter every 1-3 days. I have replaced every single piece of equipment on my end including the TiVo as well as having all of my signal levels checked from the pole right to my TiVo by their senior engineer and BHN blames TiVo and visa versa. Finally, throw Motorola into the mix who makes the tuning adapter and it becomes a cluster ___. Sadly, I'm starting to concede that this will never get solved...

8. May 7, 2014 #8 of 44
    Ieolus

Ieolus New Member

Oct 20, 2006
    I use ethernet over powerline from my Roamio Pro to my router (with a gigabit switch in between) and it works just fine.

I have my 3 minis connected via MoCa.

9. May 9, 2014 #9 of 44
    mcf57

mcf57 Member

Oct 19, 2012
    GA
    I am currently using direct ethernet connections to several TiVos (S3, Premieres & Mini) and through several routers/switches. Everything works great.

I have a friend who may do something similar (4-tuner and Minis) & I was gonna help, but they would have to go with either powerline products or MoCA. I initially thought maybe powerline would be better, but maybe not.

When true/direct ethernet is not an easy option, which would be better to go with?

10. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    MoCA

11. mcf57

mcf57 Member

Oct 19, 2012
    GA
    I just realized they have several splitters feeding various rooms. Basically, one coax line comes from outside (cable company) & then goes into a 3-way splitter. Then, each output from this splitter goes to a room with a TV (ultimately where the TiVos will go).

Will this splitter affect using MoCA?

12. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    That should be fine as long as the splitters are rated for at least 1GHz.

13. mcf57

mcf57 Member

Oct 19, 2012
    GA

The splitter is inside the house, behind drywall & not accessible. Other than cutting an access hole (which we have thought about, but are not totally sure where it is at), is there any other way to determine if the splitter is rated for at least 1Ghz?

14. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    Splitters can fail. It should not have been put inside a wall.

15. mcf57

mcf57 Member

Oct 19, 2012
    GA
    Agreed, but that wasn't the question. Again, is there any other way to determine if the splitter is rated for at least 1Ghz?

16. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Not if it's behind the wall, unless you want to open up the wall to look at it. But even if it's just a 900 Mhz splitter, MoCA may still work just fine through it, as MoCA is designed to "power through" splitters. The only way to really find out if it will work through your current wiring is by setting up a MoCA network and trying it out. If it works, you're all set. If it doesn't work you'll have to do some troubleshooting.

17. nooneuknow

nooneuknow TiVo User Since 2007

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    I could never advise anything, except to get an access hole cut if there is a splitter concealed inside.

It could be some completely improper, or under-rated, one. It may have loose connections, or condensation damage (common in sealed wall spaces).

There's too many unknowns to advise anything else. There's no remotely accurate way to determine the rating of the splitter, without access. There's countless unknowns when you know something has been drywalled-in.

18. mcluvin

mcluvin New Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Called and ordered the install for next Friday. Saved $100 thanks to a USPS movers coupon and they are currently waiving activation fees so another $50 there. I got the premier package with lightning 90. The lady insisted I needed to have 1 set top box to get the package price. I didn't feel like arguing and figured I'd just return it after the install, but don't really want to pay $8 per month for something I don't need. Is this true?

Chris

19. jwbelcher

jwbelcher New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Yes, its true. It will break your bundled price and will cost you more. I've had a spare DVR since 2007. Although, it does helps when you have signal issues so your not reporting it as an issue on your TiVo. The first reaction is to blame it on the equipment....

20. mcluvin

mcluvin New Member

Apr 29, 2014
    This is kind of confusing. They require a standard box with premier at $8 a pop, but the standard package doesn't require a standard box (at least not online). If I get standard package with DVR service + lightning 30 it shows as ~$94 online, but does that include 1 DVR or will the DVR be an additional cost?